bittah.com!~ Conan Exiles

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now

Midair

Playing now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:49 am

Conan Exiles

A new survival game based in the world of Conan (aka the Hyborean Age).

Good: OMG Conan!
- Really quite like these survival games and their building/pvp elements.
- Has a strong pvp emphasis

Bad: OMG FUNCOM
- Funcom
Funcom has become notorious for their abysmal Age of Conan - though I will say I personally got a lot of entertainment out of this quite a way down the track, i didnt get dipped in the salted Jade Lake on release. I also got a ton of pvp jollies from stalking noobs in Tortage as an assassin - good times. I like that Funcom places an emphasis on PVP in most of what they do, which should translate well into a survival title.

Most of all though, i'll have my eyes on this one by default as I freakin adore Conan. Robert E Howard's Conan stories and lore occupies a fond, warm, wet place inside me and anything based in this world immediately has my attention. This may suck but based on that first sentence, I hope it rocks. Also love how the Conan in that trailer is similar to my minds eye Conan from the fiction.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:51 am

If ever there was a survival game that would hook me I this this theme would be it, love me some Hyborian age shenanigans.

There is a fucktonne of survival games just suddenly coming out of the wood work in the last wee while tis the fad of the moment and most fucking suck penis though hoping this has the goods because well Conan is awesome. It is kinda like Warhammer though the property is fucking tops yet generally they produce steaming turd piles of games based on them. (DoW excluded because DoW owns)
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:20 pm

These survival games are getting better and better though. Love or hate Funcom, at least they're a proper developer with funds behind them, meaning it'll elevate their game above a lot of the 'cheaper' herd. When you look at the quality of something like Ark though -fun times.

I partcularly like games where you can manipulate/affect the environment through voxels or what not. Happy to see games evolving this way. Keen to see what this one has in regards to forming actual cities, hope they take it further ahead than previous games.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:10 pm

I played a lot of Age of Conan back at release. I actually really liked the game despite my PC not being able to run it all that well. It felt dark, violent and the environments were really harsh. The world and enemy design were definitely highlights for me. It was just a shame the way the combat worked with the combinations you had to press and the fact that we didn't have a local server made playing a melee character very difficult in PvP (almost impossible). PvE worked but it was far from perfect.

Too many survival games coming out lately but I have to say if they put in the effort and make a good quality game based on Conan, that's something I'd play. Not sure I like the name though.
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Yep the basic combos were ok, but the 3+4+5 direction ones + latency were impossible to pull off.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:55 pm

building cities sounds good. assuming it'll be like swg where you get access to new stuff once your city gets to x size.

not much info about. also arnold confirmed there's a script for 'legend of conan' movie. based on the end shot of destroyer where he's on the throne.
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:18 pm

The cities thing has always been something that Funcom has been interested in. They touted Age of conan as having massive sieges and clan battles etc but in reality they were shit. Clans or whaever they were called had their own frontier borderlands where they could occupy these huge camps. They didnt remotely feel like cities and they were kind of like what you had in guild wars - a clan base with npcs etc, but ultimately boring design.

With this game and developments in recent survival games, for the first time you may actually be able to create cities or towns that actually resemble towns. If they run with the modular construction seen in things like Ark - where really big bases are achievable, i'd be interested to see what they're working on.

Construction of that scale really hasnt been a reality in these survival games until these latter generation ones. Rust then Ark specifically. I dont really rate H1Z1 as the building is barebones modular. But there's no way a company like funcom hasnt taken inspiration from all of these games.

Personally i'd love to see a game that looks like Landmark - graphically sex with completely modifiable voxels (aka you literally mine into it and can shape the ground and can 100% control what you build) and see a survival/pvp game based around that. Like the voxelfarm engine that's floating around. That's the kind of thing that really excites me in modern gaming. Pity Landmark has basically been buried thanks to Gaybreak. Was excited to see what Everquest next might pull off in this regard but it seems like it'll go the same way. There's no way gaybreak will inject funds into it when its far too risky to pull revenue from. That and EQN looked just like Landmark with some classes thrown in (which landmark alreayd had) aka far less impressive than what i think they were aiming for. Still, you never know.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:47 am

there have to be restrictions for online tho. you've seen what happens when they let you build anywhere, it just gets retarded.

