bittah.com!~ Horus Heresy - warhammer 40k books - Page 6

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now

Midair

Playing now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:07 am

Yeah Fear to Tread was bloody awesome, but so was Know no Fear 2 books before it.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:41 am

is that the one set on calth?

the scenes with lorgar and roboute were awesome

i especially liked roboute punching the dudes head clean off
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Yeah Calth.

Hmm dont think ive seen Guilliman punch anyones head off yet!!

ps. How's this? http://www.blacklibrary.com/Blog/a-horu ... ement.html A 90 page graphical novel, follows on from Know no Fear.

BUT - before you get excited like i was, will be about $150 ffs!
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:51 am

Finished Shadows of Treachery and it was a really good collection of short stories/novellas. I found myself particularly enjoying the stories featuring Konrad Curze of the Night Lords. Previously, I knew nothing about him or his legion. Was 2-3 really stand out stories in this collection.

Also finished the next novel, Angel Exterminatus, focused primarily on the Emperor’s Children and the Iron Warriors.

It was enjoyable, but I don’t think this one was particularly well written. Have not been a big fan of Graham McNeil’s writing style – or rather, it’s not as good as some of the other authors.

In particular, it seemed like there were too many plots running through this, that either resolved as if they were rushed, or didn’t really resolve at all. Far too many threads covering the lesser characters – particularly the three triarchs of the Iron Warriors, which just ended with no explanation, clearly to be followed up by another book at another stage.

Found Perturabo as a character really quite interesting, and it was also good to read about one of the traitor legions who rebelled for reasons other than being corrupted by chaos (but by the way this ended, I’m pretty sure that’s where they’re heading anyway) – well I know what happens to Perturabo too.
Disliked the way Fulgrim was written – was completely all over the shop, whereas in the original book Fulgrim, he was pretty badass in his decline into what felt like insanity.

Next book I’m taking a step away from the HH and reading a Space Hulk themed book called Death of Integrity which is present day 40k and sounds good.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 am

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:27 am

The Unremembered Empire (The Horus Heresy) by Dan Abnett (Feb 18, 2014)

wouldn't mind getting back into these after first three HH, especially if dan abnett writes them, but from what i gather the series breaks into a whole bunch of arcs and it's not really possible to skip them and just follow the main horus/emperor arc without being utterly confused. is that a fair assessment dj?
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:33 am

Yeah pretty much. There’s a few key events, and a few key campaigns, and several books go into covering these, while they’re also covered by a lot of the short stories/novellas as part of the collections.

The thing is – if it just came down to Horus heading straight to Terra from Istvaan where the massacre took place – he’d confront the Emperor and bam, it’s done! It’d be a pretty bloody unsatisfying conclusion.

While some are better than others, it’s definitely not a line of books made up of filler though. They all have their moments, and they all cover different elements. If anything, the HH is the setting (ie the impending show-down between Horus and the Emperor), and the plot-line itself is long and twisty, rather than just a straight and narrow rush to the finale.

There were one or two earlier into the series that I didn’t enjoy as much, but on the whole these books are superb and very easy to recommend to anyone interested in 40k.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:12 pm

This looks horrible, but sadly i'll probably buy it

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/h0ec ... ut-trailer
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:14 am

There's a new post-heresy series that's just been announced, keen to get stuck into it:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/the-beast-arises.html

I'll admit that i've burned out on the Horus Heresy itself though. Am mid-way through the 25 book - the short story/novella colllection The Mark of Calth and just a bit sick of the Calth theatre. Only read these books every now and then when I'm in the mood for some 30k action.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:04 pm

So I've read the first eight books, finished Battle for the Abyss last night and loved it. Next up is Mechanicum but godamm, Abyss literally leaves you on the doorstep of an impending battle about to unfold and I don't give two shits about the Mechanicum right now. Is it possible to skip ahead/around and get back to no doubt awesome space navy and warp-fuckery? Is there a reading order guide or something out there for following such threads?

I mean, I'm looking here:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Horus_Heresy_Series
and trying not to spoil myself too much, it doesn't look like the story gets back to Ultramarines v Word Bearers for another 10 books. Am I good to skip that many books and not be lost, or will I miss some key background info hidden amongst other books in the series? (First Heretic comes to mind, since is about the fall of Lorgar and his chapter)
Seraphic
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:21 pm

You can literally skip half the series and not miss hardly anything. It sluggishly moves from one theatre to the next - im in the latter part of the Ultramarines and Word Bearers conflict at Calth and i'm over it. Read the first story or two from Mark of Calth and am just zzzzz.

You'll find a whole bunch of books will be on the same theatre - such as the Istvann massacre, then will jump back in time leading up to that event, show that event from a particular chapters eyes then will repeat in the next book. In saying that, there's some crackers along the way that are different. Personally I really dug Mechanicum, but a mate of mine didnt. I loved all the Mars elements, it was so different.

There's a lot of good books in the series, but by the stage i'm at i'm feeling a bit burned out. I found a link recently which put the entire collection into order - as there's a lot of stand alones, novellas and short stories that have come out that dont neccessarily fit into this. I havent got the link but i'm sure you could find it.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Here is that link: http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heres ... order.html

Check how many books there are... :shock:
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Yeah so far the only two books I really haven't enjoyed as much as the rest are Descent of Angels and Legion.
Both of those books I feel as though I could have safely skipped and come back to.

Cheers for the link. I googled 'Horus heresy reading order' first thing thismorning and got the lexicanum link and million amazon/reddit links. I click your link and googled again, wondering how the fuck something so straightforward wasnt found first go and now its showing dozens of black library links above all else. wtf google.
Seraphic
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:13 pm

Yeah i couldnt find it on Black Library just then either, i remembered i pm'd it to a mate -but even that link had disappeared. Then found that link which was from Reddit. Could NOT find it on Black Library's own site though.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:15 pm

The Horus Heresy books are up on the humble bundle, a pretty bloody good deal that $15 pack

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/horu ... unce_Boost
Deepjay

[ignore]