bittah.com!~ Death Rattle

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:18 am

Death Rattle

FFS! As if I haven’t got enough problems to deal with, now my laptop is sounding the death rattle. I think it’s the CPU fan and not the hard drive but the laptop is out of warranty. I have a Lenovo T520 with the works and I don’t really want to fork out money to buy a replacement just yet. Are there any good aftermarket places that will replace my fan for me?
RaVPup
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:16 am

DIY an option?

You could pop the hdd out, boot to bios and let it idle for a while to 100% make sure it isn't the hdd.
Or you can grab the entire cpu cooling assembly off ebay for no more than $50 and throw it in yourself. Thinkpads are amazingly easy to repair.

Otherwise, on the bottom of the laptop, probably under the access panel for ram/wlan, there should be a single long thread screw with a tiny pic of a keyboard. Take that out then flip the laptop back over. Gently push the entire keyboard towards the lcd panel and lift it up. Keyboard comes out of the machine, disconnect the ribbon cable for it and the guts of the thing are all there. Clean the fans, maybe the noise goes away.

Full video instructions on just about everything for every model here:
https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/
Seraphic
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:54 am

Tried the old poke the fan with something trick? Always used to work on old desktop pc/psu fans.

My wifes laptop fan does it occasionally, i just push on the case under the fan until it hits the blades and the noise stops and it runs fine after that. Has been like that for over a year but i cant be bothered pulling the fan out to fix it properly.
Duff5000
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:10 am

Tried the old poke the fan with something trick? Always used to work on old desktop pc/psu fans.

My wifes laptop fan does it occasionally, i just push on the case under the fan until it hits the blades and the noise stops and it runs fine after that. Has been like that for over a year but i cant be bothered pulling the fan out to fix it properly.
This is why my pc is within punting range at all times
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:03 pm

When the HDD went bad I replaced it myself but anything that involves taking off the keyboard and actually mucking around with the innards scares me a little. I am not much of a electronics guy and I don’t want to fuck up my laptop.

PS – Death rattle seems to have gone for now.
RaVPup
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:22 pm

buy a mac
GoZFisH
bittah, jaded, anti social freak
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:10 pm

I hate Macs. They are shitty.

Edit - For some strange reason the death rattle has gone. Must be the Bittah Gnomies?
RaVPup
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]