bittah.com!~ DiRT Rally - time to beat 4:51

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now

Midair

Playing now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Sun May 10, 2015 10:29 am

DiRT Rally - time to beat 4:51

thoroughly impressed by codemasters early access rally game. $35 USD on steam, the sound is excellent, every groove and bump in the track affects the car and it's so god damn pretty. i didn't expect it to run so smoothly on ultra settings.

these two clips are from my attempt #26 in greece with the good ol' subaru. using a usb logitech controller (not a wheel ... yet) but this game has really rekindled how much i enjoy the learning curve of a good rally game. as you get faster in the early turns you have to keep adjusting for the later ones now that you're at a higher speed. mistakes are punishing, my first dozen or so attempts ended with the car being destroyed or wheels coming off.
Nasty Hobbit
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Sun May 10, 2015 6:05 pm

Yeah damn that looks amazing. I was so sick of where Dirt went - aka into the extreme sports style rally games. Was a big fan of the old Collin McRae rally's on console.

A little surprised to see a game like this come out firstly on PC and secondly in early access. How is it early access exactly? Why wouldnt they just release the whole game? What are they actually testing? Seems to be Early access is increasingly an excuse to ship something out as soon as its playable to start harvesting money in.

But great to see a return to this type of rally game.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun May 10, 2015 10:06 pm

yeah it was a quiet EA release. what's there now is pretty damn polished. the price is going up later, 14 cars and 6 stages are available now. they're working on more stages, cars and modes (like hill climb). also something about team management in career mode where you hire (and pay contracts) for 4 engineers with varying levels of competency.
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 12:30 am

Those front-on camera angles almost look real! Lol @ the car roll, too.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 2:53 pm

yeah it was a quiet EA release. what's there now is pretty damn polished. the price is going up later, 14 cars and 6 stages are available now. they're working on more stages, cars and modes (like hill climb). also something about team management in career mode where you hire (and pay contracts) for 4 engineers with varying levels of competency.
Thing i dont get though - why wouldnt they simply work on all that stuff and then release it as a full product? You never know what the hell you're buying these days, there's so many levels of pre-release, pre-alpha, closed beta, open beta, early access etc etc.

I guess on the plus side it means we're seeing more games released more often, some of them of a very high quality like this one. But on the other side, we're seeing smaller games, like W40k Regicide - it's really quite good IMO, but it's also just two chapters per side, one board. No campaign, no other chapters etc. In reality should have held off and released with a bigger overall package.

What these early access/release/whatevers do is kill the marketing hype. Look at the buzz for Witcher 3 - it's through the roof. Fans will be rewarded with a full game for their patience - feature complete. Dirt Rally - releases just recently and i hadnt even heard of it. Word of mouth speaks highly of it - but it's like skipped that entire marketing campaign path and will probably be much smaller because of it.

Know what i mean?
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 3:41 pm

Yep I know exactly what you mean. By the time the game is ready for a full release no one gives a shit about it anymore because they've already either a) played the shit out of it, or b) decided that it's not for them and have moved on never to look back. Single player games should never be early access in my opinion. Imagine playing something like Divinity, Pillars of Eternity, Witcher, etc and only getting access to a new part of the story every other month. Not only that but it will be even more bug ridden than usual.

About the only type of games that might fit the early access model are multiplayer games because they are forever changing either through new content, balance changes, etc so there's not really much point waiting for a full release. That said, when they do release as early access they need to have a decent chunk of content in the game already and this business of only having access to 1 or 2 missions, tracks, whatever with one car or gun is shithouse. A major issue I see is the developer can cease development at any time though.

Having bought Rust ages ago and watching it evolve into the game it is today has been a pretty good experience. It's very polished, with loads of people playing. About the only issue I still have with it is the performance has gotten progressively worse each iteration but they are apparently working on it.

