bittah.com!~ Melee Doco

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:46 am

Melee Doco

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tgWH-qX ... WPEgUu-y6d[/youtube]
It's cute. Shut up and watch it.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:04 pm

i watched. i liked.
Bash
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:15 pm

they're no king of kong
Nasty Hobbit
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:26 pm

that was pretty cool, like the early tribes days
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:50 pm

I remember when i took my Dreamcast to a friends place where they were playing smash on the cube. I proceeded to show them Power Stone 2 and the weapon creation system (over 500). Blew their fucking minds.

Too bad PS2 didnt have english vocals, characters that everyone knew (Nintendo chars), and more levels. otherwise it would have been perfect.
MetalSutton
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: Melee Doco

But it did have that goku clone motherfucker - every other character pick was incorrect because goku
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:49 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ-wgY3z ... WPEgUu-y6d[/youtube]
No fuckin' Johns yo.
I remember when i took my Dreamcast to a friends place where they were playing smash on the cube. I proceeded to show them Power Stone 2 and the weapon creation system (over 500). Blew their fucking minds.

Too bad PS2 didnt have english vocals, characters that everyone knew (Nintendo chars), and more levels. otherwise it would have been perfect.
Power Stone is a great game and I wish they'd made some more sequels but it really doesn't compare. Not by a long shot. I played the shit out of PS1&2 before I got really into melee and they are literally worlds apart. I don't want to start reciting the argument I've had to repeat innumerable times but PS doesn't have any of the mechanics that makes Melee what it is.

My first national was @M "At Melbourne" in 2005 which was the first real National and happened to be when the community had sponsored Captain Jack, the Japanese player mentioned in the doco, to come visit and destroy us. It was rad. I was average at the time and got destroyed in the brackets but I at least made some decent named players sweat that some nobody was taking stocks off them and forced one to resort to bullshit run away tactics.

I attended a few more tournaments over the years but without a high level community to improve with I always placed poorly, was still great fun and an awesome experience, there was usually some concert on at the same time so I was killing two birds with one stone, except I'd usually show up to the tournaments tired and a little hung over or still glowing from a trip.

Oh, they even named a Brisbane Tournament after me. :baddass:
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:35 pm

OF COURSE. They are completely different games with completely different mechanics. I just wish PowerStone had more support from Capcom and that they developed it further, because it had potential, not just as a party game.
MetalSutton
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:35 pm

My first national was @M "At Melbourne" in 2005 which was the first real National and happened to be when the community had sponsored Captain Jack, the Japanese player mentioned in the doco, to come visit and destroy us. It was rad. I was average at the time and got destroyed in the brackets but I at least made some decent named players sweat that some nobody was taking stocks off them and forced one to resort to bullshit run away tactics.

I attended a few more tournaments over the years but without a high level community to improve with I always placed poorly, was still great fun and an awesome experience, there was usually some concert on at the same time so I was killing two birds with one stone, except I'd usually show up to the tournaments tired and a little hung over or still glowing from a trip.

Oh, they even named a Brisbane Tournament after me. :baddass:
Did you ever come across any of these guys? Accelerate (XLR8/Ryan), CAOTIC (David), Syke (Zack), Vyse (Anthony), Sirias (Kaz), Scrubs
kust0m
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm pretty sure I've met all of those guys at least once although since I was always visiting other friends outside the scene I never stayed with them and really got to know any of them and only went to 3 (4?) tournaments in Melbourne over the years and 1 meet in Brisbane in 2011, where I got kinda salty because I was so out of practice at Melee and Brawl existed.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:28 am

Melee Doco

I just watched all 9 eps & really enjoyed it, despite never playing SSB beyond N64. I am the Isai that never was :lol:

Like WW said, parts of it reminded me of the early days of Tribes - "a beautiful accident" (T1 - right down to the slowing/dumbing down of subsequent iterations ie: T:V/T:A). Just replace the personal rivalries with clan rivalries (largely driven by personalities within those clans). I can even relate certain old school Tribers to some of the key personalities in that series :lol:

The great thing though was that despite all that, friendships were forged because of the love of the game, not to mention meeting people irl is generally very different to their online personas (personally I'm the same, only sexier :p ) - something PC gaming has lost in the age of the Internet, but was alive & strong in T1 and even T2 - Fragfest LANS etc.

@Kustom - if you watch far enough into the series, I think the CAOTIC you referred to becomes a key flashback commentator. Asian dude with an Aussie accent (never show his gameplay/matchups though).

One thing I wish the series did more was focus on the Japanese players. It did early on (acknowledging they were "ahead of the meta") but then after that one showdown with Captain Jack it just seemed to assume the USA was best and left it at that for another decade. Makes me wonder if there was/is some Jap freak who could pwn all 7 of the US Gods from start to finish. I wouldn't be surprised.
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:28 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXn9gY-- ... WPEgUu-y6d[/youtube]
Don't Get Hit.

Cao was instrumental in establishing the Australian Tournament scene especially in Melbourne where he basically set the standard for the other regions to follow and the other guys kustom mentioned did just that in their own areas.

