bittah.com!~ vr headsets - Page 5

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Is VR actually going to take off or just be novelty and disappear like all the other big hype ticket numbers?

To me it's a bit like 3d tv's - they're shit unless you use glasses, and even then it's a pretty meh experience. Decent but not worth the price of the equipment, fact you have to wear annoying glasses and there's fuckall range. I'll only be interested in TV's when you have that 3d experience minus the glasses and it's true 3d. ie holo table!

How about VR? are you going to get an actual VR experience by sitting on your couch/at a computer desk wearing a VR kit? Or does it require you to wander around your chosen room, kinnet style? To me it seems like things will go that way, but it's just too limited by available technology, and you're not getting a true VR experience unless you have the full bells and whistles.

To me (and i really dont know a hell of a lot about it), it's just going to be a glorified immersive monitor you're wearing on your head rather than looking at a monitor.

How wrong am i?
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:52 pm

How wrong am i?
Not wrong, but as bongo says, if it actually lands games from big developers then it has a much better chance, as it is they are tech demos or conversions at best.
For it:
  • Not a gimmick; purportedly does exactly what is says on the tin
    Comfortable for longish periods
    Setup is easy, even for lighthouses
    SLI or Crossfire with 2 cards becomes incredibly feasible
    Not in any way restricted to gaming
    Precedent of people donning things for gaming, headphones, mics etc
Against it:
  • Unless pc is a beast, requires upgrades or new console
    A survey showed a lot of people dont have the room
    Generally disabled people
    Aforementioned headphones, if someones dropped $400 on Audio-technica cans that dont fit...
    Converted games dont suddenly remarket themselves
    The motion sickness that limits the genres a bit
    Difficult to market without first hand experience
    Already some exclusivity bullshit
    Expensive
    Not much content
I read a lot of idle comments about waiting off for 2nd or 3rd 'gen' as well before buying into it, as tho this was some forgone conclusion. Have they even broke even on the costs of production from the current sales?
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:24 pm

To me (and i really dont know a hell of a lot about it), it's just going to be a glorified immersive monitor you're wearing on your head rather than looking at a monitor.
I actually typed this all out in my previous reply but removed it for the sake of brevity - but yes, headset-only basically is a glorified monitor. I played a 3rd person platform game on the oculus and it was just very meh. The headset added practically nothing to what was a bland game. When I tried a room-scale game, it was a bland generic zombie shooter but the room-scale, the 'embodiment' factor, made it into a new and awesome experience. Headset-only is cool and immersive and novel, but its just like playing regular video games on a fancy monitor, and the motion sickness factor makes it an unsustainable tradeoff. Room-scale is a whole new medium, a whole new experience - and there's negligible motion sickness.
Shakey-Lo
It's not Down Syndrome .... honest!

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:00 pm

you can't seriously poo poo it just because the first version of the tech is new, expensive and has some kinks to iron out.

VR is 100% not a gimmick and won't just be for gaming. off the top of my head i'm looking forward to VR state of origin (so i can sit wherever the fuck i want), chucking a frizbee with my bro in england while we VR skype call, re-exploring the natural history museum in london, exploring motherfuckin mars, virtual classrooms, training programs so my kid won't crash my car ... instantly, online shopping, designing things for my 3D printer and stuff.

here are some others: http://www.livescience.com/53392-virtua ... aming.html
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:22 pm

chucking a frizbee with my bro in england while we VR skype call
$1000 well spent
re-exploring the natural history museum in london
wew
exploring motherfuckin mars
ive already been to kalgoorlie
virtual classrooms
compared to a streamed lecture, your virtual presence is adding quite a bit im sure :wink:
training programs so my kid won't crash my car ... instantly
oh, he wont be driving, he only has human level attentiveness and sensors
online shopping, designing things for my 3D printer
VR totally necessary there
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:22 pm

:lol:

!remindme 10 years
edit: wut, that actually works in google
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:57 am

Headset-only is cool and immersive and novel, but its just like playing regular video games on a fancy monitor. Room-scale is a whole new medium, a whole new experience
YES!
Like it or not, VR is being marketed as a gaming peripheral. It has to work as one. Room-scale's greatest strength as a product is also it's greatest weakness when it comes to mass sales to gamers. FOR NOW they want something that integrates with their current gaming, not replaces it. FOR NOW the hardware is too far ahead of the software and market. Headset-only is a necessary stepping stone.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:33 am

Oh i have no doubt that in the future (and by future who knows how things would have advanced in even 10 years time - look 10 years back and it's pretty lol how dated things were). Things like 3d printing is already becoming ridiculous - where they're printing out perfect shaped bones/implants etc for surgeries, who would have thunk that would have been possible so quickly? And that kind of technology is going gangbusters.

VR at the moment though is like those shitty kinnect and playstation equivilants- gamer centric. I agree that I dont think this kind of technology will take off until it's mass market implemented, and doesnt involve needing a wide open VR only space for it. Hell, in 50 years we'll all likely have Star Trek'esque holo VR sex chambers, i hope so anyway, i've got a whole shipload of of busty pirate wenches to work through.

*edit - and I want to VR bang my avatar chick if it's at all possible.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:12 pm

You're not thinking big enough man, the sky's the limit.
Your avatar chick AND your old avatar chick.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:26 pm

You're not thinking big enough man, the sky's the limit.
Your avatar chick AND your old avatar chick.
Nah that other one was newer, this is the original. That other one was a hottie, i wonder what happened to her?
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:35 pm

Rosa Kato.
Happy fapping.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:10 pm

i take it all back

fakkin sold
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:25 pm

real estate will also take advantage of it
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:24 pm

Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:52 am

heh lighthouse guy was aus, didnt know that
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:18 pm

Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:35 am

Just played an hour of Dirt Rally and it was awesome, the VR adds a lot, but 2 things I really noticed more in this game than others is 1) the pixellation/low-res screen and, more significantly, 2) lack of peripheral vision. Obviously this is not a disadvantage when compared to monitors, but rather something you notice all the more in VR - in a rally game you want to see the trees and shit wizzing by the corner of your eye to give you a sense of speed (and a better sense of place) but it's missing. 2nd gen-vr should definitely have wrap-around screens :!:
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:18 pm

2nd gen-vr should definitely have wrap-around screens :!:
They're waiting on the hardware to catch up, it was already a compromise getting this FOV in place at 2160x1200 divided by 2 since it must maintain 90fps. Any more pixels just adds that much more load onto the gpu(s) that must deliver it.

The new nvidia die shrink cards are looking good enough to handle that easily
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:34 am

I'm really loving Dirt Rally, as a teenager I LOVED rally games (including the extremely hardcore Richard Burns Rally) and have even driven a real rally car round a track and I love the VR. Of course I picked a WRX for my practice go but then in the career mode you start in a beaten-up old Mini Cooper bouncing around the track and it just felt so real haha. I started leaning into and out of corners as a bodily reaction... which led me to the thought that someone should REALLY make a motorcycle racing sim (like the old MotoGP game) for the Oculus because even with just the headset you could actually lean your body to shift your weight on the bike, which is crucially important in bike racing. That would be awesome.
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:45 am

my psvr pre-order just damaged my cc, won't be long
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]