bittah.com!~ Nikon D90

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:30 am

Nikon D90

Hey I was recently given a Nikon D90 - which is also my first digital SLR.

Does anyone have one of these by any chance and if so can you offer any advice on using it beyond just in automatic? I'm slowly working my way through the manual but it's freakin massive, and a lot to take in. I'm not really up with photographic skills despite having worked in a lab for 6 years back in the day and having both parents as professional photographers also back in the day.

Any tips or what not would be appreciated.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:43 pm

you have 4 modes: M, P, A, and S

stick it on A, which is aperture priority, move the front dial around and enjoy the different levels of blurring in the background.

dont go below 1/60 unless your using a tripod
GoZFisH

[ignore]

Post » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:09 am

Are those multiple levels of focus in the background visible through the viewfinder, or only in the finished shot?

1/60 means what?
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:58 am

Finished shot. Basically the lower the number (the one that is like 3.5, 4, 4.5 all the way up to 20 odd determines a few things but generally the point of focus. The lower the number, the more blurry the background will be when you are focusing on something close and the background is far away. This is not just specifically what it used for but this effects the depth of field.

the 1/60 refers to the time it takes to take the photo. 1/60th of a second, 1/100th of a second, 1/10 of a second. the S setting will give you shutter speed or the time it takes to take the photo.

This is good for taking a photo of a waterfall where you want the water to have that like blurred effect. Basically anything where you want to convey a sense of movement, the closer it is to the whole second or beyond the blurrer it will be generally. But this is also good for taking night time photos where you want to see like the trail of a cars head lights.
hawk
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:59 pm

an slr has a number of base controls:
A - aperture - size of the hole the light passes through to the sensor
S - shutter speed - how long light is allowed to hit the sensor for
ISO - sensitivity of the sensor
light meter pattern - algorithm your camera uses to calculate the A and S settings based on the amount of light your camera sees

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_dial#Modes

In "A" mode you set the aperture and the ISO and the meter pattern and the camera works out the S (shutter speed) to take a nicely exposed picture.

Generally you would have your light meter pattern set to average across the whole scene and ignore it :)

ISO you generally want as small as you can to avoid noise in your images but you will need to bump it higher in low light conditions if you are not using a tripod or if your subject is moving fast
Mereel
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:57 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

I remember when i worked in the lab actually (been years - am rusty as) the 35mm film variants - standard was like 100 or 200, 400 for sort of action or night shots, 800 / 1000 and i think from memory up to 3200 for sort of people with photographic knowledge after a certain result.

So setting the ISO is just the equiv of selecting the right film for the job eh? where the higher the grainier etc.

Have never really been much of a photographic enthuiast beyond enjoying taking good shots, but not actually venturing beyond automatic territory. I'm kicking myself for not having invested in a better camera when i was living in China, as while in the 5000+ photos we took we have some amazing stuff, it could have been so much better - particularly anything at night, such as Shanghai, certain Suzhou gardens at night etc.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:28 pm

So setting the ISO is just the equiv of selecting the right film for the job eh? where the higher the grainier etc.
Exactamundo.

Best thing you can learn straight away is the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and depth of field. Some people really want to go nuts and learn all about the technical nitty gritty of how the depth of field is worked out by the camera, how and where it will be metering it's light from and all that stuff, and if you want to be a serious pro you probably have to, but just for a start if you can work out the A (aperture) and S (shutter speed) modes you'll be pretty well covered.
Chickenboo
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:16 am

Who's that dude!
Stan
Handsomest
Handsomest

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:19 am

mmm thanks for that info - appreciated.

It's a sweet camera, very happy with what it's putting out so far, but man when i switch to A or S etc, i have no idea wtf im doing.

One thing im not sure of - is there a way to get the settings back to whatever is deemed standard, or zero etc.

Reason being, i switched onto either A or S on the weekend, and it was doing like some mega exposure setting, it'd open then just stay perma open, like i've put it onto some setting and now have nfi what those settings are set to.

I think im going to have to spend some more quality time with the manual - a place i rarely go :/
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:17 pm

On the A setting you change your aperture and the camera works out the shutter speed. A small "f" number means a large hole and should give a fast shutter speed. A large "f" number means a small hole and the shutter needs to stay open longer to let enough light in.

On S you control the shutter speed and the camera works out how big the hole needs to be to get a good exposure. As said before, for hand holding you want the shutter speed to be faster than 1/60th of a second.

You could upload some pics and people will be able to look at the settings you used and give some tips :) Sites like flickr will show the settings without everyone needing to d/l a 5mb file :)
Mereel
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:00 pm

you can control the shutter speed and aperture with the dials on the front and back right hand side of your camera. I'm pretty sure the default is the front one controls aperture. Id say that its just jumping to compensate fro waht ever setting you put it on. try remembering this: if its on A the front dial is the only one to worry about, if its on S then its the back dial. get the light meter in the view finder into the middle by moving the appropriate dial.

if you have messed with a setting then there is a reset button in the menu. my guess is its in the menu with the little spanner.
GoZFisH

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 16, 2012 5:26 pm

did i need one?
Rechard
user

[ignore]

Post » Wed May 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Iscariot

[ignore]