bittah.com!~ DOTA 2

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:45 am

DOTA 2

First screenshots leaked:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... ostcount=1

There’s going to be the first footage shown some point in this month of a tournament they are running of existing DOTA teams etc.

Looking at those screenshots…while I think the artwork doesn’t look too bad, I can’t remotely think what DOTA2 can bring to the genre that HoN or LoL haven’t already covered. While I am sure they will be going for a lot more community style features, and undoubtedly will be going for a free to play model (as there’s no real way they can compete with HoN or LoL without one) – I just cant see how they’re going to actually add anything new.

HoN and LoL have been out for a long time now, and both have advanced in huge ways. Both have absolutely massive playerbases (particularly LoL now), and both are brimming with features. LoL offers a slightly different style of gameplay to the more hardcore HoN(closer to original DoTA), whilst I think LoL’s new map/game mode Dominion is going to go absolutely through the roof.

HoN on the other hand has an amazing set of features. I am not a massive fan of its busy ingame interface anymore, but the replay features, the way the lobbies work, game joining, all rock. Particularly how you can pull up replays of any game you have played previously, great replay controls and handling, and the best practice mode of either game, where you have complete control over your heroes levels/gold etc, so can really experiment. This is something I wish LoL had more of, but I am sure it will come.

So yeah – what do you guys think? I’m really at a bit of a loss to see what DOTA 2 will bring that the others haven’t already covered. Has it missed the boat? The name alone will draw massive interest, and the fact Icefrog is involved.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:05 am

It'll be a huge success imo basically it comes down to 3 things:

1. It's new and will be the prettiest of the 3 games.
2. It carries the name DOTA so it EVERYBODY who played dota will try it especially if it's f2p and they will try their hardest to love it no matter what its actually like just based off their loving memories of the original.
3. It's on steam

Also Valve can throw alot of money and resources at it that s2 and lol can't and make pretty large changes rapidly if needed + content galore.

I will def play it, hopefully its awesome, and hopefully they add content consistently that fits the game not shit like hats and crafting n gayness they did to tf2.

*edit* That screenshot seems rather bland eh?
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:14 am

Oh regarding resources, I wouldn’t necessarily say Valve can out-do LoL. LoL has become super massive. S2 used to be the forerunner here – but LoL has overtaken it in a big way. While HoN has at times 20-30-40-50k users online, LoL has 100k+ (apparently anyway). While Valve certainly has massive resources behind them, Riot too is sitting pretty.

Ultimately, it’s good to have choice. While I like what HoN does, I’ve become too far ingrained with LoL and simply cant go back to it. LoL feels considerably better. I will be interested to try out DOTA2 though.

One of the things I just cant get back into – which didn’t phase me originally, is the locked zoom. It’s just too close, it actually fucks with my eyes. I played a game of HoN the other week while LoL was down for maintenance and it actually made my eyes feel funny.

Interesting comparison screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/2wppw.jpg
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:24 am

Man I havent seen that hon interface is yonks, god i hate it, i've used miniUI for like 2 years.

I think a major portion of the player base of either hon or lol are ex-dota players and all of them will try it, and the allure of the so called "perfectly balanced" heroes that people always say dota had etc.. I never really played dota so nfi but I'll def check it out even if it's just for a slightly fresh feel. If they do it well enough from day 1 to get their hooks into people then they will probably stay.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:06 am

Mini-ui? What is that exactly?

That DOTA interface reminds me of LoL's big clunky original one.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:12 am

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:14 am

Miniui. it's an interface mod, if you want it in hon there probably a mod for it, can change shops and shit aswell auto buy mods etc.. it's like wow, mods for everything if you want them nearly all are just cosmetic though.

Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:26 am

That miniui mod looks good eh.

Some other things ive found about HoN that have been difficult when used to LoL. Hon feels fuckloads faster – particularly movement speeds. Also feels like you’re doing tons more damage to players and so die much much faster. And there’s so many colours it’s near on impossible to tell wtf is going on. My eyes are getting soft with age..
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:49 pm

ShazzA
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:18 am

So did anyone else watch the DOTA2 live streams last night?

Have to say, the graphics do look pretty sweet, but the gameplay is from what i could, identical to DOTA & HoN (as expected). The first game must have gone for 2.5 hours approx, and there were lots of lag pauses.

One of the things I like way more about LoL than HoN is the length of games. HoN can get campy, where people fight early, middle, then late they take to roaming jungles, killing creeps and eventually..eventually, fighting the enemy. This game played out exactly like that.

So all in all, will definitely check it out - the streams will be available all over the place, apparently in 1080p on dota2's youtube channel, but yeah, i guess i was hoping for some kind of advancement in the genre - even though i knew Icefrog was wanting a 1:1 transfer
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:04 pm

Yeah I watched it for a bit as well, pretty much same thoughts, I never played dota and I know hon was a near 1:1 replica with some renamed and a few new heroes but fuck me it was like watching hon with new skins. I also though dota 2 would spice it up a little somehow with something(nfi what) but something new.

