bittah.com!~ Rome 2 ?

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:42 am

Rome 2 ?

Could Rome 2 be in development? Would be surprised if it wasnt - would be hard as hell if it was...

from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 598&nojs=1
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:43 am

I fucking hope so, it was the best of the entire total war series, and still has great replay value today despite the dated graphics.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:48 am

I fucking hope so, it was the best of the entire total war series
Lewdeh
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Man I enjoyed playing Rome total war so much, it was definitely the one I played the most out of all of them.
Peanut
user

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:06 pm

I fucking hope so, it was the best of the entire total war series
Shazbotaz
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm

I've sank probably around 500+ hours to the original Rome, so this would be a godsend.

About time, too.
cwsg
user

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:44 pm

The thought of what they could pull off on the newer engine/s is horn inducing. For me I liked Medieval as much as Rome - though i found in both that many sieges were ridiculously repetetive. Would be good to see them expand on the concept- similar to what they did in Shogun 2 (though of course not the same style - dont want to see any wall climbing Legionaires :))
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Nostalgia boner.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0OmDaEU7ic[/youtube]
cwsg
user

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:49 pm

The thought of what they could pull off on the newer engine/s is horn inducing. For me I liked Medieval as much as Rome - though i found in both that many sieges were ridiculously repetetive. Would be good to see them expand on the concept- similar to what they did in Shogun 2 (though of course not the same style - dont want to see any wall climbing Legionaires :))
Could Arcani climb? Or was that just with siege ladders.

Either way, I hope with complete sincerity that they haven't fixed the issue with opposition units not attacking until your archer/hybrid melee units have expended all their ranged ammo.
Lewdeh
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:15 am

Yeah i hate that too Lewdeh. Any time you put a line of archers at the front (aka in every total war game pretty much), the AI would just shit itself and not do anything.

It's better in Shogun at least. I've been punished a lot of times by cavalary hitting my defenceless infantry because i wasnt fast enough to react -

Actually I just upgraded my machine and damn if Shogun 2 doesnt perform sexually now. Going to have another crack at the campaign, had almost finished it ffs! Would love to see Rome on this engine - or even moreso on what they're probably doing to soup it up further. IT could be so freakin rad.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:45 am

I opened this from the quick bar thingy hoping for HBO to be reviving the Rome series post Augustus, been watching the series all weekend.

This is just as good if not better, I can't wait to take the Picts and swarm down from Scotland past the wall and over the channel to rampage through Europe.

EDIT: Been playing Fall of the Samurai pretty hard of late, they finally got rifles and cannons right after all the issues with Empire - for empire I wound up skipping any land battle that I could auto revolve and win, only had a single memorable one in Austria playing as the Dutch when a force of untried freshly trained soldiers scouting ahead for an army of veterans from my India campaign made up of elite and experienced Scottish and Swiss soldiers lead by an epic general (I called them the rape train). The new force was made up of about 1200, republican guards mostly so huge moral - ran smack bang into the middle of 5 armies of about 8,000 without the support of the Rape Train.

Holding out for that fight was the best battle I've ever had in a total war game, dead set spent half an hour trying to figure out a good position to defend from, when I found it the fight was insane - infantry ran out of ammo halfway through, fixed bayonets and charged four times, lost all my calvery getting rid of their cannons but kept my own alive and their unlimited ammo saved the day (also killed about 80 of my men while I wasn't watching). Lost 70% of the army but broke and scattered all the Austrian armies - the Rape train powered through to Istanbul with little resistance after that.

As for the AI bugging out, best time it ever happened was during a vanilla game of Shogun 2, siege battle - 400 defenders against 1500 attackers. When I had less than 50 men alive fighting to the death and they still had half their attacking force before the walls the AI bugged out and refused to attack, in the end the clock ran out. I know it was a bug, but I like to believe they where afraid.

Didn't matter sadly, in the same turn a second army attacked and wiped out the remnants.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:34 am

Did you play Napoleon at all Rougey? That did gunfire and cannons pretty damned well. I was not a fan of line warfare historically but Napoleon was thoroughly enjoyable IMO. Just a pity the map panning was so freakin sluggish on my PC at the time.

Have any of you guys played much in the way of multiplayer Shogun 2? Like drop in battles and the like? I’ve never been able to get into it. Hope to change that for Rome 2 though.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:50 am

I played empire total war but not Napoleon. I found empire to be pretty good, the ship battles could be a real blast, especially once you were pumping out first rate ships of the line. Once you started to out tech the other empires it was a one way street for the rest of the game. Fire by rank is a pretty early skill (maybe 10-15 turns to get) but once you have it, your infantry wont just have the first rank fire, they will duck down and let the next line fire. So you have almost three times the firepower of any other force. There were some other tech upgrades which were pretty cool too, and the cannons could be completely satisfying, but difficult to use without blowing apart your own line.

