bittah.com!~ Mass Effect: Andromeda

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Mass Effect: Andromeda

I've not purchased the game as I've heard very mixed views.

Anybody picked it up and have an opinion to throw into the ring?
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:10 am

Ive only played about 10 hours.

Most of the gripes about the game are legit. The animations of the chars are basically the same as ME 2/3, kinda janky by todays standards. I have had a few technical issues as well with chars being half invisible and weird stuff like floating torsos. Not a lot but more than your avg Bioware game for sure.

In saying that the action play is really smooth and fun. The gameplay is very Mass effcty, as in it allfeels like mass effect and plays a lot like 3 but smoother faster gun/power play. I like it and will finish it for sure (ME is one of my fav series ever) but my main criticism is that after 10 hours nothing feels new mechanics or world wise really. I just finished playing Zelda Breath of the wild over the last 3 weeks and that game fucking blew my mind and turned standard open world mechanics on its head (revolutionary game & a must play for everyone). This is very much the same as ME 3 so far its not open world its big area's with transparent corridors etc, looks openish but its not really.

I'm sure the story will be good it is interesting so far, and the animations are no worse than ME:3 which is was fine with at the time, I just need to put my 2013 hat on and its perfectly fine. One thing is for certain, Bioware need to retire the Frostbite engine and get something newer.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:51 am

ME:3 actually cleaned up the mocap data and hid the more serious errors under darkly lit rooms and shadow. This pile of poop so obviously did nothing but raw mocap and IK limits, in brightly lit areas, and called it a day. Bioware are certainly not known for their animations, but story driven games that have some of the worst in video game history pulls you completely out of any suspension of disbelief.

Also, new bioware tries its hardest to make women look like potatoes. Job well done, i guess.
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:22 am

I'm sure the story will be good it is interesting so far, and the animations are no worse than ME:3 which is was fine with at the time, I just need to put my 2013 hat on and its perfectly fine. One thing is for certain, Bioware need to retire the Frostbite engine and get something newer.
The Frostbite engine is probably here to stay. EA uses it for the Battlefield games (3/4/1), and Bioware used it for DA: Inquisition. It handles scenery and world spaces beautifully, but I've always thought that even in Battlefield, characters don't look great, though they do have nice running animations.

I don't remember animations in DA:I being this weird, though in that game faces were also clay-like and lifeless, with the exception of Varric.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:15 pm

I
Most of the gripes about the game are legit. The animations of the chars are basically the same as ME 2/3, kinda janky by todays standards. I have had a few technical issues as well with chars being half invisible and weird stuff like floating torsos. Not a lot but more than your avg Bioware game for sure.
Cant say i agree with that. Bioware games have generally all been of a very high quality in the dialogue/character voicing and animation departments. I havent played this one, but i can remember no issues similar to what i'm reading and seeing about this in any of the 3 Dragon Age games nor the 3 Mass Effect games. I dont even remember clunky animation/dialogue animation in the older Jade Empire or original KOTORs either.

It looks like they've rushed it out the door and it's been the work of a C team having lost a lot of their core developers. I'm sure there's decent parts to it, but it wont be getting my money which is a shame, as other than ME3's abortive story conclusion, the 3 games really were superb. ME2 was the highlight from a character perspective, but ME3 was technically the best i think.

DAI was also a very solid game just ruined by the ridiculous number of collectibles - meaningless collectibles, ie the offline mmo syndrome.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:31 pm

The thing about Bioware is that it's barely the same team that made Mass Effects 1 through 3, let alone KOTOR or Jade Empire, which are probably underrated games in general.

I feel like when the staff has changed as much as Bioware's has, from top to bottom, we can't be banking on any kind of Bioware Brand (TM).

DA:I was definitely solid but it suffered from an anemic baddie and way too much MMO-itis.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:59 pm

The faces animations are on par with DA:I imo. The voices are only vaguely synced to lip movements etc. If you compare them to Ciri or Geralt in Witcher 3 its nigtht and day. The world scenery and effects look really fucking nice in Andromeda though and so do most of the aliens actually, its really only humans that seem bizzare and janky. Taurians look really good.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDjci1ODoBs

Brings up a very relevant point, the first mass effect game was released 10 years ago and almost has better overall visual fidelity then andromeda
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:17 pm

The faces are ugly and I feel like I'm playing inquisition.

Still enjoying it though. I'm not in love with it but I'm still having fun. If anything it makes me miss Shepard. None of the characters are particularly interesting. They're not bad, but they don't captivate me.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:54 pm

The faces are ugly and I feel like I'm playing inquisition.
That doesn't sound good. Does the combat loop keep you playing? Worst thing about DA:I was the boring as hell combat. The only thing it had going for it was pretty landscapes.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:41 pm

I actually didnt mind the combat in Inquisition. My biggest beef were the nonstop fucking collectibles in the maps, gragh!!!

I read that Bioware outsourced the facial animation - probably explains it in a nutshell. The work of some 2 dorra chinese animation company likely, just to get them done in time for release. Also read they expressly requested focus of resources go to things like armours and vehicles. I mean why would you prioriatise facial animations? It's not like players are going to be looking at them from start to finish...
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:38 pm

There are FAAARRR too many guns/mods/amps/armour/research options in this game.

It is over the top. Too many options. I don't like it. With so many options as well as complete freedom in the class system (although restricted to 3 active skills) I'm yet to find a combat strategy that sits well with me.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:21 pm

CPY Cracked Game Nobody Will Pirate more at 11
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm still quite enjoying it, I like it as I did the previous games, the story is decent enough. It's buggy as fuck though so many times ive had to restart the game due to weird shit happeneing and the scripting is quite poor compared to normal Bioware standards. Some conversations dont make sense, like you kill someone then you have a conversation 2 hours later about that person like they are alive, then talk to the same guy straight away and have a whole diff convo about them dying. The normally dont have stuff like that in their games but its all over the place in this. It feels like it skipped beta testing.

Still a good game though, will be great after the first patch.

Also lol as:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comment ... ource=link
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:58 pm

New patch out, fixed a bunch of the annoying things aparently. they made comsetic changes to eyes int he game which look much better imo, i think they mainly just made eyelids come down further or seomthing but it made people look way less perma surprised.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]