bittah.com!~ ISPs

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:00 am

ISPs

A well tread topic that I've never really kept on top of.

Moving to a new place and haven't had to organise an ISP in a long time.

Initial thoughts were iinet (who I've used previously with success) or perhaps TPG.

Brand new apartment, settlement in two weeks - planning on organising the internet now with vague hopes of it being ready to go by the time we move in.

Any thoughts/opinions?
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:27 am

Telstra and optus have better plans nowadays than they've had in the past, which is nice, but they still have a bit of a premium pricetag. Telstras connection is usually good, and optus connections are well known for suffering from local congestion problems.

Internode/iinet have always been crowd favourites, and it's well earned.

TPG have always been cheap, and I've heard it's because they don't guarantee 100% uptime. I don't know how true that is, but I usually don't hear tpg users complaining, so maybe it's fine.

That said: I don't know how it is in other cities, but I know that tpg, iinet and some others have fibre lines to some apartment buildings that you can get in on - maybe talk to someone that manages the apartments you're going to, they might have some useful info.
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:39 pm

doesnt TPG now own iinet? At any rate your first port of call is to see whats available to you, NBN/Cable/ADSL. I've been with TPG for 4 years at my current place and havent had any problems at all. At $60 a month and unlimited bandwidth theres not too much to complain about, I doubt between me and my GF we even use 500GB a month but its just nice never having to even worry about it. We can both stream netflix at the same time and my ping in games seems comparable to anybody else.

If you can get NBN then its more just a matter of finding a plan your happy with as there shouldn't be too much variance between ISP's.

And yeah like heff said theres a chance you'll be on fiber/cable especially if your metro and a newish building.

http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/ should give you an idea of whats going to be available.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:53 pm

If you didn't move into an NBN area i feel for you son

just go internode or iinet, doesn't really matter who anymore, like petty says TPG pretty much own iinet now, and all the other ISPs they bought. Further homogenization of the market and less incentive to be competitive on data cap, stability and international transit. We never had it good here anyway being this far from tier 1 ISPs, if you want real net, move to the west coast of america wherever google fiber is rolled.
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:13 pm

No NBN unfortunately - its a new apartment complex in the city, but I'm in Perth which means that the nbn is virtually non-existent unless you're moving into a newly developed area +50 minutes from the CBD.

ADSL 2 is available though, according to that link - but looks like we're a decent way from the exchange.

Also - looks like I need the phone number for the line before I can set up shit, which I don't currently have. I am way out of practise
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Optus cable? I've never had issues with it.

I've used it since 2001 and it's probably dropped out 5 times for a few mins. Really reliable. Depends what area I guess
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:24 pm

yeah optus cable if you can get it.

iinet have better customer service. adsl2 would be better value p/m but it really is entry level broadband, especially in built up areas during peak hours. you'll be buffering netflix with no chill.
Nasty Hobbit
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:21 pm

I've been fine with optus cable too
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:00 pm

>optus cable
>western australia

philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Is that a recommendation then Phil? The cat gif lacks a definite yes or no vibe.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:27 pm

Moving in this Friday. Learnt that I need to get someone in to jumper the line from the IDF to the MDF.

Not sure what this means for broadband availability - I still need to find out what cable they used to connect lines to each apartment.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Moving in this Friday. Learnt that I need to get someone in to jumper the line from the IDF to the MDF.

Not sure what this means for broadband availability - I still need to find out what cable they used to connect lines to each apartment.
sounds like ADSL to me. It means you'll need to inform the building manager that your having internet installed that day and that the tech will need access to the MDF (usually locked). I'm not sure if it means you'll need a 3rd party tech to do it though (usually at your own expense).
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]