bittah.com!~ Rimworld – Dwarf Fortress and Silence of the Lambs IN SPACE

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:28 am

Rimworld – Dwarf Fortress and Silence of the Lambs IN SPACE

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=866pKJDoHj4

“A sci-fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller.”

So this game has consumed my soul and destroyed my will to do anything else except watch as my group of wayward colonists struggle to survive before collapsing and inevitably turning towards cannibalism.

Developed by one dude, it’s been in pre-alpha for years and has recently hit Steam early access and is blowing up.

The game involves setting up a colony on a titular Rimwolrd, an untamed planet well away from the galactic centre where everyone lives. In this wild frontier reminiscent of Firefly, you build your colony from humble beginning to a (hopefully) thriving community, interacting with other communities and managing randomly spawned colonists whom you’ll either get attached to an mourn the loss of (or conspire to murder because they refuse to take the garbage out), reacting to various events ranging from pirate raids to alien infestations or worst of all… packs of Yorkshire Terriers.

Visually, it’s suspiciously similar to Prison Architect, but plays more like Dwarf Fortress with real time combat and a better interface. The base game is excellent as is and is more than worth the price tag, especially given the modding scene and all the content it’s spawned – some are truly phenomenal and once you find a couple that tickle your fancy it’s impossible to go back to vanilla.

The worlds are created at random and with the AI story teller no two games will ever be the same. There are three different storyteller AI who orchestrate your misery – they create events and scale difficulty based on how we’ll you’re doing:
  • Casandra Classic – Scales gently but ever upward, with lots of gifts in the form of random cargo drops, but like space invaders it just keeps getting harder until she pisses in your cornflakes
  • Phoebe Chillax – More of a base builder mode, scales a bit faster early on but with long breaks between events and more than enough time to recover between crises
  • Randy Random – Fuck you, your plans, your happiness, and the horse she rode in on
For the record, Randy is the only way to play. The other two will slowly scale difficulty at a more manageable rate if you’re new to the game, but it quickly becomes stale before reaching a point where the difficulty of the events becomes unmanageable in the late game. Randy scales the intensity of the events, but their frequency and types are randomised. You may see weeks without a single raid, only to have pirates besiege your colony with artillery during a solar flare that knocks out all your automated base defences… and then have a random heard of elephants with a taste for human blood spawn and trample them all to death.

It’s a way more interesting way to play.

Fortunately you can change the AI storyteller mid game, so I’d recommend starting with Casandra while you learn the ropes, the swapping to Randy to get the real Rimworld experience.

Rndy can be incredibly difficult during the start-up phase, raids are harder early on, but he may also shower you with drop pods full of chocolate. Late game raids on Randy are actually not as difficult as they are on Cassandra, however Randy may do them back to back and when the RNG gods decide to end your game it will be spectacular.

It’s possible to customise your starts (and with a mod, even your colonists), however the basic start is three crashlanded spacers with limited supplies – the Tribal start (neolithic primitives whose ancestors blew themselves into the stone age) is prone to getting wiped out by heat waves, although the last alpha has fixed that and there are mods that give options to deal with heatstroke early game short of tossing everyone in a freezer room you may not have the research for, let alone power to run.

Also while I alluded to it in the thread title and opening paragraph, cannibalism is only a last resort if you mismanaged things or get a bunch of REALLY bad events that wipe out our food stocks – that being said last time I tried to avoid putting long pig on the menu and slaughter one of the puppies for meat, a colonist who loved him went postal and murdered half the colony before being put down and eaten raw by the starving survivors.

My advice if to keep dead people in the cooler as emergency supplies.

… this game can get really dark.

Steam Page
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:57 am

Hah good write-up. I saw this game a while back and was tempted to give it a shot as it sounded like a really interesting concept. Same deal with Prison Architect which I agree looks suspiciously similar.

What kind of mods have shown up for this that make going back to vanilla difficult? I like games that throw you in the hard end (aka randy). It's one of my favourite experiences in a Total War game where i get my ass absolutely kicked on the battle and campaign maps early. Far too often games hold our hands rather than punish us for failure. THere's nothing more satisfying than conquering those early problems.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:40 pm

Mood management in this game can be a kick in the dick.

