bittah.com!~ photos

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:22 pm

photos

hey i've put up some photos from my africa trip on deviantart.
(i chose deviantart because after looking around it seemed the best free service I could find, so I resurrected my old account)

you can see them here.

photos from the rest of my trip are coming soon.
Shakey-Lo
It's not Down Syndrome .... honest!

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:45 pm

amazing photos shakey, how you like the MKII it has incredible colours, I can't pick a favourite they're all very good
Jynx_
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:07 pm

yeah its sweet. great lens on it too. i am happy with the video mode as well, but I would say it is not the ideal video camera for something like a safari, it is more for controlled tripod situations ie. short films, or anything heavily cinematography-based. there is a firmware update coming that is rumoured to add more control.
but regardless i got some good footage and am currently editing it together (the codec is a bit of a pain). most of the time I was getting video. i LOVE that I can get photos and videos together so easily. a lot of the photos I got, there is corresponding video footage to go with the photo and the image quality is just as good.
yeah the colours are great as well, especially skies seem to look really impressive on it. a lot of the photos had their colours etc tweaked in camera raw though, and some were taken into photoshop itself but those ones are pretty obvious.
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:04 pm

The waterhole pano is nice. Would be good to see a humungo print of that..probably lots of detail to see at biggie sizes.

I like the treatment of the vintage elephant shots as well. The single B&W Zebra I like too..really pops.
Chickenboo
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:49 pm

if you click download on any of the pics you can get the full high res original.

the waterhole one has issues at full res... the birds have a colour fringe on them and theres a big section towards the lower left which is all blurred, I think the panorama software fucked it up but cbf fixing atm.

some bonus pics

^the moth on the lower right was your typical size moth
^ this was a good experience... it was pouring with rain and we all got out of the jeep to stand in the mud and check out the hippos. they were making a lot of noise and a lot of smell. just to the left of this picture is a huge section of the river that was completely covered with floating hippo shit. it was all flowing down river and collecting there.

two pics taken with random pocket camera

Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Thu May 28, 2009 4:14 am

put up a video here

canon today announced full control over aperture etc in video mode is coming next week in a firmware update, i am a happy camper :)
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Thu May 28, 2009 9:41 am

is there a reason why your vintage elephants shots have such a high iso setting?
and the waterhole pic reports a fucking small aperture
Mereel
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Thu May 28, 2009 10:09 am

High ISO isnt really going to give you any issues on a mk2 so it shouldnt matter. Probably a bit excessive but shouldnt hurt image quality much and saves having blurry elephants. If they were taken handheld/ on the back of somehting moving then high ISO would be handy.

I would guess the small aperture is so you get a large depth of field for the panorama. Otherwise could end up with not much in focus. I assume a tripod was used for this as the shutter is quite slow using ISO100.
Duff5000
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Thu May 28, 2009 4:53 pm

yes high iso was due to the fact that we were in a moving, very rickety jeep and I had to get a fast shutter speed. and the small aperture in the panorama was for long dof as duff says.
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Fri May 29, 2009 10:17 am

kk, just seemed like really fast shutter speed and really small aperture in the other :)

ps - I like the pics
Mereel
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:08 am

Geez some nice photos there. Only just realised this forum still existed.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:28 pm

I put up a full video of my africa trip a while ago but never got round to posting it here, its up at http://vimeo.com/groups/5dmk2/videos/5817016

I also put up a showreel if anyone wants to hire me :):):):):)
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:13 pm

lol your name is marcus round - are you fat? roundy
i'm not a photo faggot so i could care less. but i am interested in your trip as i'm thinking of hitting up teh africaz next year. where did you go/what company did you do the safari with/how long/did you get aids.
stingraylol
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:35 am

shit you guys i just realised i have a funny last name :( no im not fat

we booked the safari through peregrine adventures, the safari company was wildersun safari. both recommended.

also africa is awesome and anyone who doesnt go there is a fag.

heres the list i copy pasted from posting it elsewhere

Thursday 19 Feb (my 21st bday) flew from Perth->Dubai then Dubai->Nairobi (Kenya) then Nairobi->Kilimanjaro (Tanzania) then drove from Kilimanjaro to Arusha. Stayed the night in Arusha.

20 Feb drove to Lake Manyara to do our first bit of wildlife spotting. Stayed the night there.

21 Feb drove to the Serengeti, 3 full days of safari there including a night safari. Saw every type of wildlife you could hope for, including several leopards and a family of cheetahs.

24 Feb we safari'd our way to the Ngorongoro Crater, did two days of safari there and stayed there two nights. sweet hotel and the crater is very lush and green compared to the serengeti.

26 Feb drove all the way back to Kilimanjaro, flew Kilimanjaro->Nairobi, Nairobi->Dubai, Dubai->Paris, caught the train from Paris->Chamonix to commence a week of skiing. Then we had a week in southeast England, five days in London, and a few more days in Paris.

and yes i did get aids.
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:15 pm

awesome. did you meet anyone who was climbing/walking mt kilimanjaro? on my shit to do before i die list is to climb one of the big 5 summits. and you can basically walk up kj by all accounts even if you're a fat bastard whose mates called roundy.

was a week enough in africa? is there anything you would've liked to have done that you didn't have time to do?
stingraylol
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:40 pm

no didn't meet anyone that was doing kilimanjaro, we kinda just flew over it, landed at the nearby airport and then drove off into the serengeti, we didn't hang around much.

a week was enough for what we did which was solely wildlife spotting. any longer than that and the endless herds of zebra and wildebeest start to get monotonous as you hope for a glimpse of a leopard or rhino. (all the wildlife is still awesome++ though)

I would have liked to do more non-wildlife stuff like check out the cities like Arusha. we were in quite a self-contained tourist 'package' and it might have been nice to get off the beaten track and go amongst the locals, that was something I knew I wanted to do more of before we went. having said that its a bit scary as your white skin is basically a big neon sign saying HAY RICH FOREIGNER OVER HERE so lots of people offering their help.. in return for money of course, or selling you their little tourist gimmicks. having a local tour guide with us for the whole week was probably a really good thing to have, to help us avoid too much of the locals preying on us defenseless rich white folk. the people are extremely friendly though, even when a bit uncomfortable in the cities I never really felt threatened just a bit overwhelmed. im sure there is a dark side though, ive read a bit about tanzanian people doing some pretty bad stuff. but yeah the overall vibe of the people was very helpful, hospitality staff are extremely friendly, nice people, with just an underlying touch of cynicism and wariness amongst the everyday people, everyone always greets you with a friendly 'jambo!' and talk about hakuna matata. (it means no worries, for the rest of your days. it's a problem free philosophy.)
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:59 pm

there is a dark side though
no need to go racist

thc4insights. final q. was there many hotties on your tour group
stingraylol
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:06 pm

no, maybe it was just the particular type of trip we were doing or whatever, but most of the white people I saw were like.... grownups... married couples, middle aged etc... with the occasional honey mooning couple (usually from south africa). it was like, old folks and their kids, I rarely saw anyone my kind of age while I was in africa.

we were doing it really first class though, if you went on one of the el cheapo tours thered probably be more uni grad/gap year ppl etc
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:55 am

there's nothing first class about sulls
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:51 pm

Should've taken a close-up of the hippo imo. Can't see it very well from all the way back there.
deadpixel
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]