bittah.com!~ Warhammer 40k....chess

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Warhammer 40k....chess

Fuck me, what's it going to take to get a real game? This looks pretty pwn graphically, but it's still chess FFS
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:27 am

:lol:
i think they get off teasing us
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:17 pm

bleeding every last dollar out of the Dawn of War 2 assets?
castr8or
calm

[ignore]

Post » Tue May 05, 2015 2:42 pm

THis came out early access last night, about 13 USD.

The regicide game mode looks pretty interesting - but i dont know. I'll prolly pick it up for a bit of a fluffy experience, but chess is chess.

I will admit though, i was a fan of oldschool Battle Chess back in the day, and the pretty funny Star Wars version way back when, with Yod'a iconic, "BAckwards your weapon is, yes" to the Stormtrooper before it promptly shot itself.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu May 07, 2015 4:34 pm

Had a play with it, will come back when it's better developed. The regicide side is ok, but using marines as chess pieces is a bit sucky as they are small and not distinct enough at a glance especially when you have pieces off their starting square. Controls are pretty intuitive and simple. If you liked Battle Chess on the Amiga. Graphics are very meh.... They looked better in Dawn of War. The animations will amuse but that's about it.

Regicide mode seems ok but apply all of the above to the equation. I like the tactical addition to chess in this mode but it's still average at the moment.
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Thu May 07, 2015 10:26 pm

Graphics are meh??! :shock:
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Foggy board, and figures that looked like they were ripped from the 4 DoW series. DoW is great, I still much around with the original, but this looked to be nothing more. Still, the movement of the characters is wooden enough to make me feel like it's a chess set :D

I look at HotS, neu-LoL graphical updates, Woolfe, Armello etc and I just see a lot more love coming from the art department. Maybe it was the limitations of the space marine model. The Orks look more distinct. I'll go back for another look as I did llike the ability to equip weapons in regicide mode, just first impressions wern't great for me.
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri May 08, 2015 8:49 pm

Really cant agree with you on the graphics, it's completely subjective of course, but the models and animations are bloody beautiful for what is essentially a low budget game. Board suits its purpose. Some of the kill animations are amazing.

My biggest issue with the game is the length. Had a down to the wire shitfight with this guy (and i know, crazy to think so in CHESS) - but it lasted for a solid hour.

Have you played multi or just vs ai?
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 09, 2015 3:01 am

Just AI and not extensively - hence me not writing it off, it wouldn't be fair. Agreed on the kill animations, they are well done. I'm having a giggle at the people on the Steam forums that didn't realise it was chess :D
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Sun May 17, 2015 5:41 pm

had a couple of AI games earlier to get the hang of it. got caught a couple of times forgetting that pieces have HP. each turn you get to move a piece as you would in chess, then you get 3 initiative moves (range attack, melee, grenade, dig in etc. each unit has variations but my knight (havent learned the new names yet) had his king in check with the aim of taking his castle next move. the his fkn bishop and pawns smashed him leaving me outraged. ended up trapping his king ftw with my two castles later.

this is more than the 3D chess i've wanted for ages, it has a similar vibe to my much beloved vandal hearts game but with 1 shot kills if you use a chess move. enjoying it way more than i initially thought, you do have to form a line and not rush in and get surrounded like i did with the knight incident. have to expand on what you'd normally do in a chess game, it's quite interesting. the cinematic kills are satisfying as well. streaming it to a tablet will be a good way to kill time on the couch while the missus watches yet another round of fucking cooking shows amirite?
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 18, 2015 9:35 am

So one thing i have learned with this, you absolutely cannot play it like chess - not in regicide mode, or you'll get fucking murdered.

I played and lost a game last night because i was ignoring my opponents pawns in favour of damaging his 'heavier' pieces.

Basically i moved some of my starter pawns forward, but spread out. He was picking them off one by one. When he brought his knight/assault marine up, and a devastater/bishop, I was firing on them (and missing half the time), trying to whittle them down. I ignored his pawns because i figured i'd just take them via chess means. Big mistake!

He basically had a constant frontline of pawns, where he'd then use 3 of them to focus fire on my units, so anything i brought forward for a power move would get owned by too many bolters in the initiative phase.

Long story short, you totally need to fight your way forward as if the board is a battleground and his line is in fact a frontline. There's no gutsy moves INTO his forces thinking you're protected by limited chess moves/rules when they can simply kill your units.

One thing he did do which i thought was interesting was brought his bishop/devastater forward early. By doing so, he could use its self-buff which increases its damage when stationary, allowing it to be a more potent way of dealing with my pieces as they came into range.
Deepjay

[ignore]