dayz arma2 epoch mod (the real pioneers in this genre imo) had the plot pole which i think is missing from all these games. you have to buy them from an npc trader but when you plant it you can then build within a 30m radius, prevent people from building within your plot, manage repairs on the base and manage who was allowed to build on your plot. the idea was that when raiding a base you would try to find where their plot pole was and remove it. so every base had a vault behind the secret wall in their basement surrounded by concrete and steel containing your plot pole. it was a great idea. they made a similar mod for arma3 including lighting and electricity but they will only attract mod players. it's interesting watching the larger games catch up ;p

fucking dey-break games killed the development of h1z1. for a while it was winning survival games but they claim they're moving to modular building like epoch/ark/rust which simply won't happen. you can buy 50 crates with 1 guarantee'd rare for $165 tho, so there's that ....
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:54 am

That's not much of a problem though. On Ark for example you cant build too close to enemy structures - it recognises base structures like foundations, and you cant build too close to them. Plus if the owners of a particular base see another going up nearby, you're very likely to see them either discuss it and form a sort of no-attack alliance, or just outright kick them the hell out.

It's like Archeage though - that also promised the ability to create player made towns and cities, and yeah pfft it wasnt even close. Just a random mis-mash of the same looking buildings. Aka balls.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:24 pm

Personally i'd love to see a game that looks like Landmark - graphically sex with completely modifiable voxels (aka you literally mine into it and can shape the ground and can 100% control what you build) and see a survival/pvp game based around that. Like the voxelfarm engine that's floating around.
Not sure how well that would work in an online environment where pvp is one of the main focuses. I imagine building something brick by brick would be very time consuming. Time is a luxury you don't really have in an online pvp type game.
dayz arma2 epoch mod (the real pioneers in this genre imo) had the plot pole which i think is missing from all these games. you have to buy them from an npc trader but when you plant it you can then build within a 30m radius, prevent people from building within your plot, manage repairs on the base and manage who was allowed to build on your plot. the idea was that when raiding a base you would try to find where their plot pole was and remove it. so every base had a vault behind the secret wall in their basement surrounded by concrete and steel containing your plot pole. it was a great idea.
Rust had a similar thing called the tool cupboard.
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Not sure how well that would work in an online environment where pvp is one of the main focuses. I imagine building something brick by brick would be very time consuming. Time is a luxury you don't really have in an online pvp type game.
Nah it wouldnt be that bad - though it would require a lot of pre-thought/planning. In Landmark for example, you can select a great big space - like a big box, and instantly fill i with voxels. Boom - a house. You then reduce the size of the box, subtract it and it's suddenly hollowed out. Put in doorways/windows etc. The creativity of what some people were making in it was simply incredible. I'd like to see this concept taken to a survival game - where you're actually needing to build for survival, or for a purpose, rather than just an aimless sandbox. That was Landmark's biggest issue, there was just no point to it. It never said it was anything other than that either so it's not it's fault - but there was little reason to stick around once you got your building jollies, either.

Which is why it's now basically dead weight in the Daybreak portfolio as they didnt build any revenue streams into it.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:09 am

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:57 am

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:02 pm

Staring to look pretty good - hooaaaa Conan etc

http://blog.conanexiles.com/en/an-updat ... an-exiles/
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:13 pm

Damn, the voice over and the music really geeked me out
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:13 pm

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm

wth... seems excessive to have in the game.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Dont be so negative. Appreciate that the balls are animated seperately from the cock...

Also, Age of Conan was one of the first MMO's to have full nudity - well boobs anyway. They said they included peens for diversity and hey, i for one appreciate being able to customize my dong.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:06 am

it's going to be a sweeet game when it's evolved

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... y-s-YPPmiw[/youtube]
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:17 pm

Bought the game when I heard what they planned to do with their sorcery system, that shit sounds amazing, but I haven't played it a lot. Trying to find a good server is still a major problem because you have the choice of playing of "official" servers that are completely unmoderated and full of cancer, or custom servers where the population may die or the server just goes offline. I honestly wish they'd can that whole system of server bound dayz stuff and just make it like an MMO, or like terraria where your characters are clientside and can move freely between different worlds/servers but servers have the option to force you to play with a fresh character with items only found on the server.
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]