bittah.com!~ Making a Murderer - Netflix (spoilers - but not in 1stpost)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:14 pm

Making a Murderer - Netflix (spoilers - but not in 1stpost)

For anyone who doesn't know what this is, it's basically a documentary/series based on a real crime, where a man named Steven Avery was jailed for 18 years for the rape and assault of a woman, but then exonerated as it was proven via DNA to have been done by someone else. It appeared the cops had it in for him here and then did everything in their power to ensure he was jailed.

And then (the plot thickens!), he's released from jail and pursues a massive damages suit against the state of Winsconsin and while this is progressing is suddenly the primary (and basically only) suspect in a new murder case.

The series is basically an examination of all of the above, with the latter half detailing most of the court trial through to eventual convictions. It's fascinating and in many cases, totally WTF. I won't say anymore about it but highly reccomend you check it out as it plays out like an IRL crime fiction.

Spoilers beyond this point, so read on at your peril!

Anyone else watched this? What do you make of it?
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:24 pm

man I literally felt sick at what the police and his lawyer did to Brendan Dassey (the nephew). Watching the police interviews you can clearly tell the kid has no fucking idea whats going on (he apparently has an IQ of around 80). After being coerced into admitting to a murder he still thinks he will be allowed to go back to school in time to finish an assignment. His mother was a complete fucking bitch too.

The murdered womens ex looked to be far more suspect than Steven and he was the one that discovered certain evidence.

The district attorney was also a complete slime ball
In October 2009, Kratz was prosecuting a domestic violence case against the boyfriend of a 26-year-old domestic violence victim. She filed a police report in Kaukauna, Wisconsin, alleging that Kratz had sent her 30 sexually coercive text messages over the span of three days.[14] She said that she felt that he was trying to coerce her into a sexual relationship at the risk of dismissing the case against her boyfriend.[15] The report was referred to the state's Division of Criminal Investigation. During the DCI investigation, two more women came forward accusing Kratz of harassing and intimidating them.[16] At the time, Kratz was serving as chairman of the Wisconsin Crime Victims' Rights Board.[3]

Kratz resigned in October 2010 after governor Jim Doyle sought his removal.[17][5] After his accuser filed a federal civil suit against him, Kratz settled out of court in 2013.[18][19]

In June 2014, Kratz's law license was suspended for four months by the Wisconsin Supreme Court. During the disciplinary hearing, Kratz admitted abusing prescription drugs and being treated for sexual addiction and narcissistic personality disorder
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:39 pm

Yeah there was so much wrong with the prosecution. It blew me away that they were taking anything that came out of Brendan's mouth as serious - very rarely did they mention the guy was basically intellectually disabled.

All things point towards Steven being innocent - but that raises the question, WHO or moreso HOW could someone else have done it in such a tight timeframe and set all that up? It just doesn't make sense. On one hand there's like zero evidence other than the obvious (the bone fragments, the keys, the blood etc) - but on the other there's NO blood/DNA/anything anywhere else. And as the lawyer pointed out - Steven has supposedy bled in the car and yet not a single fingerprint. He's dropped blood but left no fingerprints, meaning if he's using gloves, how then is he bleeding?

There's just so much of it that wreaks of setup.

BUT if it was a setup, i just cant see how it could have happened short of the cops monitoring him and seeing it as an opportunity to frame him, but that'd mean they would have had to kill her - which is pretty extreme.

It just doesn't fucking add up! I'd kill to know the truth of it.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:42 pm

Binged on this a couple of weeks ago. What started as a 'oh I'll checkout the first ep or two' ended in an entire day gone and me pacing around the house wondering what the actual fuck is wrong with americans and their justice system.
I'm not 100% convinced Avery had nothing to do with the photographer's death (the show omits some important info, death threats he makes against ex-wives and some other stuff), but fuck me that whole court case and evidence gathering was a complete and utter joke. Twice I had to pause it and google to make double sure this wasn't a blair witch project kind of thing. Knowing it isn't just made it worse.

Definitely check it out. Every ep will have you at least twice asking what the fuck when it comes to how the police (mis)handle the cases. The key, the bullet, the blood.... :dev: The stuff with the nephew is especially sickening.
Seraphic
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:12 pm

Kratz to me was the worst- there's a prime example of someone (as the lawyers also said) aiming for a conviction, to hell with the truth. I suspect if you asked him and he told you truly, that he wouldn't be sure who did it and would have even had his own doubts. Then again his true character was revealed with the sexting incidents after the fact.

Also that Judge - tell me he hadnt made up his decision prior to the trial even taking place. Biased as.

The single biggest problem with this whole incident was there was no plausible other explanation. Even if it was planted evidence, there was still zero information to incriminate anyone else. Someone other than Steven doing it (ignoring what evidence was raised/not raised) is just so far fetched - but seriously, WTF is the reality?!
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:04 am

Dassey conviction overturned in Teresa Halbach murder.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2016 ... /88632502/
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:25 am

oh nice
poor kid :/
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:18 am

It really makes you wonder this show. What about Steven? The evidence against him seemed dodgy as hell - i genuinely believed him innocent but then, what if he did somehow do it? Where is the body? Ah it's all too much.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:12 pm

It really makes you wonder this show. What about Steven? The evidence against him seemed dodgy as hell - i genuinely believed him innocent but then, what if he did somehow do it? Where is the body? Ah it's all too much.
honestly on the fence about Steven, if i was on the jury and the case was presented as it was on netflix then I probably would said innocent just because the police and prosecutor fucked up so much.

The kid got screwed over royally though.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:54 pm

The kid got screwed over royally though.
It amazed me how all the way through the kid's trial they never talked about him basically being mentally challenged - how he was clearly slow and susceptible to saying anything. It really was a bizarre show.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:20 pm

dose
unsettled

[ignore]