bittah.com!~ Jurassic ark

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now

Midair

Playing now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:47 am

Jurassic ark

ARK: Survival Evolved is an unreal engine 4 game that uses the framework of games like DayZ or Rust to give us the pokemon MMO we've always wanted.

In ARK: Survival Evolved the primary goal of the game is to capture and raise an army of fucking huge dinosaurs and use them to fight other players and their army of dinosaurs and become king of the jungle. It is actually that awesome.

It runs like shit though, avoid unless you have a really powerful PC and don't mind playing at 30fps

Thought there should be a post about this.
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Saw the recent announcement trailers for this, and while it looked pretty good, goddamn these survival games are a dime a dozen. Check the steam store, there's like a new one released every second day. Was initially really keen to check some of these out (well did with H1Z1 and one or two others) - but i just find them meh these days - even this one with its dinosaurs.

They all release in a similar feature-lite state, and given the sheer number of them now, you'd only expect to see several really make it. It's a side-effect of this early access / kickstarter aids period we're currently in.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:00 pm

Saw the recent announcement trailers for this, and while it looked pretty good, goddamn these survival games are a dime a dozen. Check the steam store, there's like a new one released every second day.
yeah my nephew is keen to play one of these and checks them all out, but the early access shit, sometimes for years, is a major turn off

he keeps asking, if this genre seems so popular, why hasnt any big developer released one.. i think he doesnt know most triple a devs are consoletards and this genre probably cant run on them
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:51 pm

Saw the recent announcement trailers for this, and while it looked pretty good, goddamn these survival games are a dime a dozen. Check the steam store, there's like a new one released every second day.
yeah my nephew is keen to play one of these and checks them all out, but the early access shit, sometimes for years, is a major turn off

he keeps asking, if this genre seems so popular, why hasnt any big developer released one.. i think he doesnt know most triple a devs are consoletards and this genre probably cant run on them
H1Z1 is probably the best of the bunch imo. It gets fairly regular updates and has aussie servers. Never played Dayz standalone and havent played rust in a while but yeah If your gonna drop cash on one of these 'early access' games of this genre h1z1 would be my pick.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:07 pm

I was watching Twitch of this last night and the dinosaurs were barely a threat - the big buggers taken down no sweat.

I'd like a survival game where surviving really truly is a cunt - and not just the player element.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:15 pm

@petty - I haven't played H1Z1 but Rust has come a long way in the last 6 months. Apart from performance taking a massive hit with the new map which needs optimizing, there's enough content and working features that they could release it tomorrow if they wanted. They won't though, I don't think it will ever leave early access but the point is it's a solid game now.

I watched a bit of ARK on twitch and I don't know, it just doesn't look right to me. As DJ said there's just too many coming out now, it's hard to take any of them serious. It's taken off though, the peak player count on steam today hit just shy of 37k which is not uncommon for these types. They start off strong but taper off quickly, even DayZ and Rust have taken a hit
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:37 pm

I was watching Twitch of this last night and the dinosaurs were barely a threat - the big buggers taken down no sweat.

I'd like a survival game where surviving really truly is a **** - and not just the player element.
This is exactly my attitude the whole time since dayz was a mod for arma 2. I've played for a while now and am still almost completely defenseless, velociraptors will outrun you and kill you in like three hits, the only dinosaurs you can tame easily are weak ass herbivores.

Maybe whatever you were watching was like 30+ hours into the game and had access to better stuff, but the environmental threat is far greater in this game then any other in the genre.