Mods from my experience make the game easier most of the time, this isn't always a bad thing though because if you choose the right ones it shifts the difficulty towards war. Compared to your colonist going on a rampage because their room was messy killing their husband and another colonists wife giving the remaining 2 colonists you have a significant seasonal mood debuff ...with one all of a sudden missing a leg.

I played a lot of Casandra Classic thinking it was the right one to go with. Honestly she is more difficult than randy in my experience but I usually make sure I keep my food in order and build in a defensible area. Half the time I just get sent manhunter packs after me.

I have learnt not to keep boomalopes in a confined area built by you. After I did that they proceeded to eat through my marble walls/defenses and most of my doors/coolers. At least they weren't in my valley after that.
Dodge
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:53 pm

:lol:

intriguing, might pick it up
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Randy is really the only way to play.

Last night I started an ironman run where everything appeared stupidly easy when I spawned in an excellent and defensible mountain location, with a bunch of ancient ruins full of goodies and exposed deposits of rare resources within spitting distance – my nipples got hard.

On day two my single colonist got the flu and died because there was nobody available to give them Codral and a hot toddy and it turns out that passing out on the cold hard ground is super bad for your health in general.

THANKS RANDY!

What kind of mods have shown up for this that make going back to vanilla difficult? I like games that throw you in the hard end (aka randy). It's one of my favourite experiences in a Total War game where i get my ass absolutely kicked on the battle and campaign maps early. Far too often games hold our hands rather than punish us for failure. THere's nothing more satisfying than conquering those early problems.
Mods wise, so far every time I've wanted something I've found "there is a mod for that".

The Steam Workshop is pretty comprehensive and easy to use. First, install “Community Core Library”, it’s to Rimworld what the script extender is to TES games and should be at the top of the subscribed list.

I'd highly recommend the following (ranked in order of my appreciation):

RT Fuses – adds fuses to the game to deal with power surges. Don’t install this mod for your first playthrough so you can experience the joy of power surges, so you can truly appreciate why it’s at the top of the list.

Muzzy-Utils – Quality of life mod that makes some changes to the UI, install it before your first play through IMO.

Laser Drills – Adds the ability to bore holes to tap into geothermal energy anywhere, quite expensive to set up but gives more flexibility than the randomly spawned natural geothermal vents, which may be in less than ideal locations. Really important for some mods that add power hungry appliances.

EdB Prepare Carefully – Allows you to completely customise your start, if you want to spawn a bunch of nudist non-violent hippies or a tribe of cannibals go for it, but be warned that the game will recognise it if you create a dozen max skilled, power armour gods and scale difficulty accordingly - nothing like facing a 50 man raid on your second day when you don't have any defenses or medical facilities set up.

PetFollow – Stops fluffy from standing in front of his masters shotgun during raids.

Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering – this is one of those “I didn’t know I wanted it till I had it” ones, it allows you to create prosthetics and organs rather than having to trade for them and adds a bunch of really good new ones. You should then take the time to create a custom scenario for yourself with one colonist, more machine than man, who never asked for this.

Hospitality – Adds guest beds and the ability to host visitors who will leave gifts if they enjoy their stay and improve relations with their faction... also if they get killed by a cougar en route to leaving the map you'll suffer a reputation loss, but it's manageable... unless a trade convoy leaving the map has a raiding party spawn right on their exit killing everyone.

ED-SubspaceTransponder – Allows you to call trade ships rather than having to rely on randomised traders appearing, which can be especially frustrating if the RNG Gods Randy serves don’t think you deserve a chance to sell all those “donated” organs you have stored in the cooler next to the strawberries. The type of trade ship is still randomised, so you might get somebody who trades in bulk raw resources when what you really want is somebody willing to buy all those nasty raiders you captured who are missing their kidneys.

Efficient light – Reduces the power requirements of lights, leads to less flickering during brown outs.

Mending – Allows you to repair clothing and weapons rather than waiting for them to fall apart, really important as colonist suffer a mood penalty if they are wearing rags.

FashionRIMsta – adds a whole bunch of new clothing options with bonuses to certain activates (surgical scrubs that improve chance to successful remove hearts without killing the patient, chefs hats that decrease the chance of food poisoning) – worth it for the Desert Robes/Fur Coats alone which will allow your colonists to make it through the first heat wave or cold snap.

Double Population – Exactly what it says on the tin.

