bittah.com!~ Bloc N Load

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 4:33 pm

Bloc N Load

The absolute last thing i need at the moment is another game to play - I've got so many 'in progress' that i couldnt possibly have more in the way of gaming AD&D. But in saying that, I was looking at Twitch the other night and i think for the first time ever, actually paid attention to one of the commercials. It was for this game, Bloc N Load. I then checked it out on Steam, read a ton of favourable reviews and splurged.

And promptly found the game is addictive as fuck. It's literally Minecraft crossed with Teamfortress 2.

Essentially, the maps are made up of Minecraft style graphics and completely voxel based. They're not the most cutting edge graphics, but they have been finished off somewhat (similar to Landmark) with the maps almost entirely destructible. In a nutshell, it's 5v5 class based combat on local australian servers. The game is as simple as defend your base while destroying the enemy. The main target is a large cube object, with 1-2 cubes on average before it that need to be destroyed first in a link before the main base can be contended.

The game feels like one of those rare gems that just works in an amazing way (not unlike Teamfortress). There classes are a combination of defensive/support, full assault and heavier front-line. You're given complete freedom as to how you want to either attack or defend. The map starts with a 4-5 minute period where you and your team setup defences - including things like building the defensive targets in, or setting up elaborate killzones - then the barrier drops and it's all in.

You can either attack in the normal way above ground, or can burrow through. You're given everything from sentry guns to mines, grenades, rockets, gas traps yadda yadda. You're also given a range of different block types depending on class - for example the soldier type class has concrete blocks which are harder to drill through.

Every player has 2 weapons, a special skill and a tool. The tool is used for both building things (such as walls, weapons, defences) and cutting through other blocks. Destroyed blocks give a resource income which is then spent on building things.

It's just a nuts game - the freedom to build and destroy really suits the style of gameplay. Recommended!
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 6:57 pm

sold! can't wait to give it a try
lenny
calm

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 7:22 pm

Seriously, it's addictive as fuck. Never seen anything about it ever cept for that Twitch ad.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 8:10 pm

while it was downloading I tried to watch some twitch streams of it but not a single person was streaming it :/
lenny
calm

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 8:10 pm

I got to 1:44 and decided to buy.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Hasn't taken more than a few mins to find a game so far. I don't think many people know about it tbh
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 11:20 pm

A few big YouTubers have done paid promotions on it, so seems like they're really trying to get it out there.
Tazzie02
gold star
gold star

[ignore]

Post » Tue May 12, 2015 8:37 am

Sounds like a fun game. Ima give this a go!
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 9:14 am

So anyone pick this up? Thoughts after a few games? Had a pretty long round last night with Sotha - became a bit of a stalemate but was great fun.

There's a new character unlocking sometime this week, then another two in about 20 days or so.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 10:13 am

This is surprisingly fun and gets better the more you play (i.e. when you actually figure out whats going on). Had fun last night.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Yep I got it. The first couple of games I played by myself with randoms, which was kinda frustrating as we either had too more offence and no defence or rock solid defence and no offence. Convinced a mate to get it (well bought it for him) so we could play as a team and thats when it got crazy fun.

Basically now we just go full offence with forward spawn points and just relentless zerg rushes. Sometimes tunnelling under their base right to the back of the map and putting a spawn point up. Most teams have nfi where you're coming from so it stays up for the entire game.

I started out playing longshot who is fun but not the best choice out there. Now running with sarge stone who is just win win when you pair him with cogwheel. Would love to see some 5 v5 with voice comms because this game has a lot of depth once you get your head around it.
lenny
calm

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 1:11 pm

Yeah that's the best part i think, it's deep as deep. There's so many ways you can attack or defend. I like trying to mix the defence up a bit. Last night i had a bunch of turrets, had buried the base cube in a brick bunker and had laid mine traps on all the incomming paths. Had this damned Cogwheel just suiciding at me nonstop - was trying to get his special mortar strike onto the base - stupidly. Ended up with something like 68 kills.

Also finding it's key to learn how to mine materials well. As defensive engy i've been building a bridge out to some of the side islands then just hoovering the stone off them. It lets me keep up around 4 turrets and flame traps.

But i have also discovered how awesome it is to setup a forward base with 2 sentries or so. Block the sentries in so they're not easily destroyed, keep them repaired with that glue gun and profit.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 1:33 pm

Yeah that is one thing I am still getting my head around. The most effective type of building during the setup phase. Is it better to dig a massive pit around your cube, or better to build a structure around it? Also what is better bricks or the sand blocks?

I have found you're better off putting all your resources into the first cube rather than divide them equally for each cube. Solid defence at the first one for as long as possible has helped me win games more often that trying to fortify all of them.
lenny
calm

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Bricks are decent, but sandbags are stronger - but only certain classes can build sandbags - both soldier types for one. The engy cant.

And whether to brick it in or not depends on your team. Last night i bricked it in because i was getting constantly attacked and they were long range spamming - i would have built more of a wall but the middle of the map was trashed.

Thing is, a good place will dig through the first layer of the cube wall, then will build himself in and start wailing on the cube - you have to then cut in to get them - can be a prick and they can do a lot of damage in that time. Really have to be careful of that. If you dig it out, least then they have no course of building themself in. You can also surround the cube with mines, gas traps, tiki masks etc - that helps, but getting resources to constantly replenish them can be hard if you're solo defending.

Use that building phase to lay radars, cut out the cube, lay defences around it, lay traps all around the place - like mines on your side of the wall so they run around the corner etc. Then also experiment with creating places that they funnel in - like build a passage, or even create a gap in a wall of blocks - they will usually run through it...into your mines. I find digging one cube down and building a mine is great as you cant see it until you're on it and it explodes.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 2:53 pm

BTW there's also white blocks which are concrete. You can unlock the different colours as you level up - apparently its in the block choice menu (i have been asking around as i couldnt work out how). Apparently these white concrete blocks are the same density as brick.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Is it 1v1 or can you play in a group of say 5v5? It's all multiplayer I take it?
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 3:49 pm

It's 5v5 but you can invite friends into your party. There's a ranked mode going live at some point this week. It's matchmaking, kind of like Heroes of the Storm, and has aussie servers. And yeah multiplayer only, other than a brief tutorial. Oh and you can queue solo of course, if that's what you're meaning by 1v1. You can also host custom games, if you wanted a bro only match etc.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Oh by the way with mines, also confirmed this. You can bury them two blocks down and when they explode they will still do full damage.

So you drill 2 physical blocks down - build a mine, then build a brick on top of that mine, it will still blow up as its a 360 degree radius. You can create uber mine fields this way (cept mines are pricey at 200 resources a pop). They'll also catch any fuckers mining beneath them too if they come close enough. I wasnt sure if the player had to physically see it/go near it - but the hiding trick works a charm.

Those class videos in the LEARN tab of the game cover off on some really good stuff for each class, particularly their defensive abilities etc for protecting the base - like mine traps etc.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu May 14, 2015 12:37 am

woop der it is
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Thu May 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Yes and? Just your usual wheelchair trollish bs?
Deepjay

[ignore]