bittah.com!~ Transformers - Canceraids in my eye - Page 4

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now

Midair

Playing now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:37 pm

"new decepticons", and interesting spaceship design, Optimus! Here, fly off with your nuke and go bomb your creators. Also, it was a question rather than inference, left deliberately vague in the film.

If you see black and white, who is white? If you say Optimus and the Autobots, you're wrong. If you say Cade, you're wrong.

Bay-isms were plenty present in the first half of the film. Plenty of his dick on camera there. A lot of the imagery in the first half of this movie was super-fucking-Bay, from the corn fields, the sunsets, "everyman" Cade Yeager. You can trace this imagery and cinematographic composition all the way back to Affleck's final love scene with Tyler in Armageddon, where he's got the biscuit and he's slipping it into her clunge, or shit, even Bad Boys with the sun, the car, and the lamp posts substituting trees / signs. Tons of the camera movement was very Bay-ish, especially his use of three different directions of movement. Camera moves one way, actor moves another, something in the background moves a third way. He does this, and he's so good at it, and it makes his films feel enormous.

So not sure why you think they hired a different director for the second half, which just takes it up a notch. But all of his same hallmarks are there, from the opening shot to the closing one.

edit:

Yeah, pretty much as Bay as it gets. His dick is all over this shot.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:49 pm

Not really talking about cinematography, just that the first half of the movie had a lot of interesting things happen and the second half of the movie was nothing but extended action sequences.

Optimus and the autobots
Spoiler: Show
have never done anything remotely wrong or even morally grey in the entirety of the four movies.
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:34 pm

This movie has interesting things happen, but I'm not talking about cinematography, but fuck this director!
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Even the story was Bay as hell in the first hour of the film. We're shown fake everyman Cade Yeager who pretends to be a farmer but secretly wants to be Steve Jobs. He's got this facade of hyper-masculinity, but we see right down to his own insecurity. This is your basic Bay deconstruction of the American Alpha Male Hero. We see this shit in every single Bay movie, more prominently as he has gotten older. But going back all the way to Bad Boys 1 you see it.

So even, on a character-level, it's still Bay as fuck.

I cant' be bothered to go through it all again, but in TF3 you've got a pretty clear "morally grey" act from the Autobots when they fake their own deaths and let Chicago be invaded to prove a point. It's passive aggressive and real bitchy, and ends up in the off-screen deaths of, according to TF4, at least thousands.

In TF2 you've got Optimus literally slicing the face in half of a refugee, or POW. The decepticon he executes is in hiding, and poses no threat when he's killed. Why not simply arrest him and take him in? What if humans did what Optimus did?

You've also got fantastic imagery (is it TF2 or TF3, I can't remember) of the Autobots rolling out into some middle eastern village and blowing it to shit. Fuck those Ay-rabs. Of course, we're not told or shown why. We just accept it. We don't even question it. I mean, some of them might have guns. But so do tons of people in the States! Even automatic assault rifles like the semi-auto M16 (AKA AR15) are common household weapons in Texas, for example!

Then you've got the fact that Optimus outright lies to Sam (and the audience by proxy) when he recounts his his history of Cybertron and what forced him off. His story changes from movie to movie. Thanks buddy, for telling me a bunch of bullshit last time, but don't worry, you're still my hero! Oh, and let's not forget that he changes his story to the benefit of his (apparent) goals.

The oppositional reading that Optimus is, at best, an anti-hero is popular for a reason. You'll find a fair few film critics, if you care what they say, agreeing with it.

I'm not just spewing bullshit here. When viewed critically, in and of itself, Transformers is quite ambiguous to say the least. I mean, Optimus bursts onto the screen in TF4: Marky Mark in Hong Kong saying "I'll kill you!". He spends the rest of the film acting out vengeful desires. Like, even Batman doesn't do that, and he's fucking batshit guffaw.

I mean, at minimum, there is enough evidence supporting the oppositional reading (Optimus isn't good) as the preferred reading (Optimus is good). That's unusual.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:55 pm

Watched this on a super small screen on the plane. Thought the human side of things was not as bad as the other three but still mbs typical lameness. The blonde didn't need to be in it at all, and the scientist guy just became increasingly comic relief like the previous movies similar chars.

Fairly novelty seeing hk in the movie as that's where I was going, glad they at least kept it smoggy.

Thought the transformers themselves were easier to identify this time round. Slightly more focus on them. Still have no idea who the green guy with the long cloak was though. I wish they'd just drop the bumblebee cabt talk bs though. He'll just drop bumblebee.

The dinobots were completely pointless. Also loved how often they got toppled or whatnot and didn't transform to evade etc. Then again their cartoon counterparts often didn't either. There was a scene in I think the first movie where starscream transformed from jet to Robot to evade midair then back also which was awesome but you rarely see that. I guess that's about the most demanding type of animation.

Overall didn't hate it but also didn't like it. Was what I expected, aka a letdown for anyone who loved transformers when they were younger.

The problem with these movies is they simply don't get the heart and soul of what made these chars so fun and playful. I reckon I could write a better transformers movie than bay
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:55 pm

This stop motion Transformers movie is better than the Bay movies ffs
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:01 pm

Better than Bayformers

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y98ZK_ ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:16 pm

Transformers: The Last Knight

Yonic Megatron looking knightly.

Seems the Transformers change the way they look between every movie, too.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:40 pm

Monk
bittah

[ignore]