More Vanilla Turrets – Gives a bunch of extra defensive turrets that feel well balanced and OH CHRIST THE SNIPER TURRET JUST SHOT A COLONIST IN THE BACK AND SHATTERED HIS SPINE OH GOD!

Craftable Medicine - allows you to make standard medical kids rather than having to purchase them from traders. Basic herbal medicine is actually fine for treating most problems, but you need basic medkits for creating some items like advanced hospital beds, definitely get it if you have the Expanded Prosthetics mod.

Combat Realism – I’m really on the fence about this one, but it has won me over. It conflicted with another expanded weapons mod I liked and while there is a compatibility mod between with all the content and options it all became extremely micromanagement finicky, but eventually it won me over - mostly because I uninstalled the extra weapons mod... too many damn options. It changes the way combat works for the better, and adds in ammunition consumables for all weapons (beanbags FTW) and fire modes – leave this for a later playthrough.

The last mod I’d recommend is ez infestation, though I have mixed feelings about it – it trivialises one of the more potentially fatal events and is intended to stop people from trying to play Dwarf Fortress too much, but I really like mountain maps so it’s my one guilty pleasure.

Also the art style was originally a placeholder, Prison Architect and Rimworld don't actually share any code and the devs at Introversion Software are really chill about the art style pretty much being the same.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Pretty pricey game for what it is though.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:33 pm

I checked out an eval copy...

This game is mint
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:21 am

Pretty pricey game for what it is though.
I honestly felt the same and while I've been following it for over a year, when it hit steam I figured I'd wait and see then grab it on sale.
I checked out an eval copy...

This game is mint
So... would you like to amend the first statement?

Only reason I picked it up is that I caught the flu earlier in the month and Stellaris was feeling stale - Steam says I've put in almost 200 hours since getting it , and while I have tendency to leave games running in the background, this game has tickled my OCD buttons in a way few games have and I've been pretty switched on for most of that time.

I'm taking some long due leave in a couple of weeks and fucking off USA for two months, and while I planned to bring my laptop the bloody thing can run Rimworld and I'm seriously considering leaving it.

This game is my heroin man,
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:30 pm

Rofl - this game is amazing. I started in the deep end where I like it - playing both Cassandra and the guy's ai on Challenge mode as i learned the game.

First up didnt realise you could build structures in wood as the default is steel, so was erecting everything in steel which was a lot harder to come by than wood. Learning how to get food, both planted and hunted and the way it works. Had every scenario possible - from a colony member being so hungry it ate a corpse then went mad - sending another mad, so they're all fighting, to killing the pet, to blowing up random creatures that explode and set off a wildfire that will literally spread across the whole map if left unchecked or no rain.

The level of detail and possibilities in these little 2d sprites is insane and hilarious all at once.

5/7
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:29 pm

Yeah the base in my first game was also made of precious steel until I figured out how the build things in different materials.

.... and it turns out fire can melt steel beams.

These days I just rush stonecutting and make everything out of granite and marble.

Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:08 pm

I hope you pay for it, Deepjay - given that you paid for No Man's Sky. This is what procedural gameplay can do if its actually well-designed, rather than slathered over with pretty graphics and a multimillion dollar marketing budget :)
Shakey-Lo
It's not Down Syndrome .... honest!

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:35 pm

Yeah I plan on it. I am a big believer in paying for things that provide legit entertainment, this has already proven to be pretty masterful. No Man's Sky on the other hand I feel like I was robbed.

Had one of my colonists go fruity from lack of food and start lighting fires everywhere. Had this massive fucking fireball blazing towards my base. Have started over so many times, it's fun learning better ways to do things and lol at the different scenarios that occur - like discovering there's such a thing as scythe wielding monster things.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:59 pm

Rofl this fucking game. FU rougey.

I think I'm doing ok - have a reasonable base setup although food concerns as my only cook (whose the only one who can skin animals) has malaria and i cant find a way to cure it. So I'm planting vegetables and fruits that can be eaten without cooking, expanding working on this and that when:

1. warg i've tried to tame is in the house in a semi-tamed state, 50% attacking anyone who goes near it.
2. Sudden lightning storm - i've got fires erupting all over the place

and the kicker

3. Random rhinocerous has entered the building and is killing my guys one by one. First i've even seen one of them ffs!!

I dont want to know any of the answers to things above - like curing malaria, i'd rather just trial and error, but one question i have, can you teach skills to characters? I mean - when you're suddenly without the only doctor, or only cook it gets a bit cunty. I suppose it forces you to look at alternatives but still.

