bittah.com!~ Blizzards attempt at MOBA - Heroes of the Storm - Page 6

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Have had access now for 3 days. After the initial reboot, game performance is fine. Graphics and game looks are fine.

Economy: from what I understand it’s more similar to lol than dota (but I haven’t played lol though). There is a pool of free to play heroes, and you can unlock more heroes using gold earned in-game or real money. I like the idea of changing the free hero pool every week, to accelerate the grinding and understanding of the game without hurting mah wallet. At the same time, the mechanic also helps keep the players fresh (In dota, I can’t spam a single hero without getting bored quickly). Grinding to unlock heroes and their abilities is probably not too bad for people taking their time to learn one hero at a time.

Gameplay/mechanics/balance: I don’t have enough play time or game knowledge to make a judgement. But so far it’s been interesting and engaging. I can see it as a good starting point for players with no moba experience, because of its brawler nature. AFK farmers on the other hand will need to re-adjust.

The only thing that bugs me is the obscurity of hero stats. You can get a full list of your hero stats by pressing c, but I cannot select an allied or enemy hero to assess their strength. I get why they may want to hide enemy hero skill build (and hence their stats), but it makes it harder to skill your hero for the situation. IDK, maybe I should git gud.
Freddy
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:04 pm

What game are you talking about Freddy? There's a SMITE thread,
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Sorry, I was talking about HotS closed Beta. Did I misunderstand some of the features?
Freddy
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Nah it's jus that the two posts above yours were about Smite, then you didnt name the game and i literally couldnt tell which you were talking about!

I havent played HOTS in a little while, i forgot about it to the tell the truth, too many games, not enough time!~
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:03 am

Installed on Saturday.

What a great little game. Easy to learn. Simple but with good mechanics. Variety in the maps and heroes. Far more relaxing than LoL. I'm really enjoying this at the moment. Game length is short and punchy, helping me get out of tough spots.

Whilst it will never have the competitive scene of LoL, it doesn't detract from how much fun it can be.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:41 am

Yeah it's quite surprisingly good, some very fun heroes. It can be a bit frustrating though. It's not so much about overall team skill when it comes to holding a lane or in team fights, but the way the whole team coordinates for the map objectives. Things like taking the wrong build on a map where you need to hold the point (that eqyptian themed map) etc can really punish you.

I think of all the maps, the one that i dont like the most is the mines map - it seems to be the most team play demanding - where your team tends to run around like idiots and ignore the mines and get raped by the construct. Once upon a while you'll get a team that ignores the mines in favour of pushing the lanes super hard - and that tends to be a winner strategy.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:02 pm

I've noticed that LoL is actually responding to the ease of play in HoTS as well as the variety in the latter.

TBH, I used to love the skins in LoL but haven't invested cash into it since HoTS came out - likewise Smite.

HoTS is my go-to and I'm happy to spend $$ in the cash shop because I have fun without the stupidly "hardcore" aspects of LoL/DotA and a lesser extent Smite.

It's a great game with a lot of subtleties to it without being hardcore... actually, it's strategic nature is dirty-casual friendly hardcore :D
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:43 pm

Don't get me wrong, I still love LoL - there is nothing more satisfying than making a game changing play that you know took serious mechanical skill and good judgement. It's the one thing that keeps you coming back.

However, the ease and accessibility of Heroes is far more tempting for me. As you said, its a game that is casual yet strategic with a lot of subtleties without that 'don't fuck up and cost your team the game' feel of LoL.

Had a great base race playing the siege tank girl last night. Had four members of my team pushing for the win as they pushed hard onto our nexus. I pounded at them for a while as they were mostly full health, then healed up and rushed in just before our nexus went down and got the quadra kill. And then 10 seconds later we won.

I don't think our team even realised how close we were to losing and how I somehow fluked the defence.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Waiting time for games can get fucked though.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]