Standard army was 3 units of rangers with long range muskets that wear them down whilst taking sporadic cannon fire. Once they get closer, push the cannons further forward, change to shotgun rounds and pull the rangers back. Once they're within striking distance of the cannons, push the entire infantry line forward to cover them and watch as your line infantry tear up what's left.

I had only a few memorable battles in empire, most of them ship battles where earlier on I would float around with three 3rd rate ships of the line and just utterly destroy any other navy around. They would float twenty ships past my three and over half would explode from the opening volley. That has to be a highlight.

Having said that, there is a difference between the battles in rome vs empire. There was something far more primal about skirmishing for a while and then having your entire line of heavy infantry charge directly into their line. One of the most memorable moments I've had in any game was in Rome, where I had four units of heavy infantry moving towards the front to where the bulk of my forces were campaigning. I had just gone through the Roman unit upgrade (I forget the correct name, census change or something), so my heavy infantry were far stronger than previously. I had yet to test them in combat. On the way to the front, I was intercepted unexpectedly (its unexpected that the AI had a brain) by an army of 14 units, made up of light infantry, heavy infantry and cavalry. I was ready to write off my reinforcements but thought, fuck it, I'll play the battle to see how much damage I can do. The attack happened on a road through a valley, they literally came charging down the hill on both sides and completely surrounded my force of infantry. What happened then is what blew my mind. Instead of running and breaking (as any sane man would when completely surrounded and outnumbered), they stood and fought their entire army for 1 minute. Then 2. Then 5 minute. Then I realised that I was in fact, losing only very few units. After ten minutes and countless bodies spewed around the battlefield, my four infantry units, still surrounded, kept on chopping away. Then their first unit routed. Shortly after half the army was in retreat whilst they brought in what they had left to try finish me (cavalry and some heavy infantry). Without the benefit of numbers they simply got chewed up. After 30 minutes of combat, I had killed over 400 of their troops, and lost only 50 of my own.

A long and detailed story, but by far one of the best moments. That is what I love about that game, it felt real combat, despite the horribly pixelated unit portraits.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Did you play Napoleon at all Rougey? That did gunfire and cannons pretty damned well. I was not a fan of line warfare historically but Napoleon was thoroughly enjoyable IMO. Just a pity the map panning was so freakin sluggish on my PC at the time.
I logged two hours with it and uninstalled, I had gotten Shogun 2 by the time I got around to having a crack at it and going back just felt awkward - Empire and Napoleon are good but easily the weakest post Rome TW games. Also wasn't a fan of the various aesthetic choices they made, sad as that is.

My favorite is by far Medieval 2, usually played as Scotland. Sure, you have no cavalry worth speaking of and wind up sending in your generals way too often, but when you get Knights Templar or better Hospitaller you won't look back. Nobel Pikemen are boss and I pity anyone who sends their troops to attack Highlander Archers, Nobel archers especially - when they run out of arrows they tend to do more damage in the Melee.

Also there is something hilarious about sending a mob of unwashed Glaswegians armed with shivs against anyone.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Though Rome is definitely my favourite, I much preferred Napoleon/Empire (Penninsula campaign was a bit of a disappointment though) to Shogun 2. Medieval 2 just made me think of all the parts of Rome that I preferred since they were more similar I suppose.
Lewdeh
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:49 pm

The only thing that stops me from playing Total War games religiously are the campaign maps, that is you can only conquer Europe so many times, Japan less so. I probably got the most out of Empire for this very reason, fighting half a dozen wars simultaneously in India, Europe and American made for some interesting strategy - Or picking India, taking over the entire subcontinent before romping up through the middle east then cutting through Europe to London for shits and giggles. No need for ships, Fucking Elephants man.

I'm going to have to check out some total conversion mods, anyone ever try one?
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:19 pm

I used to use them religiously for Rome :oops:

TWCentre hosting Total Realism or similar rings a bell
Lewdeh
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Have any of you guys played much in the way of multiplayer Shogun 2? Like drop in battles and the like? I’ve never been able to get into it. Hope to change that for Rome 2 though.
I didn't do too much multiplayer in regards to drop-in, but I did do about 15-20 hours of matchmade multiplayer, but the problem with premade armies is about a third of the games you'll get cheesed by someone and there isn't a thing you can do about it.
cwsg
user

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Loved all the TW series (and have always had a soft spot for the Shoguns) but I think I preferred Medieval to Rome in the end, although I do love the Roman era.
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:02 am

I haven't lost a single match of MP Shogun 2... out of the half dozen I've played.

I really should play more, I pulled some serious charge of the light horse bullshit in my last game - completely surprised the bloke I was playing.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]