*edit - here is the state of my nation: http://imgur.com/a/F2I9X note the random warg spews around the yard to the south of the building etc

*edit - lol noticed half the map was on fire due to the lightning - the rhino wouldnt fuck off though and was only partially injured. A raid just rocked up and managed to kill the rhino but then carted off my sole survivor from his sick bed. My pet warg is the last survivor in a downed state in his doggy box. RIP.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:34 pm

:lol:
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:43 pm

I dont want to know any of the answers to things above - like curing malaria, i'd rather just trial and error, but one question i have, can you teach skills to characters? I mean - when you're suddenly without the only doctor, or only cook it gets a bit cunty. I suppose it forces you to look at alternatives but still.
Each skill increases the more you perform that task and it also degrades over time.
Spoiler: Show
So if you need a doctor and have a prisoner or someone who is brain dead you can increase the colonists doctoring skill by making them perform operations on a patient.
Dodge
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:43 am

So the new Alpha has just released on Steam.

The good news is, the update ads some features that make some mods obsolete (i.e. Muzzy-Utils, Crafting Medicine).

The bad news, most of your mods will be broken until such a time as the mod creators get around to updating them.

That been said, you can opt out and stay on Alpha14.
For Steam players, if you want to continue with Alpha 14 for any reason, you can get on the ‘alpha14’ beta branch in Steam. In the Steam Library, right click RimWorld, click Properties, go to the Betas tab, select alpha14 in the drop-down list, and restart Steam.

Non-Steam players who wish to update can simply download from the same download link as before; it has been updated to the new version. They should install the new version in a clean empty folder.

Save compatibility: As usual, Alpha 15 will not load Alpha 14 save games by default. However, a user did put together a guide that allows you to manually update save files with some text editing. Check it out here if you really want to try to continue that Alpha 14 colony.

Mod compatibility: Some purely XML mods will be compatible between versions. However, most significant mods will need to be adjusted and recompiled. Beware: If a mod author updates their existing mod to the new version, it’ll stop updating on the old version. You may wish to turn off Steam auto-updates if you really want to avoid this.

Change list:

