bittah.com!~ View topic - Dark Souls

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Tribes: Ascend gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance.

Discussion for every game other than Tribes.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Post » Wed May 16, 2012 10:55 pm

dreamstation Wrote:I know what you mean about getting frustrated with the game. There were times when I spat the dummy hardcore and put it down for over a week. Then I'd come back with a new take on it and I would breeze through the areas that were giving me trouble and I was hooked again. Both this and Demon's Souls are rewarding experiences and should be seen through to the end, but not always in a continuous session. Taking days or weeks break in between does wonders I found

Was in the same boat, mega raged when I died in The Dukes Archives (jumping from a balcony) and didn't get my souls and humanity back at the point of death....again. Came back to it (Crystal Caves) and just got 2 hit smashed by the golden golem f**k halfway down :dev: ....f**k you Dark Souls :dev:
....however the dvd managed about 50m distance in reasonably straight flight....best feeling from this game so far :D
....on to Mass Effect 3!!
Riker
Constable Care

[ignore]

Post » Thu May 17, 2012 3:24 pm

Quitter!

... Did you really throw your disc? :cry:

dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu May 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Honestly riker, gamers like you are probably not the target audience.

hurlz
faggot aimbotting lady boy
faggot aimbotting lady boy

[ignore]

Post » Thu May 17, 2012 5:15 pm

:laugh:
you might be right hurlz!!! back to plain old first person shooting with a sniper rifle from a long way off :P
...maybe not 50m dreamstation.....disc still works....going cheap!
My first rage quit....bonus!! :oops: w00t!
Riker
Constable Care

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:13 am

Great news – the extra stuff going into the PC version will be sold as downloadable DLC for the consoles. Not that I have gotten anywhere near the end of the game – christ I should get back into it.

I was actually wanting to do an experiment and see how my wife (someone who never plays games and hates+ them) would go playing Dark Souls – even the tutorial. Can a complete non gamer type actually play something of this nature? My guess would be no. I thought it might be an amusing article.

Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Any word on pricing? If it's anything like usual it will be over priced on the AUS store compared to stores overseas. Some DLC on the AUS store is in excess of $20 which is more than some full downloadable games (Journey) or retail games on sale

May end up double dipping and just grab the PC version later on down the track when it's dropped in price.. I'm curious as to how it will play

dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:58 pm

Any of you console jockeys think this'd be worth trying to play with a keyboard and mouse?

Lewdeh
bumfuck
bumfuck

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:52 pm

It’s going to be fail on PC – can almost guarantee it. I think I read that it’s going to be locked at 30 fps, and they are doing no work on the UI to make it more PC friendly. It’s simply a port being brought over due to the large supposed demand for it. They would have been better off planning their next game to come over – or re-working this one.

Problem is, as good as this game is, the UI is pretty terrible – functional, but terrible (and it’s still way better than Demon’s Souls’!) – and the framerate on console was also inconsistent. This was bearable because the game is so f*****g win, but on PC, people will be shocked. And by shocked I mean the typical reaction of people who knew the above would apply, but were hoping that it was somehow not the case. Places like the ruins, and plaguetown or whatever the name was, will still have shitty FPS. They didn’t have poor FPS due to hardware limitations of consoles afaik, they just weren’t particularly well designed – huge areas, lots of light sources etc.

I’ll prolly grab an eval version on PC to check it out – if the above actually has been fixed, I’ll buy it because I think it’d be even better with mouse and keyboard (if all of the above isn’t true).

The UI was fine on console, but will be clunky on PC. I just want to mention that it’s not really the developers sucking, but more them (in their Japanese way) wanting to please the masses who petitioned for this to come onto PC. They said they didn’t really have the time/budget to do a full re-release/re-creation, so it’s almost like an act of goodwill.

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:11 pm

August 24 and going to be on Steam apparently (hope the Steam version doesn't use GFWL but probably will)

I reckon it should be alright (possibly better) playing with keyboard and mouse due to the swiftness in aiming/moving than you can with a controller. It will depend on how much effort they put into it and if they allow re-binding of keys

dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:24 pm

Apparently no effort DS - this is my point. They made it clear they're not making any changes.

