bittah.com!~ Eve Online.

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Games / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:08 pm

Eve Online.

Rather than derailing that other thread I thought it best to talk here.

I'm currently just letting it idle training a whole bunch of skills.

If you want to do some missions let me know. Was going to hold out for a Destroyer, but think I might buy a Rifter.
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:08 pm

I totally disagree when people say eve has a much bigger and really hard learning curve, thats total crap. In reality its hardly any worse than many other games its just you need to invest a fuck load more time into it.

time != required skill

Glad I don't play anymore sucha time sink. My flatmate has 3 accounts open & playing at any one time O_o
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:00 pm

I will check it out with you at some stage KFC, i did buy it - hell for 5 bucks it's better value than a bucket of shit (which is 5.69 btw)

Downloading it atm, so maybe tomorrow night or something
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:05 pm

No rush really.

Servers are down for an hour right now, so I've left a whole bunch of skills being trained overnight.

I can see how it takes a year or so to get a Titan now... apparently some of the later skills take a month to train alone.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:16 pm

So what race thingy should i go so im in the same area?
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:37 pm

You guys might want to look at www.theoldergamers.com as there is an Aussie Empire corp running there. Hving said that, don't get caught up in the mission running stuff for too long and certainly don't get into mining unless you are doing it as a second activity (I mine while marking).

The PvP is where it's at and a pirate corp is not a bad thing to be in as long as you don't want to get back to empire (make an alt for this).

Having said that, if you want a hand mission running, contact me in-game (Dallith Bradley or Friday Baldwin) and I'll help you get your mission running reputation up so that you can run L3/L4s faster and throw you a few ships and some ISK to get you going.

Download Evemon to skill-train effectively - it's the best asset you can have for getting into decent ships.

KFC: Rifter is where it's at for frigates but while destroyers have their uses, cruisers and battlecruisers are better (unless in a wolfpack). I went from frigate to assault frigate on Friday and missioned better than in a destroyer. AGONY run basic training and wolf-pack training for noobs - you get to rip up expensive ships with your cheapy as part of a big fleet (50+).

Timesink yeah - as any MMO is, but offline training means you don't have to be in-game all the time to progress.
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:01 pm

Cool.

Well, I went Minmatar -> Sebiestor -> Tinkerer just to be different.

Ultimately I was going to go for a Marauder. That ship sounded cool. But apparently they get raped by Battleships...

So was looking at something like a Command Ship. Any thoughts?

Yeah, help / money would be good, but I'm still training a whole bunch of core skills so it'll take a while to catch up :?

Can you link to the latest EVEMon? There are several sites offering it.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:07 pm

it's so cheap i picked up a copy.. always wanted to give it a bit of a go
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 pm

Sweet, sounds good.

Just reading up on some of the best active tank setups for the Rifter. There's so much to learn...

I've bought the thing. Can't properly fly it yet though.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:31 pm

KFC: Marauders are Tech 2 versions of Battleships and are generally better (very much so if you are Caldari - not so much if you are Minmatar). Best bet is to aim for a Hurricane (battlecruiser for Level 3s) and then Maelstrom (battleship for L4s) if you are Minmatar. You can run L2s in a rifter as long as you bug out when it gets nasty.

Having said that, rifter is the way to go. Get your skills into level 2 weapons first as well as power skills so you can fit things. Don't neglect learning skills, they are imperative to speeding up the training process as is the cybernetics skill so that you can fit +3 learning skills implants minimum. I'd be training cybernetics first to III.

Welesley has an awesome rifter guide here http://www.rifterdrifter.com/ and gives some great blogs as a pirate.

Personally, I love the rifter and it's tech 2 assault frigate counterparts (Jaguar and Wolf). I passive (shield) and speed tank mine using afterburners on each - I don't use a microwarp drive on frigates - only on my interceptors (plus MWDs don't work in deadspace where you mission).

EFT can be found here: http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.as ... 883&page=1 for playing with theorycraft ships and EVEMon here http://evemon.battleclinic.com/

EVEmon also allows you access to ship setups but a lot are out of date.

