bittah.com!~ Battlefield 1 - Page 2

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Enemy at the Gates was such a brilliant experience, shame BF1 is the exact opposite.
Sarge
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:52 am

bc2 (battlefields peak)
:nono:

BC2 isn't a bad game at all. Certainly it achieves evoking the feeling of how a battlefield experience should be but by no means was it the magnum opus many deem it to be. It is a distilled version. I was more than stoked to have a new BF game on PC after feeling as though DICE had run off with a 2 bit floosey, parading their single player debut on the xbox, knowing full well they expected me to be waiting for them to come back once they'd lost interest in show boating to plebeians. I suggest that that fling, as much a passing fancy as they shrug it off as, influenced the titles DNA and detracts from the concept of a battlefield game in as many ways as it improves it.

BF1 is ok. The open beta map does not feature stagnant trench warfare, which is what I think of when WW1 is mentioned and could be an interesting and immersive multiplayer experience. One that I hope comes to life in some of the full games maps. Though if you really want to examine how the great war played out in all of its theatres, certainly there would have been stupidly unchoreographed skirmishes raging due to sheer lack of information and coordination on all sides and an average public game of 64 player conquest just might embody that.

I would have liked to see a more structured game presented. Perhaps not as a replacement for conquest but rather a reimagining of rush but on a much larger scale, where instead of a dozen soldiers having a brief skirmish in one section of land before moving onto another. An actual trench system could be fought through, broken up by huge swathes of no mans land requiring whole teams to enact a simultaneous push in order to progress the match. I think that would have invoked a much greater sense of how the war in question was fought on the most historically recalled fronts. But hey DICE are exploring the lesser told chapters.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:16 am

Spent some more time playing this last night and had some really good combat in the town area. The destruction really is the best in a BF to date i think. Overall the older style weapons arent as fun to use as the more modern weapons but they're interesting nonetheless. I think it will come down to maps overall - if this has some really good maps it will be worth the pickup.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:22 am

The medic weapons are pretty awesome. Pack a huge punch with quick fire and easy recoil control. Mondragon Marksman / Rifleman is my current favourite. It's 3 shots to kill from 100 health at pretty impressive range before damage fall-off as far as I can figure. With the scope and at range, it's 4, but with it's quick fire and stability (bipod) it's easy shots.

Used the career trick to unlock all the anti tank stuff for assault. The "AT Rocket" which seems to just be a shell or huge bullet (can a WW1 weapons nerd confirm?) is really good and that, in combination with AT grenades and the light anti-tank grenade means a single person can solo a tank if they have cover (in town, basically).

The flak cannon at C is a pretty damn good turret for attacking infantry if you've got a bit of support around you.

The bomber foreward gun is seriously powerful if you have a good pilot, that'll rip through infantry and tanks and you can just blind-fire into cluster points like C/D and rack up the kills. It's easy to aim as well, as opposed to the gun on the back of the bomber which I can't hit shit with.

Gotta say, BF1 beta has been pretty fun.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:53 pm

had a few goes last night on ps4. we only had the desert map, was that the same on pc?

overall it wasn't that bad and not that great either. the ww1 environment is good, the vehicles are amusing. as petty said "wont be a day 1 purchase", might pick it up when it's on sale later.

it's definitely a battlefield game:
50% knowing where the choke points are
30% snipers
10% explosive weapons against infantry
10% vehicle fun
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:09 pm

One thing i was hoping would be much more potent was gas. Maybe if there's trench maps it'll be more applicable.

I found the Rush mode on this map dull but i could imagine it owning on a full on trench map.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:18 pm

I found the Rush mode on this map dull but i could imagine it owning on a full on trench map.
Yeah the map plays out much better on conquest.

Fucking snipers everywhere and it seems like theres less bullet drop in this game than bf3/4?!

The tanks/planes being able to self repair is silly. In a plane with hobbs flying last night when he crashed into the ground, I ended up bailing out early thinking he was done for but it didnt seem like he took much damage at all.

Maybe its a ps4 thing but nobody ever seems to revive or throw ammo/health.

I dont think the map does the game justice tbh and it doesnt really live upto my expectaction of what WW1 was but hopefully that will change with more maps on the western front.

If I pick it up I think I'd have more fun with it than bf3 or 4 but the beta feels underwhelming.

I wish EA had better content in battlefront at launch (so I would have kept playing longer) because battlefront felt alot better than this.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:24 pm

I think they've done pretty bloody well from a WW1 perspective though. Everything about the game feels gritty and old-fashioned. The tanks feel like they're massive, ponderous metal beasts. I am particularly impressed with the horses - as i said above the models of the horse and rider are fucking nuts, particularly when he draws out his saber - the animations etc are so good. You can also drop health and ammo kits from the horses from what i've seen, making them strong in support. I couldnt kill shit with the rifle as it seems weak and doesnt have an iron site, but i took out a ton of people with ride by sabering and that's one of the more satisfying things in a BF game to date iMO.
The sound is also top notch but this has become a Battlefield staple for a long time now.

I suspect this game will have a much better campaign than previous BF's that had campaigns.

