bittah.com!~ No Man's Sky - Page 8

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:14 pm

25k is still a ton of people pouring time into a poorly reviewed game. I mean, Steam has doom at a 31k all time peak with a 60% drop in the first month, and 24 hour peak is just 3.4k. http://steamcharts.com/app/379720

I never actually realised just how many people were playing NMS. The hype must have been insane.

Edit: Oh, wait, of course it's not counting consoles for DOom. duh
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Black space mod out for the PC version. Looks great!

dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:12 pm

Kinda wish I had the PC version now. Another new mod out called 'Big Things' which looks amazing.

dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:40 pm

Well Fallout 4 has proven ps4's *can* have mods, i wonder whether it'll show up for this though. Somehow I doubt it. It appears the modders may be able to fix the game - or at least make it a lot better. Here's hoping anyway.

That big things mod looks great, but i wonder if it's just changing the problem so that all planets now look like that rather than the current design. It'd be good if there was a mixture.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:17 pm

Yep. This game is boring.

Not even an inch of depth.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:41 pm

Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:36 am

dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:06 am

The puzzling part to me is how there are games out there where you basically walk in a straight line for a couple of hours and that is absolutely all you can do and they get near universally praised as something really special. Then you have a game that does much more than that but is criticised for being boring and not doing enough. There is no consistency.

As for No Man's Sky now that I'm at the 'end game' I've been treating it as nothing more than a walking simulator itself and personally it has been really awe-inspiring. While the outposts and locations and their inhabitants, the resources you collect, the other ships you see and the overall gameplay loop are repetitive, I have found that just landing on a planet and setting off on foot can really create some beautiful and unique experiences, even moreso than what those other games do.

I am still being amazed at just what you can find out there if you go looking for it. There are some really beautiful sights, you just won't see them on every planet.
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:14 am

The puzzling part to me is how there are games out there where you basically walk in a straight line for a couple of hours and that is absolutely all you can do and they get near universally praised as something really special.
I'd like some names of those 'near universally praised' straight line games.
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:59 am

Discoveries are fucking meaningless anyway and an absolute chore as they have to be individually uploaded.

You land on a planet then:

1. Zoom into a plant or animal and wait about 3 seconds while the scanner locks onto it and 'discovers' it.
2. Press esc and find the thing you discovered in a list
3. Press X to name it - then upload it (or it might be name and upload in the same function).

If you bother to do this you have pages and pages of these animals and plants that look only slightly different requiring an upload on each, you cant mass upload for the planet for example.

The thing that shits me most about this process, not the particularly annoying scanning - that 3 seconds doesnt sound like much, but when it has a zoom attached and you have to do it over and over and over - it gets very fucking old. You also cant scan birds, you have to shoot them out of the sky and scan the corpse. But the thing that shits me - each time you go to a new planet it's 100% reset. Every amazing discovery is linked to each planet - absolute balls. True discovery would have a universal database galaxy wide - where you may encounter animals that other players have found. For example - if you name a Kangaroo in Australia a Kangaroo but find another Kangaroo in America and name it a Womprat - woo discovery!

The only discovery is the random assortment of stuff on each planet, all of which according to the game are 100% unique. It rankles to see plants and animals that are clearly from other planets that are now new. You're discovering this amazing plant (that's just a square with a dent out of it), or a spiral shell looking thing or what not. It's a fucking farce.

I agree with Dreamstation that there are some amazing planets to be found, that's actually true - the random design of them is really quite impressive - but that's also nullified by the repetition in that:

1. The unique thing is planet wide - ie if you have this awesome crater filled planet with water filling the craters, that's the defining feature. Yes it looks great, but if you fly across the planet, that's what you'll find randomly all over place. Underwater looks amazing incidentally, but is always empty. Other than random sea creatures that basically do nothing and are few and far between (there's no really heavily populated fish environments etc).

2. The planets have a single biome. There are no desert and jungle variations, no polar caps or regions - if a planet has snow, the entire planet is snowy. Some have awesome looking storms (that miracuously disappear when you step into your ship or into a cave and look out...then reappear when you exit again)

I've tried hoofing it across planets and it's just dull. Other than your life support systems requiring constant replenishment, there's just fuckall too do. I actually quite like destroying things for resources, there's something quite relaxing about it (not the big rare mineral columns - and pff as if there's anything rare about them). But jesus - there's nothing to do or see once you realise it's all the same.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:47 am

I'd like some names of those 'near universally praised' straight line games.
Stanley Parable and Journey are first to come to mind. Both are great games in their own right but if we're judging a game based purely on the depth of it's gameplay and mechanics, both should be rated much lower than they are.
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:52 am

Slight cost difference between those games and NMS DS. NMS should be $20 max but it's premium AAA priced
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:59 am

Slight cost difference between those games and NMS DS.
Granted but if we're talking about value for dollar then I've probably gotten more value from NMS at it's current price than either of those games at their pricing. I absolutely love Journey but each playthrough is exactly the same and after a couple of playthroughs there's nothing at all left to discover or achieve. 10-12 hours if you really stretch it out whereas I've played NMS for 5-6x that amount already and I'm still seeing new things.
NMS should be $20 max but it's premium AAA priced
Not sure I agree with that but value is subjective so neither of us are wrong.
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Well $30 - but there's no way it should be what it is currently, half the game is missing.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:42 pm

If they put all the promised-but-omitted features in paid DLC I'ma choke a bitch. Odds?
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:46 pm

If they put all the promised-but-omitted features in paid DLC I'ma choke a bitch. Odds?
how else will Sony be able to recoup those millions it spent on marketing and the new QA team they hired
Sarge
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Well they're pretty much fucked now - i read that Sony & Steam are providing refunds regardless of hours spent in the game - probably because it's practically a case of false advertising. It blows my mind that the steam advertisement page still has the trailer from E3 2014 which is showing shit that's not in the game or even close (ie more a scripted concept). I'm going to submit a ticket for one if possible though ive got a fair chunk of hours in the game, many of them sadly paused/afk while looking after a newborn.

There was no denying there WAS entertainment in this, but it's like many games - mostly concentrated around the learning the game phase. Once you learn the basics and progress into the game proper, that's where shit just falls apart in this.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:28 pm

No "practically" about it. Refund requested, let's see how we go.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:52 pm

On the upside, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is pretty awesome :)
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:44 pm

Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]