bittah.com!~ Vikings - Page 5

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 am

What do you mean the events were a bit backwards? In what way?
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:22 pm

in their first paris raid the vikings smashed the army, occupied the town and were eventually paid to leave. in the show it was the other way round but it's sort of a mashup of all the raids the vikings did in one go. ragnar returned many times to collect more payments but it wasn't till their last raid that they were unable to breach the walls.

minor spoilz:
Spoiler: Show
there are accounts of what happens after the finale of this season. rest assured he doesn't succumb to any illness.
man i've always liked history, especially the vikings part because vikings are cool. i went to school in england for a few years as a kid and its sad to hear mine are only being taught australian history. sure it's relevant i guess but it's so fkn boring and uneventful. england arrived, killed some unevolved natives (as you do) and here we are.
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:41 pm

Oh ok you mean from a historical point of view. Well I dont think it's following history to the letter - it likely couldnt and still be watchable. Kattegut or wahtever its called, Ragnar's hometown, i believe that's the name of a sea, not an actual location. Ragnar's name is likewise different to the IRL Ragnar, the Lothbrook or what not.

And can you think of the logisitcs and screentime needed to show all those numerous raids to Paris? Given how much of an effort is involved with showing just one, it really wouldnt be feasible. That and the fact the show doesnt really show time passing in the show itself, it tends to be current and then suddenly in the future, never really 'battle montages' :) etc

I tell you one thing though...at the end of epsiode 10, where it says, "You will not believe what the gods have in store for you in season 4..." shows a scene and then COMING SOON! - then returns in 2016!!! Soon my ass!!!!

I spent some time in the museum in Copenhagen, hoping to see a lot of the viking history. It was mostly concerned with the much older period though, where they really were heathens and sacrificing a lot of things into bogs- mostly things weapons, tools, coins etc - but later on people too. But it had very little about this particular viking period, only really skipping forward until they were really established, trading towns etc. Was a bit disappointed by that, but it was cool nonetheless. Some great standing stones in there with the runes carved into them.

*edit - actually one thing i found really interesting in Denmark - the town of Helsingor - across a small bay from the Swedish town of Helsingborg. Helsingor on the Danish side was a truly evolved fishing village, whereas the Swedish town across the water was like stepping into medieval europe, this huge castle looking down a row of medieval buildings, completely defensible approaches etc. Reading the history of these two towns on the plaques around the place was awesome - how like 500 men raided from the Danish side and took it, but were grudgingly told to hand it back to the Swedes as part of a treaty. Whoever controlled that Swedish side basically controlled the water trading all the way into Sweden and beyond. Naturally the Danes took it back anyway. Can only image what it'd be like to see these big groups of axe wielding men raiding back and forth across this narrow bay.

In Australia, football was invented. Then barbeques, then drinking.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:59 pm

I tried watching the first episode a while ago, got bored and turned it off. Maybe I should give it another shot. If you like shit about vikings, I would recommend Valhalla Rising.
Gave it another go and I'm enjoying it quite a lot (almost finished the first season). Asshole.
dumbo
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:07 pm

I initially didnt like it, but season 2 was mad, season 3 even better IMO.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Fucking pumped for this! Screw GoT, I want my Vikings now
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Damn that looks amazing.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:48 am

BTW you guys who enjoy Vikings might not be aware this is now on TV in the USA, an 8 part series called The Last Kingdom - based on Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series of books:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4179452/
The Last Kingdom is an adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Stories. The books follow Uhtred of Bebbanburg from a boy taken from his birthright and raised by Vikings, later fighting for King Alfred the Great and his son Edward. Shield walls, blood, revenge and the forging of many Kingdoms into one nation, a dream of Alfred's called England.
There's 2 episodes downloadable so far. I've watched the first and it was great, very different feel from the other Vikings tv show. But the vikings are big and badass - remind me of the Danes in Total War Attila - particularly their armour in battle.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:09 pm

Season 3 isn't on netflix.

Sigh.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:52 pm

BTW you guys who enjoy Vikings might not be aware this is now on TV in the USA, an 8 part series called The Last Kingdom - based on Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series of books:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4179452/
The Last Kingdom is an adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Stories. The books follow Uhtred of Bebbanburg from a boy taken from his birthright and raised by Vikings, later fighting for King Alfred the Great and his son Edward. Shield walls, blood, revenge and the forging of many Kingdoms into one nation, a dream of Alfred's called England.
There's 2 episodes downloadable so far. I've watched the first and it was great, very different feel from the other Vikings tv show. But the vikings are big and badass - remind me of the Danes in Total War Attila - particularly their armour in battle.
Watched the first two episodes upon your recommendation, watched them again the next night. Really liked the general feel of the show, looking forward to more.
Bash
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:58 am

There is a Nordic festival on in Warburton (VIC) this weekend for anyone wanting some IRL viking action.
http://www.nordicfestival.org/
Duff5000
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:50 pm

I just finished book 9 because I'm a Bernard Cornwall tragic. Uhtred is a fantastic character and even though the books cut out a ton of detail, the TV version holds up really well, much better than the early Sharpe TV versions of the books.
Setanta
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:23 pm

I just finished book 9 because I'm a Bernard Cornwall tragic. Uhtred is a fantastic character and even though the books cut out a ton of detail, the TV version holds up really well, much better than the early Sharpe TV versions of the books.
Yeah I've had a friend at me for ages to read BC's books. I'll get there eventually, I love a good historical fiction.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:31 pm

new season out today.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:50 pm

Omg i thought it was next week
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:13 am

Finished episode 10 and enjoyed season 4- only to realise that this season is actually 20 episodes rather than the usual 10 and this was only the mid-season finale. The series will return in US Autumn *fistpump*
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:11 am

best show around imo

usa autumn = 4th quarter
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:22 am

I'll take 4th quarter over February 2017 though which has been the usual! Also pumped to hear another 20 episodes ordered for 2017. Hoping the show maintains a tight storyline unlike GoT which has kind of lost the plot IMO. There were some oddities in this though, like Harbard or however you spell it, and Floki's visions of Queen whatsherface. I like the mystical side of the show though.
Deepjay

[ignore]