The overall map and building damage, random weather effects, off-rail vehicles, sectional vehicle damage, sounds combined should make it worth buying. I found a lot of the time that the combat improved in close to medium quarters when you fired from the hip as opposed to always using the iron sights. It's also nice to know you're not so easily spottable through scopes with nightvision - that was getting ridiculous in the latter BF's.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:46 pm

The "AT Rocket" which seems to just be a shell or huge bullet
The gun fired a 1.2-pound (0.54 kg) high-explosive shell at 800 feet (244 meters) per second; it also could fire an armour-piercing round at 1,000 feet (305 meters) per second. The gun's 40x79R cartridge was a shortened version of the naval 40x158R anti-aircraft cartridge, with the shell case reduced from 158 mm (6.22 inches) to 79 mm (3.11 inches) in length.
:rock:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1.59-inch ... Gun,_Mk_II

I felt pretty neutered as an anti armour soldier before unlocking this glorious bit of kit. You can still deal with vehicles with-out it but it's a pretty massive pain in the posterior.
One thing i was hoping would be much more potent was gas. Maybe if there's trench maps it'll be more applicable.
Get a couple friends to all gear up with gas and smgs, pretend you're plague marines and hold the urban area around C. It creates a pretty awesome atmosphere though you can't see other people wearing masks so that's kinda a buzzkill at the moment.
Maybe its a ps4 thing but nobody ever seems to revive or throw ammo/health.
Nah no ones reviving in general. Frags mean nothing in terms of team score. Which is good and bad, good because you have to actually be obtaining or defending an objective for them to mean anything and bad because you don't cost your team a point by spawning the way Conquest works in previous titles.

The weather effects are pretty nice, watching planes fly in and out of the heavy fog is cinematic as heck. The voice lines are fantastic too, even just the way soldiers freak out when a grenade lands nearby makes me feel pretty bad for actual diggers.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:52 pm

yeah the vehicles are awesome. really wanted to see the war torn europe map. nth africa (or wherever that map was) isn't what I think of for ww1.
In a plane with hobbs flying last night when he crashed into the ground, I ended up bailing out early thinking he was done for but it didnt seem like he took much damage at all.
aha, didn't realise you were in the back when I bottomed out the plane. it was well and truly rooted after that. kept diving and rolling from the damage. throttle and yaw controls on the left controller stick made my bad flying even worse heh. the dust storm later was awesome, threw me around in the wind etc, had to bail out.
Get a couple friends to all gear up with gas and smgs, pretend you're plague marines and hold the urban area around C. It creates a pretty awesome atmosphere though you can't see other people wearing masks so that's kinda a buzzkill at the moment.
yeah this. was watching a doco on the gas in ww1 recently. i thought it was all from artillery but germany had equipment that flooded the fields from multiple locations when the wind was right. could be an awesome 'event' to have during the chaos.

the more i think about it, the more i want to have another look. i don't know how many suckers paid for the season pass in battlefront but it looks like EA is going to make the same mistake again with bf1. i doubt anyone will fall for the 'full price for a thin game, then double price for more later (but its a secret)' crap. hate that model.
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:16 pm

it was well and truly rooted after that. kept diving and rolling from the damage. throttle and yaw controls on the left controller stick made my bad flying even worse heh. the dust storm later was awesome, threw me around in the wind etc, had to bail out.
You can repair the planes by holding L1 I think, same with tanks.

IIRC gas wasnt really very effective in WW1

Sort of related plug but I've been watching 'The Great War' on youtube and its a criminally underrated channel. First upload in july 2014 (100 years since the war began) and they put out a new video each week detailing what happened that week 100 years previous. For anyone that has a passing interest in WW1 I doubt you'll find a documentary packed full of info as this is. I watch an episode or two with dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... w3KxuKsMvT
Last edited by PeTtY on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:20 pm

Didnt buy the battlefront season pass in personal protest against them. They fucking blow the way they segregate the player base. That's my biggest issue with it. I would have liked the content but the fact you cant queue for the modes you want to play (ie Walker Asault) as a whole - you have to queue for a variety of modes PER map pack - utterly sucks ass.

It's been a problem with Bf4 and Bf3 previously, but less obvious as it had servers running custom playlists. IN battlefront without server lists, you have no choice but to queue for the playlists they set - ie segregated based on what you own.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:21 pm

it was well and truly rooted after that. kept diving and rolling from the damage. throttle and yaw controls on the left controller stick made my bad flying even worse heh. the dust storm later was awesome, threw me around in the wind etc, had to bail out.
You can repair the planes by holding L1 I think, same with tanks.
On PC it's by holding X - you see a circle over your crosshair, takes around 5 seconds per cycle i think and while doing it you have no control - so if in a plane, you're locked flying forward until you release it. Adds a bit of strategy to repair which i think is good.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:23 pm

Re: Battlefield 1

Why do they allow in flight repairs at all?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:24 pm

Planes arent nearly as effective as they have been in previous titles so that doesnt worry me too much but being able to repair your own tank needs a nerf I reckon, You don't even need to leave your tank you just park behind some rocks and hold the repair button down.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm

fck me. landing and smashing it with a spanner would've been fine. i didn't think for a second you could just repair by magic :/
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:53 pm

u wot m8

this in bf1 please

source with narration

looks pretty effective :( germany ended up with 500:0 kd ratio from that one
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:03 pm

u wot m8

this in bf1 please

source with narration

looks pretty effective :( germany ended up with 500:0 kd ratio from that one
It got better in the later stages of the war but early on it was a bit hit and miss.

wiki has this to say
The killing capacity of gas was limited, with only about 90 thousand fatalities from a total of some 1.2 million casualties caused by gas attacks.
only 90k dead so no worries.
9:30 in
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:02 pm

Well given the oldschool mechanical nature of the vehicles, it makes sense that they could be repairable. When you do it you hear like a wrench being turned on metal etc, it's a pretty cool addition IMo. It's fast enough that it's viable, but slow enough that it's a tactical choice to do it, you stand a very real chance of getting owned.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:08 pm

Planes arent nearly as effective as they have been in previous titles so that doesnt worry me too much but being able to repair your own tank needs a nerf I reckon, You don't even need to leave your tank you just park behind some rocks and hold the repair button down.
Yeah a light tank can really destroy as it's nimble and small. They need to slow the barrel rotation on the light tank as well because if you're halfway decent, you'll knock out a 58-3 round.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]