Tutorial
  • Added new rich tutorial with step-by-step instructions.
  • Tutorial teaches the basics of setting up a game, building a small self-sustaining colony, and defeating the first
    raider.
  • Tutorial locks out irrelevant controls and highlights relevant controls.
  • At the end of the tutorial, the player can continue the game with a normal storyteller.
Learning helper
  • Added new learning helper system to replace yellow pop-up messages and yellow learning alerts.
  • Learning helper sits in the top right of the screen. If something happens relating to a concept the player hasn’t learned, that lesson will be activated and shown on the learning helper. It can then be opened and read. Lessons are automatically marked as learned when the player does the necessary interaction, and can be marked as learned manually. Lessons are shown as needed by circumstance, or on a slow timer. The overall idea is that you’ll never be shown a lesson you already know, but always be shown the lessons you need to know now.
  • Learning helper can be expanded and searched for any lesson, so you can look up how to do a specific thing at any time.
Drugs system
  • Added new drugs system. It’s not just beer any more!
  • Drugs typically create up to four effects. Not all drugs have all effects.
    • Primary – The valuable short-term effect, whether it improves mood or work focus or combat effectiveness or makes one immune to a disease.
    • Overdose – Excessive drug usage in a short time can build up blood toxicity, leading to unconsciousness and possible death.
    • Tolerance – Long-term usage of a drug can build up a tolerance which makes subsequent usage less and less effective in producing the high.
    • Addiction – Drug use can form an addiction. This generates a new need for the drug which the pawn will try to feed regularly. If the need isn’t fed, the pawn will develop withdrawal symptoms (low mood, reduced consciousness). Eventually withdrawal will pass and the addiction will go away.
  • Drugs can be assigned for regular taking through the drug policy system. Similar to Outfits, drug policies are an assigned schedule for taking drugs. You can set any number of drugs, each with a frequency. For example, you can assign a colonist to drink 2 beers every day, and take one Malari-Block every 5 days.
  • The drugs are:
    • Beer – Improved mood but worsened capacities. Addictive.
    • Malari-block – Prevents malaria infection for 5 days.
    • Yayo – Stimulant pleasure drug, addictive.
    • Flake – Cheap, short high, very addictive.
    • Wake-up – Improves work performance, addictive.
    • Smokeleaf – Improved mood but worsened capacities. More hunger, slower movement. Can form dependence.
    • Go-Juice – Synthetic futuristic combat drug. Boost speed and fighting capacity tremendously. Addictive.
    • Luciferium – Glitterworld mechanites that give huge bonuses to most capacities. However, without repeated doses the user goes insane and dies. It is impossible to clear the addiction, and the drug is 100% addictive on one dose.
  • Drugs are produced in various ways, typically at the new Drug Lab building, from various precursor chemicals and growable crops. They require research to create.
Deep drilling
  • The map now spawns with clusters of underground resources. These can be accessed by building a deep scanner to find them, and then building deep drills on top of them, and then working the drills. This slowly produces the resource.
  • Deep drilling tech is at the end of the tech tree. This should mitigate late-game resource exhaustion problems.
Misc
  • Mood is now drawn subtly behind the pawn on the colonist readout at the top of the screen.
  • You can now produce medicine from herbal medicine, neutroamine (a precursor chemical you buy), and cloth. Requires research.
  • Added passive cooler building. Made of wood and low tech, it cools a room for a short time. Good for passing heat waves as a tribe.
  • Added a ‘copy building’ tool which lets you quickly select the designator for a building through an existing copy of that building.
  • Beer production now takes several stages: Colonists make wort (unfermented beer) at the brewer table, then leave it in fermenting barrels for a while, after which they can harvest it as beer.
    Infestation can now only spawn under a thick roof.
  • Gear tab now shows aggregate stats about armor and comfy temperatures.
  • Raider steal a bit more often now.
  • Factored MapGeneratorDef apart into separate GenStepDefs which can be modded or inserted individually. This will allow modders to change the MapGenerator without blowing away each others’ changes.
  • Added alert: Need warm clothes.
  • Mods can now be dragged to reorder them in the mods page.
  • Re-tuned food finding algorithm.
  • Hunters will no longer hunt without a ranged weapon.
  • Debuffed corn a bit.
  • Reworked trade interface to clearly state what kind of trader they are, and to list items they’re not willing to trade.
  • Reworked trader stock generators so traders carry and accept more sensible items for their type.
  • You can now request traders by calling allied factions. It costs silver.
  • Chance to spring known traps is reduced from 2.5% to 0.4%.
  • Friendly fire chances reduced by 60% for fly-by shots (shots that miss and land in the cell with a pawn have the same chance to hit as before).
  • Added a message when food spoils in storage.
  • Fix: Pawns don’t get ‘catharsis’ mood gainer thought after a mental break.
  • Rename PDW to Machine pistol.
  • Torches and campfires are no longer destroyed near-instantly by rain/snow. They instead consume fuel faster.
  • Torches consume fuel a bit faster overall.
  • Fueled generator consumes fuel faster and holds less fuel.
  • Plant sow and harvest are now slower.
  • Debuffed fists.
  • Reduced volume of idle animal calls at high time speeds.
  • Smithing is now a prerequisite for Machining research.
  • Added a toggleable view that shows roofs in glowing green.
  • Hundreds of other balance changes, text fixes, redesigns, and bug fixes.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:46 pm

SSo with Alpha 15 out, I’ll have to put my last Colony to bed and start anew. I’m kind of sad I won’t see the ending of this one, granted I was close to calling it quits anyway, but I got one good story of it which I think is worth writing up.

Eva was a mountain fortress nestled in the arid badlands of a desolate rim world. The colony was first settled in a small valley near some geothermal vents, but after tunneling revealed a large clearing deep within the mountains the colony uprooted itself to new quarters nestled around the hidden valley.

The entrance to the colony involved passing through the “atrium”, a small clearing with a manmade pool also revealed during tunneling, converted into a killbox. While later the defences would move to the valley before the atrium where the original colony was set up (I got about a third of it built before the patch), during the early years of the colony (all of Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday) many raiders died in that 11x20 space.

