bittah.com!~ Pillars of Eternity

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:30 am

Pillars of Eternity

Couple of years back, game developer Obsidian were in a bad way.

After a publisher cancelled a major deal, the developer went through a period of layoffs followed by months of fruitless pitching, before somebody pushed the idea of doing a kickstarter to bring back the isometric party based CRPG, reminiscent of Baldur's Gate, Torment, and Icewind Dale. They where not all that hopeful, after a dark period with a fast looming "hard deck" where the company would run out of money, moral was low and they didn't expect to make more than a couple of hundred thousand at best.

But when a game developer with luminaries like Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer and Tim Cain from a company founded by Black Isle refugees with other classic developer names like Troika, say to the internet "We want to make a niche RPG like those of the infinity engine" in a time where kickstarter is taking off and nostalgia for these games is strong with a core audience made up of thirty something men with plenty of disposable income, you get Four Million Dollars.

Two and a half years later, Pillars of Eternity comes out... and the verdict?

A modern day classic.

If you ever loved Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape:Torment or Arcanum, buy this game.

Don't ask questions, just do it. Do not look up any trailers, don't read any material, walk into the story blind and claw your way through it trying to piece together the puzzle.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:41 am

I watched a bit on Twitch, i really dug the way they told story with still images, very effective, very oldschool, and imo, more evocative than most story-telling methods in modern day gaming.

The combat looked a bit clunky though?
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:51 pm

I actually used to get irritated from handling 6 different characters at once in Baulders gate etc. Wonder how this plays.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:40 pm

I've been playing and it is fantastic. The storytelling is top notch.

It feel basically the same as buldurs gate etc but with a bit more polish around controls etc.. If you didn't like buldurs gate/Torment or neverwinter nights you will not like this game. If you did like I did then you will LOVE this game.

It's complex, deep and hard, very hard. I had forgotten what it was like to use my brain during an rpg. I used to play these infinity RPG's on hard so I thought hey, lets start off challenging... apparently in my old age or maybe due to the easiness of games in the last 10 years I have got lazy but holy shit is "hard" actually hard. I am now playing on normal :)

Its actually quite pretty with its painted backgrounds etc but it is not dragon age inquisition, if awesome graphics are your bag this will also disappoint, in saying that I haven't had an issue with them at all they seem to fit and I really have a feeling of ye'old from when playing bulders gate etc.

I am really REALLY enjoying it thusfar.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:44 pm

i'm yet to hear a bad review from ppl playing it.
"fucking awesome" comes up a lot
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Combat is very tactical and I wouldn't call it clunky, at least once you figure out that positioning of your party makes a lot of difference with the fights. I was getting dunked on a lot at the start, until I figured out how to position everyone and to always move about in scouting mode. When you've gotten that figured, it's just a matter of deciding how many spells you're gonna burn during the fight and then it's more resource management.

You do need to micromanage in fights to an extent, if you plan on just rushing in, you're gonna be spending a lot of time pulling teeth.

There is a lot of lessons learned and quality of line things built into the game, two decades worth when you think about it, and I have to say that despite the inherent difficulty (even on easy) combat flows pretty well once you figure out the basics.

In terms of Characters, I can heartily recommend the Cipher AKA Mind Rapist. Their spells don't do as high damage as the wizzard lobbing fireballs or AoE like the druid shooting lighting from it's arse or the, but their attacks don't have friendly fire and the rely on a casting resource called "focus", basically mana that you get by stabbing/shooting people.

Druid is a close second favorite, due to the aforementioned arse lighting. Their attacks are almost exclusively AoE and god help any friendlies caught int he blast radius, but hey, any enemies are fucked as well.

Plus you can turn into an eight foot tall beast and maul shit.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Yeah positioning in fights is key. You can so easily take out your own party :)

I'm playing as a ranger, I have an antelope pet !
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Pillars of Eternity

I discovered BG long after it was antiquated and I never enjoyed NWN (mostly because the story was just meh), but I adored Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall. Is this game still not for me?
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Well it depends on how much you liked Baldur's Gate.
3havoc
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:03 pm

Was going to make a thread on the weekend but I didn't think anyone was that interested in these types of games seeing as there wasn't a thread already and the Divinity thread had like 4 posts! Anyway, yea really excited to jump into Pillars - in fact, I even skipped Bloodborne for the time being because of it (and I'm a huge souls fan mind you) so that says how much I was looking forward to this.

The trouble is I still haven't finished Divinity. I can't ditch it after having invested so much time into it (nor do I want to because Divinity is pretty awesome as well) but it's put more strain on finishing it though, like it's a chore I have to do before I can have my dessert. Having said that, I've heard there are a few serious bugs still in Pillars so it does lessen the blow of not being able to play it yet. Hopefully some patches are in the pipeline already.

PS - DJ I'm sure I remember you telling me on steam some weeks/months ago when I mentioned Pillars that you thought it looked shit :P
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:16 pm

Everything is shit until proven not_shit
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:48 am

Everything is **** until proven not_shit
If for whatever reason you decide during the prologue that murdering everyone in the caravan is more interesting than collecting herbs and water for tea, your journal updates to say that you’ve become tired of your companions and that killing them improved your mood more than a cuppa.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:05 am

This does look good though, as i said, i like the story telling methods i've seen on Twitch. May pick this up - well when that nasty ass bug is fixed.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:11 am

What bug is this?
3havoc
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:40 am

What bug is this?
It's an Obsidian game, picky any dozen.

The double click is easily the worst (but I've always used number key options so I'm good), but there are people whose companions are having their stats bug out and stack to ridiculous levels turning squishy support characters into tanks, and I've even seen a screenshot of an AOE attack taking up the entire screen.

Last night my characters run speed spazzed out when I put the boots of speed on and they their into the fucking flash - I think a + got turned into a *.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:44 am

If you double click equipment in the inventory to put it onto the char, it wipes out all passive stats, i think all racial/class bonuses etc - permanantly.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:47 am

Wow haven't had that bug, got to try that out.
3havoc
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:55 pm

Yeah none of that has happened to me either. I double click shit in inventory all the time.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:42 pm

I'm playing and enjoying it. Very BG2-like.

However, hit by this bug - http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72630- ... hing-game/. Which is apparently now fixed and will be released in a patch some time this week.
Carnifex
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:24 pm

Anybody still playing this? Worth it now that you've had more time to get into it?
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]