bittah.com!~ Money King 2013 / Journey to the West - Stephen Chow - Page 3

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:13 pm

Not to mention that whole trailer showed something that has pretty much no relevance to the 47 ronin other than the number... Oh well, looks like an alright movie.
Scorch
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Did you see that quick flash of them all sitting there in white though? As if preparing to hara-kiri - i really cant see that happening in an american popcorn flick. I bet Keanu then saves them/stops them/prevents them from going through with it - which would be retarded. I really really cant see an american movie having them harakiri in the end.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:26 pm

WTF DJ SPOILER TAGS OMFG RUINED THE MOVIE FOR ME >_<

/HARAKIRI
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Money King 2013 / Journey to the West - Stephen Chow

lol Keanu Reeves. I didn't realise he was still "acting"
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:58 pm

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/01/new-trail ... fects.html

Hopefully this new trailer will get me back in DJ's good books after my blasphemous lotr/hobbit comments.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:09 am

Aha each to their own, it's no skin off my nose if you didn't like lotr as much as i did. I admit massive bias there.

This movie looks pretty awesome - but i hope it's not solely based in Heaven. Has anyone read the translated book Monkey? The heaven elements were a pisser - where Monkey gets super arrogant and fights all the gods etc. Like the way he strong arms his magic staff off the water dragon.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:13 pm

@ Una Bongo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjcT_a1y1Yw[/youtube]

*edit - Sorry i forgot to add, I have a raging boner the size of his staff.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:10 pm

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/01/review-th ... -king.html

Here's the first review I could find for it, and funnily enough most of his criticism's were basically exactly what I would have expected.

In particular, things like:
but Wukong himself is a somewhat irritating character who can be difficult to sympathise with.
While the script sets up rivalries between various deities and demons, and a number of potential romances, much of the film hangs on spectacular duels between all-powerful adversaries
Again - that's about what I would expect from this movie. It actually sounds like it's very close to the original. If anyone has read the translation which I highly reccomend (http://www.amazon.com/Monkey-Classics-W ... nkey+wu+ch)

It's a crazy story - very mythological in nature, and all over the place. But the beginning is effectively Monkey growing from the magic egg, gaining his powers, and then falling prey to his own nature and becoming super arrogant and crazy, running completely amok in heaven until he's imprisoned by the buddha beneath a mountain.

One part of this is him going down into the sea to strongarm/demand the water spirit/dragon give him some exquisite armour and his staff - his famous monkey staff. It's all basically action and crazyness beneath the tag line ' the nature of monkey is irrepressible". Later in the book is where he meets up with the fish and pig spirits and goes on a quest with Tripitaka etc.

But yeah - this movie actually sounds like a pretty faithful rendition of what the book essentially is, and if that is the case, I absolutely cant wait to see it, but you can almost be guaranteed western audiences (aka americans) will hate it. I don't mind if the cg quality is average either, as having watched most of the long running Journey to the West Chinese series from 2008 - which is dinky to the max - but also incredibly awesome, and this will only be better/more epic.

Of course I reserve the right to change all of the above once i actually see it
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:13 am

I saw this on the weekend incidentally – I went solo Monkey to escape the heat.

It wasn’t bad, I enjoyed it, but it was definitely one of the worse versions of the story I’ve seen. The review linked above is pretty accurate. There were things that really worked, and things about Sun Wukong which were conveyed well, but the greater story was really lacking. The subtitles were also pretty terrible as well – with typos in them no less!
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:03 am

*bump*
"That CG monkey ... is flawless!" :lol:
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:19 am

Cant wait for this - hoping it's as good as the first which was a pisser. Different director though, Tsui Hark of martial arts action fame - not sure how he'll handle the comedy aspect. Stephen Chow's own comedies have been hit or miss lately - the first Journey to the West was a pisser, the more recent Mermaid was pretty shit.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:47 pm

he's definitely waning. haven't seen the mermaid yet but it seems to have done quite well over there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... s_in_China
trailer 2 (switch captions on)
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Yeah dont worry about Mermaid it's completely not worth it. Had only one or two chuckle moments, a lame romance, lame plot, lame effects etc etc.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:26 pm

ah, looks fucking bonkers
can't wait!
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:06 pm

ah, looks fucking bonkers
can't wait!
Very similar storyline to Monkey King 2 by the looks of it - ie Wukong steps in and kills a chick whose trying to screw with the monk as he recognises her to be a demon but the monk doesnt and instead punishes Wukong. Different Wukong actor than from the first one too.

Also - this trailer isnt showing any of the comedy elements, just like with the Mermaid trailer - it had one that was very much action/drama/romance based, and another that was heavy on the comedy - though the actual movie wasnt that funny. The first Journey to the West was brilliant though, piss funny. Must be time for a re-watch actually.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Watched this and really enjoyed it. It was a bit hard to get into at bits and some of the effects bordered on a medium quality video game - but really enjoyed it. The thing i liked about it was how much it reminded me of the actual Journey to the West book - the original story by Wu Cheng'en of which i read a translation. The book has the story of Wukong growing up, becoming super powerful then causing havoc in heaven. But also tracks the journey west to india which is what this movie covers.

The journey is basically a series of adventures in various locations as they fight demons in human disguise. The movie had several of these, and i have a feeling one of them was from the book but its been some time since i read it. But it also explored Wukong's often uncontrollable nature, even when controlled by the headband. I wasnt sure about the movie at the first and thought the new Monk was a bit goofy (the cast is different from the first movie)- but ultimately enjoyed it. It had a good sense of humour through it but it wasnt as funny as the first one which i think was a more solid movie and a pisser.

Makes me want to watch Monkey King 2 again now - where Wukong himself was more kickass IMo
Deepjay

[ignore]