bittah.com!~ tribes ascend SDK - Page 3

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Tribes / General / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:23 pm

I feel like slowing down the game could be worthwhile. Would also add incentive for vehicles like the havoc.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:45 pm

especially slowing it down pre-grab

without ego this wouldnt be an issue but with ego and health regen u can just spam impulse jumps and go crazy fast, regen and ur full health at top speed...which relies on snipers and static shit u run into (super heavy, mines, force fields etc)

slow cappers entries down and u have more vechile usage, better role for HoF, better chasing and more innovative capping

fun times :mrgreen:
whitewhale
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:46 pm

Re: tribes ascend SDK

I feel like slowing down the game could be worthwhile. Would also add incentive for vehicles like the havoc.
Wouldn't that require better maps too? I think a complete reengineer is a bit much to expect
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:46 pm

^see why we cant have nice things

if u dont understand it , leave it to those who do :cry:

fail inbound
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:49 pm

if you alienate too much of the existing fan base you wont have enough players for this to be a worthwhile endeavour, even if the game ends up as a better product.
Nerf speed and cappers who have spent ages learning routes will prob be pissed (maybe I'm in the minority but I actually think that perhaps the original speed cap was a good idea).
Introduce naked spawn and anyone who is only used to the T:A style will prob rage.

I think at best you could remove a few of the 'niche' things like rock bouncing and have perks significantly reduced in effectiveness.. or remove them all and buff everyone in a less obvious way (slightly increased ammo pickup, slightly quicker weapon switch, etc)

Honestly I don't see what this is going to achieve. When T2 classic came along there was still a healthy number of people playing comp. T:A has a decent number playing pubs, and practically no comp... would enough return even if this was successful?

I like the idea of it continuing for:
A) Eliminating some bugs / optimisation
B) Minor balance fixes
C) Don't need to rely on hi-rez authentication server (although who will be policing the hackers when Hi-Rez aren't involved?)
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:00 pm

what on earth would be the point of that?

if its a better game people will play it....or not and there is no difference anyway

a few changes to minor balance is pointless and not even close to being worth the amount of work it will take
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:23 pm

You cant give people choices with these kind of things. If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the past few years (specifically in my job), is that if you give people options, they’ll um and ahh and piss around until the cows come home. If you set down 5 options, you’ll get 2 in here, 4 in there, none in there, one there etc.
If you offer one option, people will make themselves available / and or will accept it.

The problem with TA from the start was the complete and utter lack of competent decision makers. There’s been no solid dev team in control of the game. They’ve pissed about, plucked features from the various games, no real identity, a shithouse f2p model, promised to support it then promptly abandoned ship – and well, it’s just a complete fucking mess.

The only way any good game could come from something like an SDK would be a group of competent people getting together and creating it. No community input, no asking what Joe Bloggs wants as opposed to Richard Head. If you try and cater to the masses, you’re bound for TA version 2.0.

Shit like this doesn't need community input. It just needs a Triber at the helm, Tribers in the creative positions, people who understand what made Tribes Tribes. Not people who in reality have nfi what Tribes is, and are trying to put together an artistic representation of it. Had Hi-Rez actually known wtf Tribes was, we'd have been given a Tribes game. The TA engine DID have potential. The design of the game however was completely fucking fail.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:27 pm

DJ your forgetting bart played shifter!!!!
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:29 pm

TA's failures are not news. We all know this. I think the point here is purely to hypothesise how to get the game from where it is to where it should've been - not an action plan.
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:32 pm

:yellow_laugh:

Waste of time Heff...

And even if this SDK was released it would only get maybe 6 more people playing the game from here. Good luck to Lo-ReZ if they pull it off, but it's diminishing returns divided by infinity.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:33 pm

i can tell u that in about 10 minutes heff

its not very hard
It just needs a Triber at the helm, Tribers in the creative positions, people who understand what made Tribes Tribes. Not people who in reality have nfi what Tribes is
seriously the work has been done, t1 and t2c are the blueprints and there are loads of us who could do the design elements in our sleep at this point

little out of the loop KFC :greentoung:
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Yes, to be fair, I haven't really followed the thread or really care that much about T:A tbh.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Vets only know what makes tribe, tribe and they're the only ones who should be giving ideas for this. The ta scrubs need to fuck off into there hole and shutup. Ffs sick of ta scum thinking they know how tribe works FUCK
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:50 pm

especially slowing it down pre-grab

without ego this wouldnt be an issue but with ego and health regen u can just spam impulse jumps and go crazy fast, regen and ur full health at top speed...which relies on snipers and static **** u run into (super heavy, mines, force fields etc)

slow cappers entries down and u have more vechile usage, better role for HoF, better chasing and more innovative capping

fun times :mrgreen:
Just remove ego.
thesoph
user

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:51 pm

but if u dont remove the other stuff then all it means is capping is worse (eg slower but more health)

u still get pinged constantly on low health by snipers (health regen interrupt is worse than having to use ur health kit), still run into shit on the stand that is instagib crap

u simply have to think outside TA parameters

powerful disc jumps, health kits would be a massive start

best thing is there were actually 2 versions of the game previously that got it right!
Last edited by whitewhale on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:52 pm

if its a better game people will play it....or not and there is no difference anyway
people will play it, but I don't know if it's going to be enough to make a difference.
At best this could be a blueprint for people to show what they want to see in TA2...
best thing is there were actually 2 versions of the game previously that got it right
are you actually saying nice things about t2c? ;)
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:54 pm

:hacked:

tbh classic clearly got the balance with health, discjumps etc close enough...i played it not long ago and while i felt physically sick the speed vs health balance was fine (maybe not for shielded heavies though)
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:03 pm

This thread progressed a bit....I'll read it all at home but. ..
-make the gens more relevant (but not naked spawn style, as there's not enough players around to enforce the big number games this would entail)
Now, I'm not having a go here - but that quote is a pretty good indicator of why a t1/2 perspective is required. How to have naked spawn and base rape, while still being able to play with small numbers? Surely it would be easy to implement a minimum number for enabling base rape, as per previous iterations (read: actual tribes games)

And I reckon ww got it spot on - some people are so afraid that their opinions wouldn't be heard that they need to alienate t1/2 'vets' (I cringe every time I use that term) so this kinda stuff is usually doomed from the get go.
aristo-
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Why do you guys care so much about whose opinion is better compared to the topic at hand?
I just want to see heaps of different mods with different teams of players, I don't really want to put everything into 1 team of people.
Dodge
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Oh yeah, a threshold. Didn't think of that. Most of my generation are used to static game types, you see.

@KFC: the discussion might be a waste of time, but as I said in another thread - arguing about TA soothes the wound of TA.
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]