bittah.com!~ Vikings

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Vikings

Anyone else watching this since spartacus ended?
Filmed in Ireland, Vikings is inspired by the tales about the Viking Ragnar Lodbrok, one of the best-known Norse heroes and notorious as the scourge of France and Britain. It portrays Ragnar as a Viking farmer who pioneers the first daring raids into Britain with the support of fellow warriors, his brother, and his wife, the shieldmaiden Lagertha.
Liking it so far, doesnt have the same slowmo leaping slashing gore fest fight scenes like spartacus, seem to be more realistic fight/gore
jazzymcsleazy
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:29 pm

This show is actually a documentary though acted out like fiction. I believe it's all historically accurate
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:42 am

With a shitload of artistic license of course, granted that the historical record is pretty damn patchy as most of it comes from the Christian Communities raided as well as the tales the Vikings told about Ragnar and they never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

It's very watchable, just don't read Ragnars Wikipedia page.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 am

Yeah but that's the best way sometimes to watch history documentaries. There was a series - i forget the name, conquerers or something, where each retold the story (or part of) a bunch of different historical notables – including Ghengis Khan, Napoleon, Cortez, hmm I forget the others – Oh Spartacus, and a few others. And yeah while the acting wasn’t amazing, and they weren’t super high budget, they were pretty damned interesting and enjoyable.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 am

Re: Vikings

Sounds interdasting - thanks, I'll check it out

P.S. I'm assuming its also missing the orgy action of Spartacus :(
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15 am

Well, Ragnar was shagging his wife and ask if the Christian Monk he took as a slave wanted to join in.

No gratuitous nudity though.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:38 am

Actually this is the series i was thinking about, heroes and villains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_and ... _series%29

* 2.1 "Napoleon"
* 2.2 "Attila the Hun"
* 2.3 "Spartacus"
* 2.4 "Cortes"
* 2.5 "Richard the Lionheart"
* 2.6 "Shogun"

I havent watched Vikings yet, but mean to, but if you guys like historical doco's filmed like fiction, i reccomend the above too.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Yeah I'm liking vikings so far and a + 1 for it being historically accurate.
Actually this is the series i was thinking about, heroes and villains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_and ... _series%29

* 2.1 "Napoleon"
* 2.2 "Attila the Hun"
* 2.3 "Spartacus"
* 2.4 "Cortes"
* 2.5 "Richard the Lionheart"
* 2.6 "Shogun"
Thanks gonna check this out over the weekend.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:34 pm

the richard the lionheart one is awesome

considering his popularity in england its interesting that he basically fuked up totally in the mid east and spoke french
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Vikings

The English Court only really dropped French & started speaking English a few hundred years later (turning point was 100yrs War with Edward's claim on the French throne iirc). Prior to that it was an essentially Norman line (and is now essentially German).
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Speaking of the French, the latest episode made note of the Frankish kingdoms as the next raiding target... historically Ragnar sailed with over 120 ships and hit Paris, hard.

That is going to blow out the budget.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:57 pm

There was also a great documentary about Marc Antony - was made by the french, and had re-enactments/computer graphics of the big fleets etc. The thing i like about these doco's is they're not only very interesting, but because they film them like fiction they can be enjoyable too. The napoleon one i listed above as an example, shows a younger napoleon, and how he sort of rose through the ranks with these risky cannon defence moves he was behind defending some bay from English ships. Really cool stuff. Didnt go into his latter years - just a snapshot of how he sort of started to rise.

If anyone else knows of any other good documentaries filmed like this, feel free to link em.

And re Lionheart - yeah ns WW - that was all new to me also. There was a 3-part series on the Crusades recently simply called The Crusades, and it was very interesting. No re-enactments, was more your typical doco, but very interesting nonetheless. The second episode focused on Richard the Lionheart vs Saladin.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Studying the Crusades in Year 8 history is what instilled my love of history to this day. Probably the single greatest event that shaped Western Civilization, other than the collapse of Rome a thousand years earlier. I saw that series too (as I never miss something on the Crusades) DJ and it was pretty good.
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:08 pm

Downloaded and watched all of these (except for last night's - grabbing now) over the weekend, and I have to say I quite enjoyed the adventures of Ragnar Cokblok, even if the claims of it being "historical" probably only extend as far as the fact he existed, and was a Viking.

Good find +1
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm

Ive watched two episodes of it so far and yeah I wonder how accurate it is. When the vikings were roaming around, Europe was a lot more primitive/older than it seems in the show.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Yeah I felt the Vikings were represented ok, but when they got to England they looked far too advanced in terms of weapons/armour etc.
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:17 pm

When I was in Copenhagen, i spent quite a bit of time in the museum reading about the Vikings as I find them immensely interesting - not just the go in rape/pillage/plunder side of them, but the sheer fact they colonized so much of the northern world and had such a huge influence. I don't know a hell of a lot, but when they were sailing around, the world did seem a lot more primative than what the show depicts.

I found the pre-viking stuff interesting too - how they'd sacrifice vast quantities of weapons and items into the bogs etc.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Well it was the Dark Ages, but when you think about the peak of civilization before that in the Roman Empire only 400-500yrs earlier, it gives you some frame of reference for how "civilized" they should have been.

Fun fact: The Danish Royal family (which by European standards was rather modest royal house, in terms of wealth/influence/land etc up till that point) is married into pretty much every major Royal family in Europe, thanks to King Christian IX, "The Father-In-Law of Europe" who managed to get his many children strategically hitched to all the other royal houses. Many of the current crowns are descended from him, including England, Spain, Belgium, Norway and Luxembourg (as well as the deposed Greek monarchy).
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Vikings as I find them immensely interesting - not just the go in rape/pillage/plunder side of them, but the sheer fact they colonized so much of the northern world and had such a huge influence. I don't know a hell of a lot, but when they were sailing around, the world did seem a lot more primative than what the show depicts.
being from a danish family originally i researched the vikings alot

they were far more long reaching than people think

russia is essentially named after the rus, swedish vikings who founded kiev

the varangian guard was a viking elite force that guarded the kings of constantinople

normandy was a viking settlement, and at some points danish vikings actually occupied the english throne

they also discovered north america long before anyone else but didnt stay long

the show has them in chainmail though which they very rarely used until very late in the viking age, its not very accurate at all but at least it doesnt have horned helms!
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Thu May 02, 2013 9:41 am

just finished ep 9, good show
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]