As for Dirt Rally, it does look pretty good but I will be waiting for some more content before digging in. Great to see it (at this stage at least) only releasing on the PC platform. It runs and looks like a dream I've been told. Would be good to get some use out of my wheel again though.
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 3:57 pm

Yep I know exactly what you mean. By the time the game is ready for a full release no one gives a shit about it anymore because they've already either a) played the shit out of it, or b) decided that it's not for them and have moved on never to look back. Single player games should never be early access in my opinion. Imagine playing something like Divinity, Pillars of Eternity, Witcher, etc and only getting access to a new part of the story every other month. Not only that but it will be even more bug ridden than usual..
Yep that's what I mean - there'll be a little buzz, people jump in, play it then get bored because there's buggerall content. They'll then return and check it out piece by piece until they move onto the next thing.

There are definitely some games that suit this model really well - those that constantly evolve. Things like Landmark and Space Engineers, Space Engineers in particular has literally been created from the ground up and is constantly evolving. But a rally game?? I mean come on - there's literally no reason why this couldnt have been developed further and released a final product. They're just trying to bend the model around something that's unneccessary.

The game looks mad, but it shouldn't be playable until the entire game is there, not just an early demo as such.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 4:01 pm

Also lol @ rolling the car then keep going to finish the stage without skipping a beat :P
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 8:13 pm

i prefer to call it an enhanced compression turn ;)

agree with everything above re: EA bs and have said in the past I wouldn't do it again. with this one there's more content that i realised sorry. the subaru only let me pick one of two stages in Greece but each car category has access to different stages. i haven't tried career mode yet, still in training with custom events.
• DiRT RALLY AND THE COMMUNITY: The community is DiRT Rally’s co-driver and their feedback will help shape the evolution of the experience. For players joining DiRT Rally in Early Access and the road ahead, the team want their feedback. They’ll be helping to test theories and providing vital data that will help to refine DiRT Rally.

• EXPERIENCE 3 MASSIVE NEW REAL-WORLD RALLY LOCATIONS: From the start of Early Access, DiRT Rally offers three massive environments and 36 challenging stages, with more to follow. Drive them during the day - in dry, overcast, sunny, misty, wet, rainy and snowy conditions - and then take them on at night for a very different, intense experience that will challenge the elite.
the line between EA and beta is getting pretty bloody thin these days. in this case there was no question that i was going to buy it, i suppose i get a discount.
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 9:23 pm

Yeah I know how that works. I'm the same with anything warhammer, I'm all over it even if it's super early gamma release beta
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue May 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue May 12, 2015 7:21 pm

:lol:

rally drivers are the goods, never been interested in formula 1, bathurst or nascar lady boys. doesn't matter how many laps you add it's just not as awesome as what rally drivers can do.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEuZG37gFdM&t=61s[/youtube]
(skip to 1:01) cannot fkn wait to do pikes peak in dirt rally
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue May 12, 2015 8:14 pm

Like the one whose car killed a kid on the weekend? :p
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue May 12, 2015 9:44 pm

lol, too soon? :lol:
this is why you don't spectate at amateur events, even in the "approved areas" like where those 3 kids were in WA
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue May 12, 2015 10:03 pm

Yeah i dont think i'd ever be comfortable speccing rally IRL tbh
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 12:06 am

Re: DiRT Rally - time to beat 4:51

Yeah i dont think i'd ever be comfortable speccing rally IRL tbh
Especially with hobbs at the helm
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 10:48 am

slander! those cars in h1z1 rolled themselves!
apart from that airstrike my BR driving record is flawless <3
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 13, 2015 11:05 am

Re: DiRT Rally - time to beat 4:51

Just because nobody died doesn't make it flawless :p
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 27, 2015 8:04 am

It's almost a month since the surprise Early Access release of Dirt Rally, and Codemasters has added some new stuff. Specifically, Pikes Peak International Hill Climb—the infamous Colorado route. Dirt Rally players will now be able to ascend the Rockies in modern full asphalt, or classic asphalt and gravel variants.

To help reach the top, three new Hill Climb cars have also been added:

- Peugeot 405 T16 PP
- Audi Sport quattro S1 PP
- Peugeot 205 T16 PP
\o/
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 27, 2015 8:59 am

My favourite and go to car in any rally game was always the Peugeot 206. I wanted one of them irl with a fat rally body kit. Such horn vehciles IMO
Deepjay

[ignore]