Really for me as someone who plays alot of hon with mates, I def check it out and go where my friends go at the end of the day but if its community features etc are a step backwards and it offers nothing new it might not stick with fans.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:05 pm

For someone who wants to give one of these games a first crack. What do you recommend?
Sinister
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:08 pm

LoL.
Vandle
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:42 pm

No need to laugh at me ...... could just give me an answer thanks :o
Sinister
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:28 am

League of Legends is probably a bit more forgiving, but that can be decieving also. While it doesnt have creep denying like Dota/Hon, it is definitely still a cunt for people who arent very good players. ie - if you die a lot, it is very,very obvious, and you can almost guarantee you'll get abused.

That being said, it's a very enjoyable game.

HoN is much closer to the original DOTA and naturally, Dota 2. In fact it's practically a 1:1 translation. HoN brought in a 'Casual' mode which means that when you die, you no longer lose gold (like LoL), and this really does help newer players, or those just not really interested in the more hardcore version of the game.

It also limits denying. Denying is last hitting your own minions (the little uncontrollable dudes that spill down the lanes). When you do this, you stop an enemy from getting the last hit (kill) thus they wont get gold for it. In regular HoN/DOTA, doing this also denies them the XP - but in casual mode, they will still get the XP if they're in the regular XP radius - ie fairly close to the thing when it dies.

I played DOTA back in the day, but played the shit out of HoN during its beta period. HoN was just wtfawesome. LoL didnt grab me at first, but then aI came back to it later and really loved it.

One of the things that really seperates the two these days is the viewing distance. HoN is like DOTA - locked into a fairly close view of the action. This is purposelful and strategic as it comes down to being aware of the map at ALL times. People suddenly spring around corners or out of bushes etc.

LoL has a view that is further away, so there's less surprises of that nature, but there's 'grass' around the maps which you can hide in. These are basically ambush points. So while its a bit easier with the further out view, it's still will punish you if you are not map aware and using wards for view etc.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:25 am

haven't played LoL, there is no penalty for dying? just lost time?

I really like being able to deny an enemy gold/xp, I like being able to outlevel someone I'm versing in a lane but crippling their xp, it adds decisions into the game, I could last hit my creep thats low and get 40gold or deny that creep of mine thats low and stop the enemy hero getting xp and 40g etc. Without that I would feel like im not really doing anything in a lane. last hitting, denying & harrassing is like a full time job in lane.

Hon is a good game but if you havent played any games of the like you need a super thick skin and be very persistent to get enjoyment from it. I remmeber when I started playing and it seems like you see an enemy and you just get insta dead and theres nothing you can do over and over. If i wasn't playing with flatmates in the same room I would have given up so fast, but after a while you et to know how & when t atk when to back off what items etc etc. but it's a super steep learning curve in hon very very unforgiving.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:17 am

LoL is different from HoN in certain ways. It can be more simplistic in some areas, but it is not an easier game, if that makes any sense.

There is no denying, it’s more about last-hitting for gold and actual champion combat. While HoN has this as well, I find LoL has more of a focus on the actual skirmishes than specifically uber clicking for denies/last hits. While I was quite good at denying in HoN, I definitely do not miss it in LoL.
When you die in LoL you don’t lose gold, but you do give gold to the enemy, so deaths still = feeding the enemy. S2 realized that this does appeal to a large playerbase which is why they implemented it into HoN’s casual mode – which is like HoN’s current APEM.

LoL’s laning is more push-pull and IMO feels better than in HoN (and this is from playing shitloads of games in both titles). The LoL towers are nasty, but they’re weaker than HoN’s meaning if you kill the enemy laners 2-3 times you can really push the tower fast. I find LoL’s laning phase is shorter than HoN’s moving the game more from early laning into roaming/ganking.
The other big difference is at the main point where the minions meet in each lane, there’s sections of brush/grass. These are critical to how the game plays. Ducking in and out of them for juking, launching surprise attacks, or along the river, ganks etc. The brush alone is a huge differentiator between HoN and LoL.

The other thing that imo seperates LoL from HoN is LoL is a lot more forgiving when a team has a really fed carry. In HoN, when someone becomes super fed it’s basically GG. In LoL, you can literally win when your base has been pushed to the max. If you can ace the enemy (ie kill all 5 of them), you can do a super push back to their base and win the game.
All in all, they’re both really enjoyable games, but there’s two definitely different gamestyles on offer – which is good considering they’re both using an almost identical map layout, with the same underlying mechanics.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:01 pm

I should really give it a look one weekend. is the brush like everywhere and massive? Cause its pretty rare to have any spot in any lane in hon where you cant hide in the trees or juke an inc atk/hero by whipping behind a tree. I geuss if you dont know the tree gaps you cant really see them in hon as the gaps dont look any diff than 2 trees you cant go between which now i think of it is kinda weird and dumb.

Can you play lol without the micro transactions competivly or do you pretty much need to fork over some money or you only get the ghey free heros etc.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:21 pm

i think playing normally you can unlock heros. None of them are completely shit tho so if you pay its just to get the one you want quicker.

if you wanna see gameplay just watch the livestreams:

http://www.own3d.tv/live

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/League%20of%20Legends

ps. i dont see Hon at IEM.. kek
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:38 pm

the dota 2 comp that's been running the past 5 days has ended now with team Na'vi taking home the $1,000,000 1st place prize.
i watched about half a dozen of the games throughout the comp, dota2 seems to be shaping up really nicely
wackety
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]