bittah.com!~ Warhammer 40k MMO

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now

Midair

Playing now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:55 pm

Warhammer 40k MMO

its been resurrected!

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/w ... -announced

not too sure on the developer but hell anything is something at this point

edit -

http://www.bhvr.com/en/news/2013/06/11/
Last edited by whitewhale on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitewhale
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:59 pm

I was way more interested in the Squad based idea for DM.

The really cool thing about this game however, is that it will be pay to play and free to play, the catch being the f2p players can ONLY be Orks.

That, is actually fucking smart as fuck.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:02 pm

man if this gets proper treatment its the game we all have been waiting for!

whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:03 pm

The last one sucked.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:03 pm

It wont, and dont get too excited.

I put a post in here somewhere where i linked the metacritic list of the developer - their resume is shitty.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:05 pm

yeah alot of movie adaptations in there :(

still

whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Yeah read this and let us know how you feel excited afterwards: http://www.metacritic.com/company/behaviour-interactive
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:13 pm

A 40K MMO is just bound to be crap IMO – unless it’s given a massive budget and a capable developer – but given that it’s still fairly niche, I doubt anyone would take a punt on that, particularly seeing Space Marine was fairly mediocre – and that was by the awesome Relic no less.
Space Marine for the record had some bloody good multiplayer – they really nailed it, but the single biggest failure of it was that it had no local bloody hosts or dedicated servers. I could NOT for the life of me find a game on a low ping local server basically ever – it was so frustrating.

What I am holding out for moreso, is a decent large scale RTS. With SEGA now owning Relic Entertainment and Creative Assembly – with access to the 40k IP, there’s a very real chance we might see a Total War style 40k strategy title at some point. Christ, the thought of that that induces severe horn.

Imagine they created the above, but then based it on the Horus Heresy - the campaign would fit the great crusade perfectly - and the typical 'end game' of the campaign, such as Shogun 2's, could be the betrayal. Holy shitballs you could create an amazing game with that engine IMO.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:15 pm

have to basically agree with u, i loved multiplayer space marine just the hosting issues
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:18 pm

It's slated for 2015 so I'll be running around as a cat-girl stabbing things with my pointed stick in FF14ARR till then.

But I just really think the f2p players as Orks only is just such a godlike design plan, people with disposable income (read:have fucking jobs thus less time) always want to grind less and distinguish themselves from the unwashed masses who populate every f2p mmo in existence and it just fits the law so beautifully, there are fucking heaps of Orks, like, way fucking too many, and they're stupid and useless and have shitty gear. As a f2p player you aren't restricted to areas or "levels" (as far as I can tell) like other "trial" p2p/f2p combo titles but you are restricted to rank.

You can be a pay to play Ork and by doing so you're elevated to Nob rather than Boy, so you instantly out rank all the BRs.

But I'm interested to hear more about this rank mechanic.

Not as in peep my k:d ratio bro I'm fukken in da top 50. Ranks as in players have abilities which are only granted after a certain point, that by the sounds of it, are intended to have game changing effects during engagements by means of assisting lower ranked/level players to co-ordinate.

At the end of the day it'll probably be a giant red marker on all the lowbies screens flashing somethign to the effect of FIGHT OVER HERE YOU FUCKING IDIOTS.

I actually don't hate the idea of attempting to rally a horde of randoms and start a WAAAAAAAAAGH. In fact the fantasy gives me quite a chubby.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:23 pm

yeah its a great mechanic considering orks are sposed to be low tech and numerous!

gimme a dreadnought and some assault marines and we crack those millions of orks
The free race available to everyone will be the Orks. But free players will only be able to progress through the game’s content Ork Boyz: five of which are needed to take down one Space Marine. Behaviour expects that F2P members will always outnumber paid players and the Ork Boyz are their way of balancing F2P with paid members. Once someone becomes invested in the game, they can purchase the other races and open up the full progression paths for each (including the Orks). But perhaps, I’m getting ahead of myself. Let’s talk a bit about how the game’s ongoing planetary war will actually work.
tbh the info on the game sounds good, just depends on execution
Starting right off the bat, fans should note that four races will be playable from the start, with the fifth being the AI-controlled Tyranids (who are there to keep everyone balanced throughout the battle). The four races available at launch (24 months from now, 18 months for Open Beta) will be the Space Marines (Dark Angels), Chaos Marines (Iron Warriors), The Eldar, and the Orks. Miguel told us straight away that the game will be available on PC, Xbox One, and PS4 as a premium Free-to-Play MMORPG. The free race available to everyone will be the Orks. But free players will only be able to progress through the game’s content Ork Boyz: five of which are needed to take down one Space Marine. Behaviour expects that F2P members will always outnumber paid players and the Ork Boyz are their way of balancing F2P with paid members. Once someone becomes invested in the game, they can purchase the other races and open up the full progression paths for each (including the Orks). But perhaps, I’m getting ahead of myself. Let’s talk a bit about how the game’s ongoing planetary war will actually work.