I figured the survuval burnout would be pretty far for you guys, but I didn't play DayZ since it started focusing on pvp more then zombie survival, and completely ignored rust, so this came along at the right time.
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:13 pm

Nah i watched a bunch of naked starters taking down brontosaurus and similar herbivores which yeah non carnivorous - but were going down so easily.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:07 pm

apparently you can summon raid boss type dinos? That would be pretty cool imo.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:24 pm

Nah i watched a bunch of naked starters taking down brontosaurus and similar herbivores which yeah non carnivorous - but were going down so easily.
Well I don't know about that but I killed a triceratops and it took like 10 minutes
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:02 pm

There were like 10 people, with spears and slingshots

*edit actually it was an angry joe broadcast. Typical stupid shit with a caster, running around with 10 fanboys loving all over him
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:59 am

Apart from performance taking a massive hit with the new map which needs optimizing
This is no longer correct. I haven't played Rust for 3-4 weeks so my information was out of date and it appears they have improved it a lot since then. Jumped on this morning and after an hour of playing my FPS did not drop below 40, with most times being 50-60+ FPS where as before I was getting <20 the majority of the time. Yay for optimization :D

On the topic of steam player counts, ARK has hit 52k peak players this morning, with Rust on 25k. DayZ and H1Z1 way down the list at 8.6k and 9.3k respectively. Interesting.
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:57 am

Yeah but it's only just come out. Give it a week or two and the masses will hAve shifted to the next one or returned to their h1z1 rusts etc
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:23 am

Jumped on this morning and after an hour of playing my FPS did not drop below 40, with most times being 50-60+ FPS where as before I was getting <20 the majority of the time. Yay for optimization :D
Yeah I'm getting a steady 70-80 FPS now on my GTX 970. Used to get 40 or less.

Came back this morning to the same server and spawned on the beach...must have been raided last night :(
Xandrax
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:33 pm

Fuck all y'all I lead a tamed dodo army to certain death it was fucking amazing.

Raptor mount soon.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:13 am

So I ended up checking this out despite thinking it looked like balls in streams and some 200+ hours later, I'm hooked like a motherfucker. I only took a gamble on picking it up as a bunch of AE guys were playing it and I wanted to join them and christ I'm glad i did.

My only other real experience with these games was H1Z1, and i can say that the two of them are very different experiences. H1Z1 is almost solely kos pvp. Once you get into a fight, there's really nowhere to hide and you usually either fight or die. In Ark, hiding is a real thing. Unlike when I played H1Z1 - nametags are only visible if you're right up in someones face, so if they prone you effectively lose them. I know H1 changed this too, but the other part is that ARK has some of the densest, darkest jungles and foilage i've ever seen in a game of this sort, so running is completely viable, even if your opponent is mounted.

The things that have me loving this game are as follows:

1. The dinosaurs are far better implemented that I imagined. They're still not much of a challenge in a PVE type setup, but it's more their integration in how they are used as mounts/tools/weapons. The wild dinos themselves are great and in two distinct groupings: herbivores & carnivores. The herbivores passively wander around, often in herds of the same type, while the carnivores actively hunt them. All over the island you'll see gangs of raptors killing triceratops, or T-Rex chewing on Brontos. There's a huge dino AI update coming down the track where it's adding advanced behaviours which should be even better again. The only real issue with dinos currently is some of them take a very bloody long time to tame, and on pvp servers losing them can be painful. It's much easier to kill someones dinos than tame them, and keeping them locked away in a safe pen is mandatory. There's a ton of them now with some carrying out very specific roles (such as collecting flint for ammo, trees, berries, meat etc). They also cover things from ground gameplay to air, to a really well implemented sea side of the game. Soon as you mount an itchyosaurus (dolphin) and cruise through the water, or get on the back of a T-rex which feels beyond badass, it's hard not to be sold. Even better when you're munching other players - like on a super fast, long-jumping sabretooth tiger.

2. The environment itself not only looks amazing, but is seriously interactive. Everything can be harvested from the rocks to the trees. You can take a thick as fuck jungle that looks brilliant, and completely deforest it. The jungle is dark with individual tree shadows looking particularly natural, then opening up light within it as you fell trees. It's hard to explain what i mean here, but the denseness of these trees is not something you see often. When building a base, trees/rocks/anything spawnable will no longer spawn within a 75 metre radius approximately. But if you take all the base parts and plonk them down in a deep patch of forest, it's very damned difficult to spot from both the ground and the air due to the thick tree canopy. Unless someone comes and cuts the trees down around you, or a bronto knocks them down, it's hidden. There's new snow and swamp biomes going in very soon which will add even more diversity.

