bittah.com!~ Dark Souls

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:44 am

Dark Souls

Man I am absolutely pumped for this game, which releases on Xbox and PS3. While i didnt get as far into Demon's Souls as some of the peeps around the traps (like Dreamstation for example), i rate it as one of the most unique game experiences I have ever had. And it's a fucking CUNT! The difficulty created the best goddamned atmosphere, and the greatest feeling of achievement any time certain massive obstacles were overcome. Dark Souls - aka Demon Soul's 2 looks to improve on this in every concieveable way..including being harder!

Here's a summary i ripped from someone on whirlpool:

Who else is going to grab it on Thursday?

So uh...whats so cool about this game?

Dark Souls is a brand new dark fantasy RPG designed to completely embrace the concepts of tension in dungeon exploration, fear in encountering enemies, the joy of new discoveries, and a high sense of achievement in progressing. The game is set in a dark fantasy world filled with decadent atmosphere, with a heavy emphasis on player freedom in discovering various tactics and strategies to use in weapon based combat.

The game is a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls (which in turn is considered a spiritual successor to the King's Field games). Dark Souls will take place in an open world environment. Unlike Demon's Souls, which would force the players to restart the level when they died, Dark Souls will allow players to light special Bonfires, which function as respawn locations.These bonfires also replenish health, magic, and special items like Estus Flasks – limited vials that restore player health. The player will battle using various weapons and strategies to survive in a dark fantasy world. Online features will allow players to share the play experience without need for direct communication.

There will be more weapons, spells, and new classes. It is also said to be 'significantly harder', with more enemies and more difficult encounters. It will include leaving messages to other players, seeing others' deaths, and player versus player (as well as a new co-op system).

Trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuG4FZNnuBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psG3VxBR7jg

Reviews and Scores

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dark-souls
current metcritic score : 89 (out of 14 reviews)

Gamspot – 95
"Dark Souls is an extraordinary role-playing game that transports you to an awesome and menacing world you may never forget."

IGN – 90
"If you just play games for fun, this isn't for you, and no amount of insistence on my part is going to change that. But if you're interested in the limits of the videogame form – to see just how focused, how pure and how uncompromising in its vision a game can be – Dark Souls is unmissable."

Eurogamer – 90
"If entertainment is fun without failure and progress without pain, you'll have to find it somewhere else. But you'll be missing out on one of the best games of the year."

Will there be multiplayer?

YES. prepare your anus for the most unique multiplayer experience that any current game has to offer. Like in demon's souls, players in need of help will be able to summon other players (blue phantoms) into their game world to overcome obstacles too great for their measly skills. From Software has been careful to make this experience as unique as possible, going as far as disabling xbox parties and other forms of communicating with summoned players. In game gestures will be your only means of communication. Additionally, if you are alive and connected to the internet you are always in danger of being invaded by black phantoms. Black phantoms are players who invade another player's game, and if they are victorious will steal your humanity, a semi-rare in game item important for many things, or a rare item.

Other multiplayer features include being able to see phantoms of other players as they run around by you, being able to see messages left by other players, and being able to see the last few seconds of how a player died. Here's a bigass list of more stuff <spoiler /><spoiler>
Bonfire Strengthening (Kindling)
If someone strengthens a bonfire, this will be transmitted to people "nearby" (in network terms) who are using the same bonfire, giving them an extra Estus Flask. Strengthening a bonfire costs valuable Humanity, but you can use it to help out strangers and gain a sense of solidarity with your fellow strugglers.

Vagrants
Things like discarded items and lost Humanity transform into different forms and wander through other people's game worlds. If people leave them alone without picking them up, they keep moving, eventually transforming into very valuable items. This is another way for players to help each other, with the sense that everyone is helping to bring these items into existence.

Shared Events
When someone rings a bell, the sound reverberates to players nearby in the network. Hearing someone else's victory is intended to stimulate other player's own drive to succeed. NOTE: There are two known 'Bells' in the world of Dark Souls that must be rung at some point in a players quest to learn how to break the curse of the undead.

Bonfire Phantoms
Near bonfires (and only near them), the phantoms of other players are more distinct and visible than elsewhere in the game or anywhere in Demon's Souls. Seeing other people resting at the same bonfire helps players realize that these people are probably facing the same challenges.

Miracle Resonance
Some miracles have a "Resonance" property. If multiple players nearby in the network use these miracles, the effect for everyone is amplified.

Covenant "Way of White"
This covenant is for helping out other players online. Players who are in this covenant will automatically be drawn closer to each other on the network. This makes the abovementioned Miracle Resonance easier to perform, as well as helps block people from antagonistic covenants from coming closer on the network.