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:39 am

Probably relying on the few innovative modding/tweaking crowd that exists for stuff on PC, unless of course they hardcode that down or it was never an option.

philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:02 am

They're legally required to mention it on the steam page if a game uses/requires GFWL, and it doesn't say that on the Dark Souls steam page.

Good signs.

Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:10 pm

PC CHANGES

While PC gamers will finally get Dark Souls, don't hold your breath for graphical improvements, much less high-definition graphics. Prepare To Die is a straight port from consoles. The framerate will be locked, gameplay mods will be non-existant (due to the company's lack of experience with PC titles), and mouse and keyboard support will be minimal. FromSoftware wants to closely emulate the console experience as much as possible, and recommends hooking up a controller to the PC.[1]

While Miyazaki doesn't want gameplay mods, he welcomes textures, graphic, and even sound mods.

More details are expected to come from E3 2012.

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Apparently you can change the resolution according to this twitter post: https://twitter.com/MikeMcWhertor/statu ... 5611474944

Code: Select All Code
Just watched From Software change the resolution of Dark Souls PC to 1080p. Game of show.

Also a quote from another forum apparently from the same bloke:

Code: Select All Code
So, since I saw the game today, I'll mention what I got to see in terms of technical details.

Yes, you can change the resolution. I'll note that at E3 From was playing the game in a window at 720p. And there were frame rate issues. :\

There was a frame rate setting, which was set to 30 FPS. I didn't see them change this and I don't know if it was locked to 30 or not or what the other settings are.

There was also a setting for screen size (FULL/WINDOWED) and anti-aliasing (ON/OFF), but I didn't see these settings in action.

I only had 12 minutes to see it in action and interview a From producer, so there are still some unknowns. I'm doing what I can to confirm technical details, but From said they're bearing down on the PC port and there are still things in flux.

FPS issues. Sad times :cry:
dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:50 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ ... well_from/

Pretty disappointing, we will see if they actually push back the release date or go for it as is. Hopefully From Software can use this as a learning experience for the next "Souls" game.
Scorch
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:00 pm

I don't think they can really improve on what they have on the PS3 for both Demon's and Dark Souls. Sure there are areas where the FPS is not ideal but everything else is spot on.

I think if they just took their time and did a proper port it would be very successful. Not sure why they are trying to rush it out the door and not put in the effort as that's exactly what they are known for with their console games.. :?

dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:35 pm

There are various quotes on Eurogamer where From Software explains the difficulty they are having porting Dark Souls to PCs. "To be completely honest, we're having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC. First we thought it would be a breeze, but it's turned out not to be the case. We're still developing right now - we're crunching right now," says producer Daisuke Uchiyama. "In Japan there's not much of a PC market and we haven't really taken into consideration that audience before. That's one of the reasons why we haven't been able to step up on the PC platform until now." He also admits that they are not including any PC optimizations, and have not been able to overcome the framerate issues the console versions exhibited in some areas. "In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it's more strictly a port from the console version. We haven't been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC," he says. "However, in exchange for that, we have prioritised adding new content for both original players and new players."

They're crazy releasing it like that, absolutely crazy. The PC gamers who wanted it arent going to take a bar of it - even though they're the ones who begged for it. I appreciate what they're doing, but they shouldn't be doing it like this. They're going to do themselves more harm than good than releasing a shitty console port - even of a great game. Being great on console as we know doesnt neccessarily make it good on PC.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:35 pm

From what i've read, they just don't understand the PC since the market isn't there in japan.

They thought it would be easily ported across... oh well.

Maybe they should hire out some company to do the port properly for them? Maybe they think they wouldn't make more money that way?
The negative press around a shitty port or paying another company to port it properly = ???

philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:57 am

1080p with antialiasing and not having to pay for xbox live were all I was asking for, I can deal with frame rate issues as much as I did on xbox, hopefully they'll get it sorted out though.

Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Time for a necro - for a long coming announcement...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/21142 ... uggest__13

$40 only? I'm shocked in a good way!

Pricklyman
unsettled

[ignore]