bittah.com!~ Dark Souls - Page 2

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:43 pm

dreamstation is a bit of a freak at these sorts of games
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Haha I've had a week off work so I've been playing it pretty hardcore this week. A lot of deaths and a lot of swearing but I've kept pushing myself. My character has 60 hours play time :P

I'm level 87 now and I've cleared sen's fortress, anor londo and the painted world as well as pinwheel in the catacombs. I think I'm getting close to the end now as the yellow doors blocking the main bosses have unlocked and I've cleared most of the areas leading up to the bosses but died versing 2 of them

This game is a lot longer and definitely a lot harder than demon's souls.

:dev: :dev:
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:45 pm

Man my highest char is only 40, and is currently in the catacombs, having last killed the discharge demon (kek name) and the lava spider bizatch. Catacombs wasnt too bad as coincidentally i have a holy or whatever its called halberd, so the skeles arent respawning - but fuck me those rolling wheels are CUNTS! Utter utter cunts.

After i cleared blighttown and that lower boss, i wasnt overly sure where i was supposed to head.

Have since restarted as a pyromancer, around lvl 25ish i think. Am a bit confused on upgrading weapons and the like, it's pretty damned complex - particularly when nothing is explained. Love the game though. The way the world interconnects is just so far above Demon Soul's imo.

Really great game
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:06 pm

Haven't had much time to play this week being back to work but I'm now level 105 and I've downed 3 of the main bosses leaving only 1 to go I think.

I haven't read up much on the game until now and apparently damage isn't scaling correctly or something and people recommend not leveling up too much like I've done until they release the patch to fix it. Sorcery is apparently weak at the moment as well and people are saying fire/lightning weapons are the way to go

I'm really enjoying the game so far, there is just so much content in here. You think you are nearly finished an area and then a whole new section opens up that you never knew existed. 2 of those areas being the great hollow and ash lake which I never even knew were there until a few days ago.

The game is extremely deep and complex too once you start getting into the upgrading and the events associated with the convenants and npcs
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am

Anyone still playing this?

After a bit of a break I went back and finished off the few remaining trophies I needed for the platinum and now I'm hooked again.

I've started 2 new characters, the first is a level 62 faith build and the other is a level 19 pyro/mage. The only boss I've defeated on both is the Taurus demon so if anyone is keen on some co-op of sorts and is within level range then hit me up
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:03 am

I've just started playing it after the dreaded RROD forced me to buy a new xbox :dev:
Only in off-line mode though. level 67 pyro and defeated everything except the hellkite dragon (damn thing) and cleared the darkroot forest. About to head off and slap around the butterfly :D
Riker
bittah Police
bittah Police

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:28 am

The butterfly is one of the easiest bosses fyi

And yeah i keep meaning to jump back into it Dreamstation, its an amazing game
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:43 pm

Sorry Riker forgot to mention I'm on PS3, not 360 :(

And DJ yea it's an amazing game for sure, definitely my GOTY 2011. I'm 3/4 of the way through NG++ (3rd playthrough) on my main which is SL170 and I just keep going back. There's just something so satisfying about the combat - it really is a joy to play. It has definitely made me want to go back and play more Demon's which I did find harder to play through a second time back then.

Finding co-op and invading is definitely more of a chore this time around because the world is so much larger with no definite starting point for certain areas like there was with Demon's due to it not being open world like this.

There still is some to be found but you just have to find the right area at the right level.
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Im pretty impressed by how high you've gotten in both games - i stop playing way before then. I find myself worrying about shit like not building something that in the long run will be decent, or getting a bit lost by the whole weapon upgrade system. The game can be really damned hard until you realise you're just using a really underpowered weapon, etc
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:08 pm

The games aren't actually that hard once you get the basics down pat. You soon get to know monsters or bosses attack cycle and animations so you know what they are about to do. It is quite overwhelming in the beginning to know what weapons or armour to use but raising your VIT or END stats early is usually a sure thing.

You need HP to take damage and you need END to attack and avoid damage so both of these are definitely not wasted stats. By the time you get these to reasonable levels (20-25) you will have picked up some okay weapons and armour to get a basic idea of what you want to be.

The great thing about both Dark and Demon's Souls is that there really isn't a level cap and there are specific spots in the world that farming souls is trivial so even if you put a few stats into wasted stats it's quite easy to rectify.