Founded by three shipwrecked colonists in their fifties, Anne the Doctor, her geologist husband Easy and their “friend” Johnny, an engineer.

The first colonist to arrive was Emmie, easily the most fucked up colonist spawn I've ever seen and upon reflection, the key agitator in a chain of events that almost bought the colony to its knees - or at least the one who caused enough chaos that other events did their damage.

Emmie sought refuge with the colony with pirates hot on her heels and Johnny, being the starting groups best shot, nailed the pirate with a well-placed bolt action round. He then beat the pirate to death with his fists, something which really improved his mood after days of sleeping on the cold hard ground - turns out he's a goddamn bloodlusted psychopath.

Emmie struck up an immediate friendship with the blood soaked engineer. She also quickly befriended Anne and Easy.

She was non-violent, but pretty good at cooking and cleaning and beautiful, everyone loved her.

She was 14 years old and her backstory was.... sex slave.

I was really horrified by that one, but it gets worse.

Emmie was a hell of a cook, and pretty much lived in the kitchen. Seasons passed, and other colonists joined and were lost, however the core group of the starting three colonists plus Emmie endured. I was starting to wonder when somebody would make a move on Emmie, but figured there must be some soft cap on relationships with underage colonists.

I'd stopped wondering about it, until a raid started.

Emmie's husband was one of the raiders.

I’m not sure if they were the same group of pirates Emmie was running from at the start of the colony, however the dude was in his fifties and I'm going to go out on a limb and say she ran away from the sick twisted son of a bitch. Usually when relatives show up, I'll go so far as to save scum in order to capture them and recruit them into the colony.

Not this time.

Johnny's charge rifle blew off a leg and he was chewed to death by a fox.

God I love this game.

After the death of her estranged husband, the now sixteen year old former sex slave shacked up with another kind and non-violent soul… or so I though. I can’t even remember the dudes name despite him being one of the first to join after Emmie, but I nicknamed him Mr Rasputin.

He was the colonies chief grower and occasional craftsman, constantly passing through the kitchen on the way to the freezer hauling crops he eventually struck up a friendship with Emmie that blossomed into a romance. Mr Rasputin was a bit neurotic, but his relationship with Emmie kept him on the straight and narrow.

That was until she reject his marriage proposal, to a whopping -25 mood loss.

Rasputin soon sunk into a deep despair. He was unhappy all the time, and started getting into fights with other colonists. After one raid in which his sister died (I honestly can’t remember if she was another colonist, raider, or random visitor – I had a lot of people die on me) his mood worsened and he was constantly on edge.

He started going chain berserk.

At first it was funny, the non-violent plants dude deciding to punch on with ex-pirates and space marines, but after getting through three episodes of Peaky Blinders and having to knock him on his arse at least a dozen times I was starting to get sick of his shit. I was willing to give him a chance, after all he was the only one who knew how to grow healroot and I figure everyone has a bad turn every now and again, but after somebody lost a thumb trying to put him back in the goddamn infirmary I decided to just shoot the bastard the next time it happened.

And here is how he got his nickname, he just would not die. Over the course of his various rampages he gained various scars, lost an arm, two fingers, a couple of toes, a foot, and a kidney but the fucker just wouldn't die, by this stage he was getting closer to having the mood loss timers form his dead sister and marriage rejection run out so I figured if the tough son of a bitch lived, with a very bionic limbs would be worth keeping around.

But when he ripped the ovaries out of one of the domesticated foxes I decided it was time to go out of my way to off the bastard.

Having him live in the atrium (read: killbox) for a season didn't work – I gave up on it after I started building the outer wall defences. I also considered having him “accidentally” get walled in during construction of said outer wall... preferably with a cooler having it's heating side facing him, but eventually I decided the best way was to line him up with a bunch of surgeries with Johnny, who being a murder happy SOB wouldn’t be to put out if he died on the operating table. Johnny was very interested in medicine but only had a skill of three, so I figured I'd give him an opportunity to practice.

When looking up the surgery list I found an option called "euthanize".

Huh.

And so after having two peg legs installed successfully without incident, Johnny smothered him with a pillow.

When I put him down everyone only suffered a -2 loss to mood and while I think that’s a little low for giving a human being the old yeller treatment, I like to think that after assaulting half the colony during his depressive period everyone had enough of that shit and when Johnny came out of the ER and said he died peacefully in his sleep everyone just went with it.