We will start with the example of the Space Marines that Miguel gave us. You will login, select your character and be ported to your personal Orbital Striker (spaceship, which you can deck out and customize like a form of housing). You can also take your Striker and join it up with your Squad (up to 10 people) and create one shared mobile living space. Your Squad is part of the larger Chapter which is run by an electorate that the players will choose in the game itself. Are you following me so far? Good.

So your squad (or you as a solo player) then chooses a continent on the current campaign planet to land on. Each campaign will last three months, and then a winner will be declared. The game’s focus will reset to a new planet in the universe that Games Workshop has given Behaviour to make their own (it will not immediately be a part of the “canonical” Black Library). Once you land, you will be presented with an overworld map interface that displays where friendly and enemy squads are headed and shows you where action and locales to be explored are available. From this map display, you’ll be able to select a place to take your squad (or go it solo if you choose). Some locations may be rife with PVP while others may be more intimate PVE Tyranid encounters. One example Miguel gave us was a mine that is infested with Tyranids. If your squad is able to clear it out, you’ll gain those resources for your Chapter.

But that’s about the extent of the PVE content in Eternal Crusade. The crux of the game will be focused on the persistent struggle between the four player factions and of course the AI-controlled Tyranids. The PVP is Eternal Crusade’s big sell. As Miguel put it: “There is only WAR.” Combat is a mix between THQ’s single-player cult hit Space Marine and Epic Games’ Gears of War. You will seamlessly go between ranged bolter combat and then hacking apart a bunch of Nobz with your chainsword. It’s all handled via the familiar third-person over the shoulder vantage point. You can build your squad, and change your specs on the fly, between ranged and melee combat with vast array skills and abilities specific to each race and class.

Progression will handled via traditional experience points, but the way in which you earn those valuable XP will be a bit foreign. Sure, you can go off into the world and do your own thing, but if you decide to listen to your Order’s leadership (again, elected by the players) you will get bonus XP and rewards. Say your order sends out the call to sack a particular fortress and you help out? Then you’ll be justly rewarded with XP and Requisition tokens. If you decide to go your own way, you’ll get XP from playing the game as you want, but it’s always in your best interest to contribute to the war effort. Not only will you unlock more classes in each faction, but each class has its own deep skill tree to progress through. So you might start as a base Space Marine, but work your way up to a Chaplain and gain its armor and skillset.

Speaking of Requisition tokens: this is Eternal Crusade’s own form of currency. Like any military, you don’t really care about gold or copper... you just want some sort of allowance from your commanding officers to get bigger and better weaponry to do your job (and armor as well). As such, as you contribute to the War Effort, you’ll get Requisition from capturing objectives, following orders, and killing enemy players and Tyranids. These tokens can be spent with the Requisition vendors in order to fully deck out your character.

So, back to the Campaign. You will drop down into this overworld map, and you’ll see a fortress of the enemy lit on fire. Your squad will vote and all agree to go see what’s happening there. From the overworld map, the camera pans in in real-time to an over the shoulder view of your character. Your squad joins the battle in progress, and let’s say you successfully overtake the Eldar’s fortress. Now you’ve changed the border and territory control of the map, and any resources that were under the purveyance of the Eldar are yours to hold onto. Miguel said it’s a lot like EVE’s economy, but on a much simpler-to-grasp level. Resources are all necessary to make the armor, weapons, ships, and fortress armaments needed to defend your faction’s stake in the world. Once you take the fortress, though you may have ruined a lot of it in the process (because EC comes complete with destructible environments and plenty of cover mechanics) you will rebuild it and hold it to keep the battle-lines drawn in your favor.

All of this: the fight between the four player controlled factions and the fifth wild-card known as the Tyranids rages on for three months. At the end, a winner is decided by overall territorial control and dominance, and the battle shifts from that planet to a brand new one (fresh and ripe for the picking). The new world may have a completely different ecosystem, new resources, new layout, and all of that to fight over. Think of it like competitive “seasons” in any sport. What’s the point of a war if no one wins? And that’s the philosophy behind having a campaign system in Eternal Crusade.

There’s so much more to tell you about Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade, but all we can say is that Behaviour’s vision sounds exactly like what we’ve hoped for out of a 40K MMO. They have full reign to go into all the other races and faction in Warhammer’s lore. Dungeons and other content will be procedurally generated so that there’s always an element of surprise when you go to clear out a Tyranid infestation. Progression is set up to reward those to help their fellow warriors, while not limiting the ability for the lone wolf to play his part. The payment model is designed from the ground up to let anyone play while still making sure that those who feel invested have something to invest in. Ships, artillery, fortresses, airships... it’s all customizable and usable in the field of battle. Said “field of battle” will consist of a lot of people on any given map though Miguel was not ready to let us share the number of persistent on-screen players you can expect. Let’s just say it will be a lot.