I played both games completely through the first playthrough without consulting a guide or the internet and I have managed okay. They are both very rewarding games and I recommend at least seeing them through to the end (even if the story/endings are only a distraction from the real action) so you can at least say you've beat them :)
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:27 am

I like the way the story isnt a story as such, it's more of a setting, where the focus is on the exploration etc.

I was farming those iron giants in the forest for a bit, got a ton of souls from them. My furthest playthrough was down into the crypts, i was having a lot of trouble with the skeleton wheel things - fucking nasty bitches.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:57 pm

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut ... uls/729115

Ahhhh fuck yeah, i'll likely be buying this for a second time on PC i think.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:47 pm

As much as I loved the game I honestly can't see myself buying it again. Have already sunk close to 200 hours into the PS3 version over 3 characters and seen everything the game has to offer.

As for the new content, I hope it isn't PC exclusive and they release it for free to the console mob. After all, they are the people who supported it from day one :?
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:33 pm

This game is wonderful yet terrible, can't handle the frustration of mistiming a move and having to start all over. Its absolutely brutal in that respect but if you can handle it I imagine you'd find much enjoyment from it as it is a well made game with a lot of depth.
Sarge
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:08 am

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04 ... e-to-sigh/

Disappointing. They've basically stated that they're going to put zero effort into making a good PC port and just make the xbox version run on our computers. A little bit of new game content is a bonus, but I think people would have preferred a better port.

I'll still be re-buying it on PC, just so that I don't have to sub to xbox live just to enjoy this one game, but I'm almost certain that sales of the PC version are going to suffer horribly because of this news.

Apparently the developers are showing interest in the possibility of adding mod tools, so maybe that'll save it.
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:29 am

Yeah i suspect they're possibly going to lose a ton of cred by releasing a shoddy console port. They're trying to do the best thing by the fans in getting it onto PC, but as a console port (where they reccomending people use a game pad - meaning the pc controls will be clunky and my bet is on the keys not being rebindable), and GWFL attached sounds stinky as. I also have a feeling that the poor fps areas, like blighttown and the ghost area with lots of water (gone blank on the name), will still be very bad, mainly due to the design.

I hope they pull it off, but i am worried. I didnt get overly far into the PS3 version of this - i mean i got far, but certainly not near the end. I really should get back into it. Wife was getting a little concerned...giving me funny looks, when i would be sitting there and swearing my ass off at the TV.

"so why do you play these games again?'
'How are they fun exactly when they make you angry?"

I actually agree with her on almost both those points - sometimes i wonder the same thing.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Not exactly surprised at the news. I wasn't expecting a full blown remake anyway. The game does play extremely well with a controller but having the option for keyboard and mouse should be a priority, considering that is staple input devices for a PC.

Blighttown was one of the worst areas in the game but could be finished in 5 minutes if you don't care for exploration. The ruins of new londo (the water area with ghosts) was also really short but I actually enjoyed that area. Both areas suffered from low fps which was the main reason people disliked them. Not sure if it was just poor coding or an engine problem or because the consoles weren't powerful enough. I guess we will see when it comes to PC

I know what you mean about getting frustrated with the game. There were times when I spat the dummy hardcore and put it down for over a week. Then I'd come back with a new take on it and I would breeze through the areas that were giving me trouble and I was hooked again. Both this and Demon's Souls are rewarding experiences and should be seen through to the end, but not always in a continuous session. Taking days or weeks break in between does wonders I found
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:22 pm

So yeah this is sounding worse and worse for a pc port. It;s going to literally be a port, same res, no changes to framerates etc. They said in some interview i was reading that actually upscaling it for pc, adapting it properly etc would require a lot of work. It sounds like they;'re only doing it to please the people who petitioned for it- but without doing a proper job of it, they're likely to come out looking really bad. Which is a damned shame as on console it is a superb series of games - completely underrated by many people.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Apparently the interviewer got it wrong and they were talking about texture resolution, not actual game resolution. So it sounds like you will be able to play in 1080p but the textures will be the same as the console, which I guess is understandable. Would take a lot of work to make every texture higher res

Another rumor was the fps capped at 30 but I don't think anything has been confirmed or denied at this stage
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:35 pm

yeh i saw the 30fps cap, seriously fucking tarded developers..

also dont listen to bs about texture res having to be made, any media/art source is usually atleast 2x the res as whats released in game/print/movie etc.. just comes down to logistics of storage/finding/converting/retweaking etc ie too much effort for most devs.
DOX
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]