bittah.com!~ Total War Rome/Attila

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:06 am

Total War Rome/Attila

So I picked up Rome II and it's DLC on the Steam sale and gave the into a go as DJ recommended it/couldn't believe I'd never played a TW game - still working out the bits and pieces but can see how it's good value. Was chatting to a couple of mates about it and some were arguing Attila is better, others that it was worse. I was thinking of picking it up as well - worth it or not?

Rome II is pretty high on my backlog list now.
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:21 am

Started Atilla yesterday, didn't grab me but on a basic mechanical level it's better then Rome and the AI didn't spazz out in front of my city gates and let a platoon of elephants get stoned to death.

TBH I always have a soft spot for Empire, the battles where often buggy as all hell and fuck forts with a rusty poll, but the campaign felt suitably epic and cannons, despite being hilariously OP against AI, where fun.

Sea battles were the tits.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:27 am

The thing with Attila that differs from Rome 2 - it has a much darker narrative. It's about the period of downfall after the Roman empire (or moreso - in its decline), where there's whole cultures migrating, and the Hun's are sweeping in from the East. Graphically it's gloomier, there's much increased fire elements and complete razing of settlements. It's doom and gloom and the graphics reflect it.

Rome 2 was a lot brighter. It was the forming of the empire and many others. The graphics and map are considerably more vibrant as a result. The units are also earlier, so you have your classic Roman legionaries, your Spartan hoplites etc.

I think my favourite TW is still Shogun 2 (except for the naval battles), but Rome 2 and Attila are superb. I was also a big fan of Napoleon - not so much Empire as I dont really like that time period.

Medieval & Medieval 2 were also awesome. I suspect that'll be their next main historical title to release, Medieval 3. But of course their next is Total War: Warhammer and by accounts that's going to rock socks.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Re: Total War Rome/Attila

I picked up fall of the samurai and Attila this steam sale. Will be playing Attila second but looking forward to a huns campaign (horse archers were so broken in barbarian invasion).

I liked the scale and naval combat of empire but shogun 2 is my current favourite. Arguably more immersive, and sometimes I wish my ninja would fail his mission to see the clumsy ninja cinematics :D
Freddy
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:36 pm

They went the extra mile with Shogun 2 - everything from the beautifully hand drawn loading screens, to the unit icons, unit intro movies, the music etc - was all so well done. Was thoroughly and utterly feudal Japan. Rome 2 felt skint in comparison. Atilla has also brought back a number of key features that Rome 2 lacked - namely the family tree, 4 turns per year, and a far better political system.

The problem with Rome 2 was, with 1 turn per year, you're spending so much time putting skill points into agents, generals etc, and they die like flies - you dont grow any attachment to them like you did in Shogun 2 where you'd look after your favourite ninja, favourite General etc. Atilla has more of that. Rome 2 was also pretty bad on the agent spam front - you'd have your city surrounded by no shit 15 enemy agents, all debuffing it to fuck etc.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Sigh... Total War series on sale, go into thinking I'll just pick up Attila and it's DLC for a rainy week... buy the whole damn series. As soon as I saw Napoleon, there was no way I was going to skip it... then Last Samurai in a game... then... "I should really just drop it into the bundle they have for sale for Empire/Medieval etc".... Someone take Steam away from me PLEASE!!!!!

Now I just need to quit my job.

Cheers for the write-up guys.
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:52 pm

They go on sale pretty regularly, and for dirt-cheap. No rush either, you can chip away at the bastards for years. They're not perfect games either, each has their flaws.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:10 am

I think the best way to experience total war games is find what year the particular version is release, add 5yrs irl then purchase, that way youll have skipped past the 18 months of dlc, patching and have probably upgraded twice to brute force your way through their atrocious campaign map gpu performance. If you like multi-gpus, skip their games entirely.
DOX
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:57 am

Yeah the map panning has been bad in certain titles - i remember it was a bit of a shocker in Napoleon.

It's fine in Rome 2 though - but of course was initially bad. In Rome 2 it was super smooth until you selected one of the units on the campaign map - then took a noticable hit to FPS. They fixed this though so it's silky smooth. Attila didnt have this problem and it also smooth - Attila's map also looks great.

The other issue Rome 2 had on release - well one of many, was a ridiculous time waiting between turns while the ai factions made their moves. It's still not amazing but nothing like it was. Attila isnt too bad - but it's usually end turn alt-tab, alt-tab resume.
Deepjay

[ignore]