bittah.com!~ Darkest Dungeon

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:12 am

Darkest Dungeon

Dark and brutal roguelike, turn-based, dungeon crawler / mental-illness management game absolutely dripping with style and ambiance, this has consumed every spare moment of my past week.

The art style is utterly perfect, and carefully shepherding a stable of heroes through the gloom and doom is unbelievably satisfying. Permadeath and autosaves means everything matters. Your guys will die, but if you're careful you can ensure it's the ones you care slightly less about.

Completely worth the $20ish on GOG right now.
punk
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:35 am

looks pretty cool
ColonelBlair
bittah, jaded, anti social freak
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Have had an eye on this since early access on steam and heard good things. Will probably write off this weekend to it.

Narrator bloke also does a bunch of readings of Lovecraft works, which is worth a look/listen.
Seraphic
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:43 pm

So it's out of early access now then? Have had it on my wishlist since it appeared on steam but I was waiting for it to be fully released. Won't get around to playing it for a while anyway so might as well wait for a sale
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:11 pm

I have nothing but love for this game - well worth the money, frustrating and awesome at the same time. I played through beta and with release, started from fresh again.

It's my personal pick for GoTY
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:12 am

I'm certainly interested
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:41 am

Pretty well rated game, only criticisms appear to be the late game grind to get your heroes to high level, the sheer complexity of all the weakness/strength/positioning system and that you are forced to use of all heroes.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Bought it and started playing it today.

While I'm still struggling to understand all the mechanics (as well as what to upgrade when, what to buy as provisions etc.), it is a pretty sick game so far. Just finished the first dungeon.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Bought it and started playing it today.

While I'm still struggling to understand all the mechanics (as well as what to upgrade when, what to buy as provisions etc.), it is a pretty sick game so far. Just finished the first dungeon.
Yeah it's a rough go when you first start out. I'm finding myself at a wall at the moment with two of my guys level 3 and they wont do low level stuff, but I cant bring two other guys with me to do lvl3+ stuff because they just get destroyed. I can kinda get through a medium map without too much hassle but events can and do snowball into failures of devastating (and expensive) proportions. So now I'm stuck grinding 'easy' maps with buggerall reward. The caretaker taking up spots this early in the game is just bullshit, I might add.
The lack of map variety at the moment isn't helping either. Explore 90% or kill all encounter rooms. yawn.

For provisions, I usually take a full stack of torches, 10-15 food and a couple of those white vial looking things. (They clear debuffs). Then, depending on which map you are doing- bandages for bleed or anti-toxin vials for plague. Or both.
I don't understand food usage though, I'll enter a new room and the dialogue pops up saying party is hungry, eat or dont eat. I'll eat. Then the very next room it pops up again? Other times I can do an entire medium length map (10+ rooms) and never see the hunger thing popup.
Seraphic
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:10 pm

Upgrade the stagecoach as far as you can as a priority to keep the live meat rolling in and barracks for a roster that can interchange. Don't be afraid to lose characters - sometimes they come off the stagecoach with average to lousy traits. Bump tavern and abbey next to reduce stress and follow up with the blacksmith and then guild.

Sanitarium is something to hold off - its cost is nuts and it's easier to chuck the crazies out unless they have decent traits.

I'm experimenting with both the leper and the abom right now, I hate the restrictions on who will come along if you've chosen an abom.
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:33 am

Food does seem random, but I've come to regard it as just another roguelike enemy, countered by simply bringing more food and being careful to always keep 4 in reserve unless you're enroute to the last room, or can handle the stress impact.

If you're confident with your starter maps, run full dark no torches for more crit and loot. I generally don't bring torches unless it's a full group of L1s in Apprentice or L3 in a Veteran run, as you can counter surprise with a flexible movement group, or by using appropriate camp skills / trinkets.

So far my favourite groups seem to involve lots of movement skills - Jesters, Grave Robbers, Highwaymen, Crusaders etc. Optionally with a Vestal or just more pewpew. The are invulnerable to surprise and the facemelting dps and long reach solves most problems in the first two rounds.

I actually find medium maps easier than short, often the camping phase allows that extra bit of flexibility for handling snowballing stress or hp problems, whereas short maps with the reduced food supply and sometime shitty layouts can be much trickier, and even if I get everyone home successfully they usually have severe masochistic afflictions and need to flagellate themselves for a fortnight.

Fucking great game.
punk
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:50 pm

This game is extremely addictive.

I've got a few guys to level 3, but trying to raise my general collective to the same level.

As it stands, I struggle in dungeons without my Jester/Occulist combo. The stress relief and bleeds of the Jester combined with the high risk high reward heal of the occulist is something I struggle to live without. I find the Vestal heals are too low to really save the group in a tight spot. Getting a crit heal of 24 from the occulist is a real game changer, even with the occasional bleed effect.

I'm committed to trying some different combinations though, so many possibilities.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]