For info on character creation, the Goons wiki is probably the best: http://wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php?tit ... r_Creation

http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports gives you info on how to pull packs of ships/ammo to use/hardeners to fit - but I don't bother with it until Level 4s.

Tuesday is the huge patch day for the Dominion expansion (you don't pay for expansions) so expect to be held up getting into the game - sometimes the patches are flawless - sometimes not :) Set a long skill to train just in case.

Big warning: unlike other MMOs, scamming is allowed in EVE. Double check everything, especially contracts (other than the market itself). Is that Caldari Navy Raven in the contract really a CNR or just a normal one etc? EVE has no rules - you aren't safe anywhere even in empire. In empire, Concorde will avenge you - not save you. :D Insure your ships and never fly what you can't afford to lose.
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:29 am

Btw what's the deal with this game and a monthly fee? I created an account which activated the steam side, but it didnt ask me for my cc...it's not going to charge via steam monthly or something is it? I ask because if there's any auto-charging setup, i'll cancel it immediately. With trials i only activate if i think I am going to want to continue beyond the free period.

With this so far I am thinking possibly not. It looks better than what i thought, but still pretty meh at the same time. Not really a fan of needing binocular glasses to read all the ui elements and box text.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:28 am

Yeah, apparently the latest patch is giving the UI an overhaul, see what happens after that.

Not sure about the monthly thing. I'm just going to wing it this month, and then cross the bridge when I come to it.

Thanks Setanta. I read somewhere that the Marauder costs about 10 times as much as a Battleship, but if it gets swarmed by >3 it usually goes down. Doesn't seem like a good option to me:

http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Marauders

I'll keep working on the skills. I'll still with active tanking for now, may give passive a go. Looks rather complicated though.

Still keen on that Commander class. Seems more like my thing. Will see.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:50 am

My first impressions are pretty mixed. Cant see myself playing much of this at all, but for 5 bucks, it doesnt matter either way.

The overriding feeling was everything was SMALL. Sure the universe is big, but everything in the game is small. I feel like i cant zoom in close enough to my ship to satisfy. I warp to a waypoint then are squinting to find tiny little red target boxes which denote my target. I destroy the target then have to squint for an even harder to find cargo box - well until i found that box which lists the closest targets - but either way, when i had a bunch of them, they turn into that white arrow indicator which looks similar to the planets/location markers which are also white.

Clicking and opening layers of boxes, all have tiny little control boxes within them, and the text is all tiny. Some elements like the left click and hold ui element isnt too bad, but man, it feels like everything is tiny and crammed full of text.

Then there's circling targets while trying to click another target while my screens jerking panning around. I dont know...the whole sci-fi feel is there, it's quite good in that department, but initial thoughts are it wont have enough to make me feel like i want to invest more time into it.

The skill training time factor is a mixed bag - on one hand, i like the sort of way this works, it adds an interesting element that's not part of any other game - the bad part of this is it feels like you have to have a default minimum time invested - not just a learning curve but a predetermined amount of time before you can achieve anything - i dont really like that kind of limitation. I guess it's just another way to represent what is a part of any mmo - but it's often disguised better.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:07 am

Yeah I can understand. I found it frustrating that way too. Now I tend to use the UI menus more than clicking on the actual object. Makes it much simpler for me, and they're bigger / easier to select. Interested to see what fixes they implement.

The way the skills work is actually quite appealing. It establishes boundaries for me. I knew it was a timesink when I bought it, and now that is all quantified I can plan around it. I set a whole bunch of skills to train, go do other things, and come back when they're ready. Gets me away from the PC which can be an issue with MMO games.

I also like how you can do fast-gating like you could in Freelancer. Disabling autopilot once you start moving, selecting the target, then gating / docking just as you approach rather than waiting ages for the autopilot to do it.