Regarding the Japanese scene, I'm pretty sure everyone in the actual community knew the standard was ahead of the USA, as in a higher overall level of consistent players rather than a small group of elites but I do agree it portrays it differently.

I'd love to see a doco focusing on the Japanese scene because I have absolutely no idea what it was like, I just knew they owned.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:30 pm

yeah i'll have to watch the rest.

Yeah - Cao was a big contributor to the Melee scene in Melb, organizing tournaments and meets. He's also one of the smartest, nicest guys I've ever met. He's internationally recognized as a top Peach/Bowser player.

I came late to Melee so missed all of the glory days, same thing happened with Tribes :<. I played a lot of Brawl, but meh, wasn't the same.
kust0m
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Watched the rest of the doco and holy fuck does it get depressing in the middle.
LoliLoveFart
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:48 am

Watched the rest of the doco and holy fuck does it get depressing in the middle.
It encapsulates the communities progression well; from clueless enthusiasts to emerging prodigies.

Despite never really being accepted into the fighting game tournament scene as a "main game" after the MLG golden days (for reasons beyond not being a fighting game, like just straight up being an old game, which is reasonable), the community just kept playing.

It's hard for individuals to maintain a presence and continue to pour effort into the thing they love most when it starts to feel benign, I'm sure the Tribes Vets know the feeling all too well.
So there was a pretty average time for the scene but the new blood that rose before and around the Revival time were kids who were raised with an established meta and well documented advanced techniques, so they were just fucking bonkers.

I was really reluctant to get hype for Project M but the recent updates have been great and I think a lot of Melee players have already accepted that the up coming Smash 4 will no doubt be Brawl 2, not Melee 2. Besides there's no Falcon so fuck you Sakurai eat a bag of dicks you softcock jackass.

Anyway Project M has already done a great job of creating a choice game and the team continues to exceed peoples expecations by not simply modding Brawl characters but porting Melee characters like the recently announced Mewtwo, who's updated move set looks utterly godlike.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMd6wAoqsJ4[/youtube]
The fact that it's entirely community driven and is actively being developed and balanced, and will soon be of little concern to Nintendo thanks to SSB4, so in some respects it represents a positive path ahead for the future of "competitive smash" unless we see the return of aggressive advanced techniques rather than simply defensive ones in 4. But even then I think Nintendo made it so crystal clear that they wanted comp gamers to die in a hole so it would take a ridiculously awesome game to gain a lot peoples admiration again.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:21 pm

^^ Any idea if that would work on my softmoded wii (PAL)?
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:51 pm

Had some time to kill, i've watched the first couple of episodes.....really cool stuff. I am seeing the similarities between this and early t1 too - although i never went to LANs etc.....always quite the distance, and the only people i knew of close by that played, were mates (and mates of mates, and mates of mates of mates....none of which with a car or license) all because of my disc - i found out years later that one or two of the original NV guys lived in the same town as me, which blew my mind as i thought they were all NZers - at least until that crazy NBA like trade between EL and NV (JB went to EL and Bloody to NV iirc?? how did that shit even happen?) It did always feel like a secret...even though i whored my copy out, which i did just because this game *had* to be played by people that enjoyed fps...or games in general - it was almost like an underground movement, where the game was evolved by the players....first time i saw someone ski i couldn't fucking believe it.....and then a bit further down the track jump.cs arrived...which pissed off a lot of people - here we are, smashing our keyboards, and now any average joe could ski with the best of them (i know i was in the crowd to shun jump.cs for quite some time...though looking back, we all should have just embraced it...) it's just funny to look back and think of things like jump.cs being considered a hack, or at least being a dishonourable way to play. Although, my favourite memory/achievement was the first time i hit a mine/mortar jump, with an inv, to the top of the other broadside base.....it was fairly early on, and i was sick of running out of plasma/nades/mortars whilst in their base....it was a good feeling to set up shop with turrets etc in their base - queue my love for HO, after being predominantly a HD type player (scara being my favourite...keeping our gens up and crashing the objective for the last minute or two to get that 1-0 win...epic stuff)

(apologies for block of text....hadn't intended for that to happen :laugh:)
aristo-
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:24 pm

how awesome were those tower fights on scara!!

that community based evolution is the way a true e-sport type game develops, not by being crammed down our throats by the devs
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:27 pm

^^ Any idea if that would work on my softmoded wii (PAL)?
Yeah my house mate uses a USB loader.
Had some time to kill. apologies :laugh:
I was a bit of an anti-ledge guarding bitch in the beginning but staying true to the Don't Get Hit philosophy, don't get thrown off the stage, or better yet, learn how to fight from that disadvantageous position. Once you stop fear from dictating your actions the ledge ain't even a thing.

Also Turbo Mode in M is cah-razy mode, it's not released yet tho.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z92MxCndZa4[/youtube]
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:19 pm

how awesome were those tower fights on scara!!

that community based evolution is the way a true e-sport type game develops, not by being crammed down our throats by the devs
If TA was left alone after closed beta it would probably be in a better state than it currently is.

Game devs these days seem to think that if you give people updates(for better or worse) it will keep people playing.

Imagine if the game devs were updating smash bros every month or so they would probably patch out all of the mechanics which make the competive game so awesome.
rain
annoyed

[ignore]