bittah.com!~ Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy) - Page 44

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now

Midair

Playing now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Did you cheer along with the rest when momentous things such as door hatches were opened?
No but I found myself grinning like a maniac.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Yeah I groaned at a lot of the cheering, but watched the whole thing and was thoroughly impressed

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
ColonelBlair
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:28 pm

They need to make a new wing commander IMO - dust off Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowell and the Lion from Wizard of Oz. We can do this, Let's make Wing Commander Great Again
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Hamill & John Rhys-Davies are in Star Citizen, so that's a little throw back to the old WC games... but I certainly agree that I'd love a new WC game. The last one wasn't the greatest, but now hopefully Roberts might have the funds to do something with it... although I doubt he owns the IP anymore and it'd likely cost him a pretty penny to get it back.
Plus.. anything they do now would pretty much be directly competing against Squadron 42.

Hopefully one day... they bring back pretty much every franchise so I wouldn't be surprised... what I'm REALLY surprised by is there still isn't a successor to freespace 2
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:54 pm

Heh, that's my topic.

May happen but the poor sales of FS2 killed dev interest in it.

As at 2014 (source: http://www.pcgamer.com/freespace-tablet ... c-release/)
The Freespace games, particularly Freespace 2, were tremendously good space combat simulators. We scored it 93/100 in our January 2000 review, and developer Volition, now known for the Saints Row series, admitted a few years ago that it would kill people for the chance to make Freespace 3. In an odd twist, the Freespace IP actually went back to Interplay last year for just $7500, but it's not the company it used to be, and so excitement over that development was somewhat muted.

A new, official Freespace project entitled Freespace Tactics actually hit Kickstarter a few days ago, which very briefly raised my eyebrows until I realized it's not for a videogame, but for a tabletop miniatures game "inspired by" the series. I prefer my Freespace with a joystick, but the team behind the game has said that there is actually a videogame connection, of sorts.

"Part of why we are doing with this project is to gauge interest in the FreeSpace universe," FreeSpace Development Corp., the creator of the Kickstarter, wrote in the comments. "If this is successful, it will certainly help us get a couple steps closer to a new PC game."

Cynical readers might see it as not-overly-subtle way of building support for this project by tying it to the fate of something that people very much want, and the crowdfunding success of Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen would seemingly make a new Freespace videogame a sure thing. Of course, the question of whether or not Interplay could put together the resources to make such a game looms large: Its most notable actions over the last few years include losing a high-profile legal battle with Bethesda, resurrecting the Black Isle name (although the website at blackisle.com appears to have gone offline), and, mostly recently, shutting down a fan remake of the original Descent.
And that's the derail.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:21 am

Oh come on DJ/CB, Squadron 42 IS a Wing Commander game in all but name. We all know it.
And I suspect it will be the best one, much like Galaxy Quest is the best Star Trek movie and The Incredibles is the best Fantastic Four movie.
I believe EA own the rights to WC anyway. Still want it?
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:32 am

Honestly this is possibly better than a new WC game anyway... I pledged hoping it'd reach its target and now obviously I'm gonna get a lot more for that cash...
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:07 pm

And I suspect it will be the best one, much like Galaxy Quest is the best Star Trek movie...
KHAAAANNN!!!!!!!!!! :)
Booster
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Played 2.5 this morning for about 3 hours with one crash. It seems to run better (still have to run 1920 on my 1440p screen with a 390x for decent frames) and the new landing system makes landing very simple. Press N for landing gear which also changes to precision mode, then just hover towards a pad and some text will come up saying "Hold N for Auto Landing" - piece of piss compared to the old system.
Seab4ss
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Old system wasn't too bad, you just had to know to switch to precision mode and auto land was right alt-n
But there really are a lot of keys... Any simplifying in that area is a good thing.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:05 am

Honestly this is possibly better than a new WC game anyway... I pledged hoping it'd reach its target and now obviously I'm gonna get a lot more for that cash...
Im hungry for good space opera, doesn't need to specifically be Wing Commander, but that's definitely an old near and dear title to me.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Im hungry for good space opera, doesn't need to specifically be Wing Commander, but that's definitely an old near and dear title to me.
I'm with you 100% no question
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:32 pm

Ditto.
S42 is a best case scenario for WC fans. Even if a studio put Roberts in charge of a reboot/sequel it would be ruined by shareholders.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:42 pm

I do worry that they're going a little TOO realistic though if you know what i mean. There's realism that's fun and there's realism that's not fun as it's trying too hard to replicate life.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:53 pm

I think that's more an issue for the persistent universe than S42.
I can finish a racing game in automatic with full assists but that won't be competitive online, I expect something analogous here. The scripted nature of single player will help further.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:15 pm

Yeah but just going to a ship wreck to kill random humans - the Kilrathi added a really fictional element without being too fictional, if you know what i mean. Hoping this game owns anyway, space opera
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:07 am

Also an issue for the persistent universe afaik, doesn't S42 revolve around a war against these dudes?

Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:59 am

It's funny how most aliens always have that double jointed/animalesque leg design.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:16 pm

A bit of multicrew action here... fighting through pirates to get to a black box.. then having someone attempt to steal their ship while they're in EVA
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:22 pm

ColonelBlair

[ignore]