Learning the keyboard shortcuts is a chore though. But when isn't that the case.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:11 am

I have no issues with time sinks as long as you can do them in bite sized chunks. This is where MMO's dont phase me so much as i can just log in or out at will and chip away, I am not actually stuck in it unless part of some kind of raid (aka most of the reason why i stopped playing wow back in the day).

Ignoring all that though, from a glance the universe doesnt have the character of something seen in other games such as say Freelancer/starlancer what not. I've seen a few other ships around, but it just feels empty and dull. Granted I havent hardly seen anything yet, and there may be tons more on offer around the corner, but going by what ive read from other long-time players, I'm not so sure.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:19 am

Theres one thing that i realised early on with the game that made the experience more fun for me. First is that you NEED people to play with, either a good corp, friends or something. Second you NEED direction else you'll get bored so fast you'll be like fuck how can anybody play this. Lastly you have to take it as a game that you play half heartedly most of the time. I might have eve running for 9-10 hours when i have a day off. Im only playing really for an hour or two maybe more when theres some action, the rest of the time if theres something that doesnt require full attention im chatting, listening to music, surfing web, playing on facebook blah blah.

Its a game that if you sit down at and try to play like a normal mmo you'll lose your mind fast and go nup this is shit. Maybe at the start you'll be like that cos your tryna get the hang of everything.

On mauraders: These are great missioning ships because they allow you to fit 4 turrets that do the damage of 8 normally, meaning you can have tractor beams and salvagers in the high slots. The amount of training required for them is very high. I still cant fly them, i need to get battleship to 5 and thats a 30 day skill for me. Its one of my more closer goals to pick up.

Black-ops battleships are pretty cool aswell, allowing you to create covert jump portals that bombers, recons and blockade runners can access to jump several systems without using the stargates.

Battleships themselves are pretty useful ships to have in the long run, and expensive. For any of the large and good alliance, they expect you to be able to equip all of these ships with tech 2 equipment, and thats where the real timesink starts to come in, as some of those bits and peices take a LONg time to train up. I have only been able to use t2 fit battleships in the last few months.

Ive also taken atleast 5 seperate breaks from the game for periods from 3 months to a year once thinking thats it i wont go back, but i always returned. Once youve experienced the thrill of pvp, having your expensive ship on the line and knowing if it goes down, your gonna be broke, but if you manage to just make that jump to the gate you'll get out ok is what makes this game.

Lastly, ive heard people describe the game as corrupt. What they mean is that underhanded tactics are encouraged and not prevented by the gm's. There are so many examples of this happening. Dont trust anybody in this game. People join corps with the single intention of becoming close enough and getting enough access so they can clear out entire corp hangers and make a fortune. Goonswarm have a reputation of killing anybody who thinks they can join them by luring them into lawless space with the promise of an invite and then taking their most expensive toys away from them. This is what makes this game so damn awesome.

You can hit me up in game as Sotha Sila, dont ask me for money though cos ive had no time to make cash, and i dont think im going to have any time soon considering the fights going on up here.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:26 pm

Yeah DJ I think you're expecting too much too soon.

I remember being rather unimpressed with Freelancer at the start too. Doing a bunch of routine trading runs with friends getting money. Then a friendly guy in a Sabre stopped by and said "you know this is just the tip of the iceberg right?" and gave me a bunch of money. He led me out to the Omicrons which were baron, noone around, rather eerie. And I bought my first higher tier ship. At that point the game took on a different dynamic.

I'd go back to the nub zones and realise just how limited in scope they really are.

That's what I'm waiting for, and believe me there's more to Eve than the first month of gameplay. I'm sure most of the players don't play in the zones we're in. In Freelancer I could clock it in about a day and have the best ship out there with the highest shields and weapons. In Eve I've just got through the tutorials and am training my lowest skills up... it's a huge game.

Hey, if it isn't for you that's your prerogative. But to base that on a matter of hours is rather shortsighted.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm

Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:34 pm

I'm not short-sighted, I'm awesum
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:03 pm

:yellow_laugh:

Alright alright, just get your ass to Mars.
KFC

[ignore]