3. base building is ridiculously fully featured and a lot more complex than H1Z1's. You harvest resouces from the map then build pieces that can be put together to form the base. They're not prefab bases such as H1z1, they're freeform. You start with things like foundation blocks, pillars and so on, then can style the base however you want. There's 4 tiers currently, thatch->wood->Stone->metal, with higher tiers again coming, including a sci-fi hgh tech tier. You can build up to a point where you power the base with a generator, fueled by fuel made from oil taken from the sea, where it can be electronically lit, air-conditioned (as temperature plays a large part in the game), and a fabricator unit which can make metal armour, advanced weaponary like assault rifles, and even auto-turrets for base defence. As it stands offline raiding can be a problem, but with a nerf to grenades and explosives, only higher powered tribes will be able to easily penetrate rock and above, where metal will require some serious pre-thought. As it stands though, base defence on a pvp server is important, and the more layers you add the safer you'll be. That and building a fuckoff massive vault item to store goodies.

4. All of the above - it's basically how these things all work together that make it such an awesome experience. They patch 2-3 times per week, each patch adding serious amounts of features. They have a list of things coming in the future (mostly covered in their weekly newsletters) with some ridiculously cool shit. The biggest difference between this game and its competitors though, is not only does it feel considerably more feature complete than any of the others, out of all of them, i firmly believe they have the capability to realise everything - such as laserguns mounted on t-rex's. In recent weeks, performance has also improved by a huge amount. Like most early access games, this still does fluctuate patch to patch, but from when i first started playing, it's gone from sluggish to completely playable. My own tribe now has been involved in being raided and raiding, and busting into other peoples bases and taking their lootz never gets old, particularly when you're ripping holes in their base with your massive T-Rex's and Spinosaurus, then completely the breaches with grenades and c4.

These games are a total dime a dozen, but this one is pretty bloody unique in what it's currently offering - both feature-heavy and a list of boner-inducing things to come. #gotw
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:26 am

BTw this is coming likely this week also. You can even build auto-turrets on this mofo

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:22 pm

You could tank HP and put a few auto-turrets on that.
I wonder what happens to the materials if the bronto gets eaten. :?
Vishus
calm

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:08 pm

They'd all go boom like when destroying a building. I imagine a Bronto with +hp stats would be pretty bloody tanky though. Our T-Rex's have around 10k health, that's a hell of a lot for even a sabre to take out.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:14 pm

been having a few runs in ark. the skill tree is great and a good way to keep ppl coming back. i spent the first few runs farming XP to unlock new craft items and figuring out which dino's will fuck me up. the base building that i've seen is very similar to epoch (modular, not pre-fab) but you can't simply find the right materials, you have to have the blueprints unlocked first. the grind in ark is more about putting the time in, not doing runs to find the materials. no other survival games that i've played have this system but the rewards are there if you put the time in. i'm undecided whether i like it displaying who owns a structure, same with the global chat. it does deter kos and promote alliances etc but there's something about the "you're totally on your own" tension in h1z1 that i do like. the dev support is excellent, tbh there are only 4 things i really dislike about ark, most of which i reckon they'll fix soon:

- graphics, particularly glare, general lighting and water reflections are poor, but they're concentrating on features for now (aka alpha)
- the AI path finding of the dinos is woeful (complete with moonwalking) but again, alpha
- no 3rd person view plus the player cam seems to be in your belt (you're eye level with bushes all the time)
- you can't craft with items in an open container, you have to have them on your person

there are two things that are shitting me in h1z1:

- cars falling through bases
- crops are glitchy

i like both games for different reasons, one day a survival game will actually be fucking released (imagine that). what surprised me was how ark took off. last time i checked ark was averaging around 60k players whereas h1z1 averages 15k. 'jurassic world' effect? more likely the XP/unlock system which is effectively the carrot in front of us donkeys looking for an endgame. in h1z1 you have full access to everything from spawning, you just have to find it. it's like arguing whether star wars is better than lotr tho, they're both awesome for different reasons.
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]