The setup for the various covenants affects multiplayer situations in many different ways, especially the parameters of versus play, expanding the scope well beyond Demon's Souls. The game is designed to introduce multiplayer events as an extension of each character's role-playing in these covenants.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:51 am

I actually bought my ps3 to play demon souls, and I hated it (i rarely hate games too, hell i really like the new GoT:Genesis game)

Difficulty is one thing, constantly dying and coming back weaker gets pretty dull, I had to have this intimate map knowledge and remember where every bad guy was , no thanks

Looked great though and I liked the fighting, I think it’s a jprg thing aswell

I would check this game out but I heard u die constantly like the first one, which puts me off
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:00 am

yep cant wait for this, will be epic
MeathaX
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:43 pm

tomorrow ftw!
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:28 am

Hate being at work in the morning on a new game day, should have got the day off, ah well afew more hours till YOU DIED :D
MeathaX
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:17 pm

Got my copy in my bag, dying to go home, work ftl, FML
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Sinister
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:27 am

Played about 4 hours of this last night and its fucking awesome thx. Started a Knight character, but had to shed the heavier starting plate in favour of hollowed armour I picked up off the undead so I was maneuverable, could dodge etc.

Managed to kill the first big demon before hitting the sack - the Taurus demon - i think you got this guy too right Meat? I leapt from the tower twice, then ran back down the path and finished him with firebombs. Was fucking intense as. Then there was that dragon on the bridge before being able to get to another bonfire..lol. Got to the save part in the mid, which was safe from his breath, was waiting for another breath to fire before running across to the stairway down, but he of course flew to me then smashed me.

Framerate in some bits was a bit on the chuggy side, but has been mostly fine. Combat feels awesome, wearing heavier armour doesnt get you stunlocked by hits so much anymore so is much more useful. Have died a fuckload of times. Even mobs Ive been through tons of times already, if i rush, or arent careful, they kill you so damned easily.

The ai is a pisser. They charge at you, rush after you, can climb up ladders to chase you, are super defensive with their shield so it can be like playing another human - have to tootally try and trick them into attacking so you can hit back into their opening. They leap out of the way, throw firebombs, drink health flasks, goddamn! Also love how through all the standard minions, you'll then run down a hall and suddenly be presented with this tall black knight who rapes your face off.

Was also hell fucked by the rats under the dragon bridge, that poison is BRUTAL thx. I so need to look into some way of curing it, it lasts for ages and takes off so much damned damage
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:13 am

yeh i only just killed him once i worked out you can do the drop attack on him, then it was easy, also killed that black knight by luring him out and casting firebombs (cause im pyromancer) finally did all that which took like 50 lifes then i get past the taurus demon and get owned by a dragon before the next bonfire lols
MeathaX
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:47 am

yeh i only just killed him once i worked out you can do the drop attack on him, then it was easy, also killed that black knight by luring him out and casting firebombs (cause im pyromancer) finally did all that which took like 50 lifes then i get past the taurus demon and get owned by a dragon before the next bonfire lols
Yeah but at least its easier to get back there with the Taurus out of the way. Apparently talking to that Saint you find down the stairs before the dragon 3 times and you get a white stone - allowing you to be summoned.

Have you tried losing hollow mode and kindling a fire yet? I think if you do that you then get more estus flasks.

Kinda need realtime chat or voice chat when playing this, as there's many lols when you get WTFPWNED unexpectedly.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:13 pm

Yeh a propper coop would be good but might take some of the atmosphere away.

Ive got 11 flasks now doing that kindle thing, kinda confusing tho.

Btw I just got owned by a giant flying gargoyle with an axe for a tail, I hear if u chop certain tails off you might get a weapon so im gunna try get and chop his off then roll some dudes with a giant gargoyle tail axe weapon 8-)

Lovin this game is living upto hype for a change
MeathaX
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:21 am

add deepjay to psn
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:09 am

really dug demons soul, sadly lacked time to finish it.
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:14 pm

The UI in this game is pretty atrocious. Just awful.
SoulFire
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:47 am

The UI in this game is pretty atrocious. Just awful.
eh it's a big step up from Demon's Souls. I'm surprised you bought this tbh seeing any time ive mentioned it in irc you've always replied with, SOUNDS SHIT
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:30 am

So far so good with this - it's hard and frustrating in parts, but it has been bloody fun exploring the place and learning the game. Have so far managed to kill the butterfly demon in the garden, now heading down to i think blight town.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Where you at with it Meat?

Tonight i killed the hydra and capra demon, about to go check out the depths
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:52 am

http://www.giantbomb.com/dark-souls-has ... r/17-5059/

This is up there with one of the best games ive ever played on console. It's a fucking dog in parts, but it is such a damned good game IMO.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Just thought I'd drop in and report. Loving the game so far but christ it makes me angry at times. I'm level 69 so far using a strength build warrior with the black knight greataxe.

I've cleared the undead burg/chapel, the depths, blighttown, the demon area below blighttown and the forest areas. I'm a fair way through the catacombs and the old ruins but not cleared. Sen's Fortress is a cunt with all of the traps.

Haven't really touched any spells yet or the upgrading side of things. I did make a few mistakes though. I accidentally used a fire keeper soul before I knew about upgrading your flask. I also killed someone I shouldn't have but ah well. I didn't read up much on the game prior to release as I didn't want to spoil anything.
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:35 pm

You cleared the demons area beneath blightown? How?! I went down there then ran out holding my ass away from the taurus demons to the max
Deepjay

[ignore]