Emmie got over his death very quickly, their love had cooled (especially given she was a frequent victim of his rages) and turned her attention to a married man.

Easy, the Husband of Anne.

Their affair was what really kicked the fun off. Anne was pissed, but she was made of stronger stuff – Iron Willed and all that, she didn’t go crazy, but she did she did get into a fight with another colonist who insulted her, who just happened to be the next best surgeon after her, then decided she really didn’t want to see to his wounds and went to hide in her room.

Turns out she actually liked Mr Rasputin, after spending hours talking and tending to the Dr. Jekyll side of the man, and with her marriage break up it was enough to put her in a bad mood.

Anyway, the other surgeons wounds got infected and with the subpar treatment from Johnny, who didn’t have any medical supplies because we’d run out of good stuff years ago and all the herbal medicine had been used on fucking Rasputin, who was the only one who could grow the stuff, whom now resided in a granite sarcophagus.

By the time Anne stopped being a bitch and went to help, he was already gone too far. We went to amputate his hand, but she really must have had it in for the guy and removed his fucking stomach

Johnny was once again called upon to brandish his pillow and put the man out of his misery.

Now, with no medical supplies and only one good surgeon I was really feeling the heat.

Emmie, the Lolita bitch, then ended things with Easy and moved onto her next chew toy. Easy, after destroying his centauries of marriage for some harlot who dropped him like a bad habit before the season was over, was rather put out and went walking around in a half crazed daze, stripping off his kit in the hot summer sun, before collapsing from exhaustion.

He wasn’t able to participate in the next attack, in which a pack of raging wild boars overran the defenders at the partially complete fortification, because of a goddamn mod conflict between More Vanilla Turrets and Combat Realism resulted in the auto-turrets refusing to fire. Nobody died, but nobody standing on the wall was left uninjured and most where unable to walk... except for Emmie who refused to pick up a gun, or scalpel apparently with her medicine score of 0.

Oh yeah and we still didn’t have any fucking medicine.

I rage quit pretty hard last night.

This is why children should not be sexually active before 16.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:16 pm

lol - in my short time playing this i've seen so many similar situations to what you described above. The game is amazing - it's batshit insane crazy in its difficulty and unfairness, but so good because of it.

I had this awesome colony going on the weekend and then of course bam, sudden lightning storm - but then fog that turned into foggy rain. Up down up down up down.

I think some of my favourites though was that random rhino inside the base (turns out it bashed the door down) that i still dont know where it came from, oh and the herd of deer that rampaged my base when i hunted one (had no idea they mobbed on occasion when angry) - and probably the most passive death spiral yet - i had a husky and about 4 others self-tamed i think because of that original one of mine - so i had 5 huskies that were my attack dogs as i trained them to be released when someone was conscripted. Well these 5 turned into like 10 - fucking puppies everywhere! Totally ate all of my already scant food - i couldnt bring myself to butcher them myself but holy unpredictable batman.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:12 am

FYI - Prison Architect is currently 75% off on Steam. Similar style of Dwarf Fortress-inspired gameplay.
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:31 am

Fun fact, Rimworlds working title was "Starship Architect".

Prion Architect is an excellent game, I haven't played it in years but it has the same kind of masochistic game design ruled by the glorious RNG gods that make Rimworld a lark.

I think last time I played I built what was, in my mind, the most amazing prison - huge cells, lots of light, plenty of amenities... I started taking in low security dudes and slowly building it up until my high security wing was ready. Unfortunately you don't get as much funding for low security dudes as violent offenders, so when I ran out of cash I took in a a bunch of supermax dudes.

Within two days my prison was trashed, infirmary was overwhelmed, morgue overflowing, and my budget was in the red. One of the fuckers got loose in the administration wing with a shiv as well and that was that. I think version of the alpha was when they improved the riot system, so prisoners where more inclined to cause trouble for a bit but I honestly felt that build was unplayable in terms of actually making a successful prison, still a lot of fun though.

Where as Rimworld is like the Sims where you don't get to create your Sims and they all seem to subconsciously want to maim each other throughout various disasters that re-occur on a near daily basis, Prison Architect is more of a a city building game where all your citizens want to break everything you build for them, beat up your workforce and shank each other in the showers/yard/canteen/etc.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]