bittah.com!~ Doom

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Fri May 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Doom

Single player is actually really fucking good, at least on par with if not better then any of the serious sam games. Map design is good at least so far, first two missions are kind of linear but then the third mission is actually a real maze-like doom map with gotta go find keycard sections and shitloads of hidden secrets. I played through the first two missions then did them again to 100% them and then did mission 3 100% and it's taken me 6 hours so far. Gameplay is great. Worries about being forced to do melee kills animations to get health and ammo are completely unfounded, the melee kills give you jack shit and you have to not get hit in the first place and hunt around for ammo packs as you fight.

Multiplayer is more or less what we saw in the beta, it's not gonna hold up to quake 3 as an esport. Snapmap is more of a mario maker co-op style ordeal limited to 4 players, which will be really fun but it's not going to allow us to rebuild cpma unless you only want to play 2v2. Really hoping they bring out proper mod support for the multiplayer because otherwise it'll severely squander the success of the single player section.

Also the music was done by the Killer Instinct guy. So good.
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 14, 2016 7:32 am

I didn't get to play the multiplayer beta but from the footage/streams I watched I wasn't a fan at all. The robotic looking character models and the neon coloured weapon skins just looked horrible.

Now that the game has released I've been watching some streams of the single player and it looks pretty damn good. I didn't mind Doom 3 but it felt more horror and less action, whereas this looks like a return to the fast paced non stop action from the earlier Doom games. The soundtrack is bloody good too.

Probably won't be getting the game as I'd much rather play this on PC than console. I'm interested to see how it fares when the reviews start rolling out. Definitely keeping my eye on it though.
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 14, 2016 12:09 pm

It's interesting the idea of creating a modern version of those oldschool games. I played them all back in the day, the original Doom, Doom 2, Quake etc such a different style of gameplay to what we have today. I'd be curious to try this just to see how it plays based on those old games.

These guys havent been all that good though in recent years have they? What was that wasteland type game they released a few years ago that was hyped as but ended up mediocre?
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Faillout 4? :D
RAGE is the game you are thinking of DJ - wasn't good, wasn't bad but reinforces the idea that id should stick to making game engines rather than games... except Unreal Engine seems to be more popular.

Quake 3 is where id peaked I think although I miss the Q3 engined RTCW.
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 14, 2016 2:43 pm

This is the best single player FPS campaign I have played in AGES. It's smooth, looks great and the sound is fantastic.

the level design is just an absolute achievement imo, the secrets are actually quite hard to find, sometimes still even hard if you have found the map and know where they are. I love how it feels like Doom/Doom2 but they have added in such well done verticality and speed.

The weapons and their mods are all really good. It all feels very natural to upgrade your stuff like it was always a part of doom. Playing on hard is a decent challenge too.

Loving it so far. I couldn't give a shit about its MP though really, was never a huge quake/UT guy and it feels just like them to me in MP.

p.s. ^ RTWC was one of my favourite games, I loved the MP in that.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 14, 2016 3:29 pm

Hearing lots of praise for wolfenstein new order. Anyone played?
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Hearing lots of praise for wolfenstein new order. Anyone played?
I've played both New Order and Old Blood .. they are big games 38gig ... but gee they are really good fun and challenging. Any game that allows you to use stealth instead of run-and-gun is great imo. Is the new Doom lots and lots of enemies swarming over and over like serious sam/painkiller/original doom ? Thats sounds very meh to me. Continuously killing enemies get boring real quick.
AoD
calm

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 16, 2016 11:27 pm

About 25 hours to finish the campaign on nightmare while 100%ing every level, good value just for singleplayer. Level design was amazing aside from a few parts in the middle where it went back to being quite linear and also closing off the area behind you so you can't go back and get secrets.
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]