Behaviour hopes to have Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade ready for its open beta in 18 months, and launch in just 24 months. Can they pull it off while targeting PC and consoles simultaneously? We shall see. But we are all very keen to find out just how much of their ambitious plans come to fruition, as it’s more than a little refreshing to see 40K treated not only seriously as a game for the fans by fans, but also as an MMO that’s seeking to become something unique in an industry that’s been clouded with also-rans for far too long. If Miguel and his team of MMO veterans can pull off half of what they are planning, we’ll all be in for a treat. Be sure to check back soon for more info on Eternal Crusade as we march ever on and on and pester Behaviour for as much information as they can muster. If you have questions, ask them here and we’ll answer them after we’re all back from the convention.
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:29 pm

While I highly doubt they can pull it off, and it’s likely to get canned between now and then anyway, I really do hope they can in fact create something great, because I need to be purging heretic noobs with righteous fire fucking ASAP!
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:21 pm

I was one of those idiots who bought into WAR (The Art book is actually pretty decent). I wanted to believe. Lets hope they learn from that example.

The main problem with WAR was there were only 2 sides, so even if a lot of player were active in world PvP (RvR), the large groups would usually avoid each other because you actually made less progress by fighting each other, both sides simply ended up in stale mates wasting time, shit was crazy fun initially, with dozens of casters on Hold walls raining death into the open and an absolute cluster fuck of melee classes re-created the siege of Jerusalem at the main gate. But the majority of players were more interested in purpz, and soon realised these scenarios didn't offer enough.

So the game degenerated into 2 giant groups circling each other flipping zones against PvE mobs in turn, with the occasional noob losing his shit over world-chat after seeing an enemy army for the first time much to every ones enjoyment.

But like most WoW-clones the shine wears off once you've explored the neat looking environments you remember that pushing 1 thru 5 isn't fun or challenging.

Basically, the mechanics must be inherently enjoyable in and of themselves however that's achieved. Hell there were some great abilities in WAR, mostly involving knock back and positioning, the Marauder had a scorpion "get over here" and it was a fucking blast to land it on a healer who promptly found himself on the wrong side of the fight and on the receiving end of a stun. Shit even some healer classes had neat yin-yang mechanics where the more damage you dealt the stronger you're heals became.

But WAR died because the devs were banking on RvR being 90% of the endgame content but failed to execute it properly.

And the carrot on a stick approach is just a shitty cop out. Even my super old school MMO friends are getting tired of grinding for lootz.

If there are 4 factions all duking it out the dynamic should be much more interesting, the "oh fuck it we'll just go somewhere else" option shouldn't really exist if you are trying to create an atmosphere of a losable war, you need to give players the chance to fuck up, since your (very active but kinda lazy) guild didn't go defend that territory, you fucked up, and now your race is getting Eiffel towered by space elfs. Nice work dick heads. The PS2 players probably have a much better idea about what works and is fun for both sides in these kinds of scenarios than I do.

If generic MMO's game play can't stand on it's own 2 feet, and PvE/gettin mah leet gear is old news/boring to pretty much everyone (who has functioning grey matter), then you've got to create some kind of new incentive to keep idiots subbing.

So in my apparently not very humble opinion their main objectives should be;
1/Shootin n Killin should be fun by itself (it shouldn't be a wow clone)
2/Shootin n killin the baddies en masse should be really fucking fun due to interesting areas and game mechanics (if it is a wow clone they should at least have fun spells)
3/Shootin n Killin baddies is rewarding, not only because its fun, but also because you need to defend a location in order to ensure safe passage of supplies to your faction (or some other game affecting objective)
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Don't even get me started on WAR. I've written essays here detailing the problems with WAR. There was no way known it was ever going to succeed when it's underlying structure was so utterly stupid. But again, dont get me ranting again about how they segregated the community of players into something like 20 different tiers amongst other things.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:00 pm

Hot Rhino on Rhino action NSFW.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:42 pm

WAR was fun - until you hit level 20. Then it sucked. It was also buggy as all shit and the classes were either good or shite. Having said that, the most fun I had in an MMO was as an Ironbreaker on Tor Anroc. I have no expectations as to this being good because the last few GW games have felt like cash grabs.

TBH, if this was WOW with 40K skins and the mechanics renamed it would probably do ok as an F2P - the fanbois would flock to it.
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:41 pm

The early footage looks shit imo - like a budget version of Relic's Space Marine (which wasn't amazing - but was fun enough).
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:43 pm

u were expecting a finished looking game when its all grey boxes no animations and not even close to alpha?

dev direction is interesting, could haven bitten off more than they can chew

the combat focus is a strong point if the world works, i don't know never been into mmos
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:20 pm

Nope, not at all. I have no expectations other than it's very unlikely to be the kind of 40k game I would hope for. And that footage was shit - grey boxes or whatever fucking stage it was at. If they are going to put footage out showing something that early in development, then that's their call, and at their own risk. The chance of a 40k mmo ever meeting fans of the theme's expectations are highly unlikely, but whatever.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:23 am

ffs should have been necromunda ( fuk the spelling of that weird ass name ) setting. hive city with cyber punks and gene stealer cults.

intereseting and barley relevant news they are making a mordenheim game
TOMbombadill
unsettled

[ignore]