bittah.com!~ Surface Book

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:17 am

Surface Book

Shakey-Lo
It's not Down Syndrome .... honest!

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:44 am

Magnesium is sexy, but wtf is going on here with this exaggerated curve at the 'hinge' -

REALLY can't see it beating a MBP to be honest, especially with BootCamp / Parallels running Windows better than most purpose built Windows laptops. Not a fanboi, but I'm pretty much in love with the modern MBPs.
punk
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:48 am

ms hardware hey? a surface is the best tablet you can get imo. this looks like a more expensive one with a hinged keyboard, extra usb ports and maybe a bit more grunt. if you want windows, what's not to like? ;p

punk i understand that as a dev you're legally required to say you prefer MBPs
Nasty Hobbit
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:50 am

It IS part of the licensing agreement.
punk
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:53 am

plus the looks you get at conferences
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:58 am

Unless already invested in the Apple ecosystem I'd go the surfacebook as it looks awesome for travel if thats primarily what you are after and also has a slightly better screen with touch support and from what I understand a better gpu too.

Can I mention Hackintosh? It's intel/nvidia so support for running osx is probably pretty high :yellow_laugh:
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:57 pm

I've been using a surface pro 3 for work for the past year and was looking at upgrading to the pro 4 soon but I wouldn't mind handling this in person. I've been impressed with MS products of late particularly for a high performance laptop for someone who travels a whole lot.
yael
user

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:24 pm

I was considering getting the new Surface Pro 4 when it comes out. I don’t really play games so I wouldn’t miss any grunt that I would get from a desktop for gaming etc. I pretty much only need it to type up documents, spreadsheets and the like.
RaVPup
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:27 pm

ive been mucking around with p5 and the surface book seems like itd be an ideal thing to develop touchscreen apps/toys on
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Ahh man! P5? The IT sector has a problem in that every few months there is YAL (Yet Another Language) to learn and promises the World if you do. Java is going the gay way because of Oracles ineptitude in managing and updating it. At the moment the in thing is C# which is pretty cross platform and natively compiles with the help of third party applications like “Mondo” etc.
RaVPup
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:16 pm

It's just a javascript library; I'm not a programmer.
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:19 pm

Yeah I realise that it’s just a Javascript library. Maybe I should have said YAA (Yet Another API)?
RaVPup
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:38 pm

It's just a javascript library; I'm not a programmer.
Can build native apps with electron or node-webkit.
I've been using a surface pro 3 for work for the past year and was looking at upgrading to the pro 4 soon but I wouldn't mind handling this in person. I've been impressed with MS products of late particularly for a high performance laptop for someone who travels a whole lot.
The surface pro 4 looks to have a far nicer keyboard and touchpad than the surface pro (which is apprently what people dislike most about the pro3).
Choices are pretty slim in the high end range. Has anyone actually tested a razer blade out?
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:48 pm

Yeah I have noticed a lot of demand for APIs like Node.js and others. Not too familiar with electron and node-webkit but I will investigate further. I have been out of the programming loop for a while now. These days I’m focused on doing big data and cryptography research. My main interests have moved away from software development to number theory.
RaVPup
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:00 pm

I'd be more in to web if you didn't need to learn a new javascript framework every other goddamn day
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:04 pm

I'd be more in to web if you didn't need to learn a new javascript framework every other goddamn day
The YAL effect in action. It's the same in software development. Soooo many Java frameworks, makes Baby Jesus cry...
RaVPup
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:35 pm

I work mostly with legacy stuff, so I can pace my studies instead of frantically reading documentation about some paradigm that'll change the world so I can make the client happy.

edit: tl;dr enterprise makes me salty

Back on topic: how do surface tablets handle drops? I am notorious for tablet frisbee
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:48 pm

I work mostly with legacy stuff, so I can pace my studies instead of frantically reading documentation about some paradigm that'll change the world so I can make the client happy.

edit: tl;dr enterprise makes me salty

Back on topic: how do surface tablets handle drops? I am notorious for tablet frisbee
Assembly 4 lyf

Smart man would purchase a good case/cover no matter how good it handles frisbee ;p This isnt a sub 100$ droid tab we are talking about.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:11 am

Working with legacy systems is all well and good until the system that you’re working with has to be retired so you need to upskill.

Anyway, back on topic – I am looking really hard at a Lenovo X1 Carbon. My last three laptops have been with Lenovo and I’ve always had a good experience with them (minus the headache of the pre-installed shit they ship with).

But…. Surface Pro 4…?
RaVPup
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:55 am

Working with legacy systems is all well and good until the system that you’re working with has to be retired so you need to upskill.

Anyway, back on topic – I am looking really hard at a Lenovo X1 Carbon. My last three laptops have been with Lenovo and I’ve always had a good experience with them (minus the headache of the pre-installed shit they ship with).

But…. Surface Pro 4…?
Brother bought a lenovo and the keyboard shit itself after about a year. They've also had a rough year with some pretty bad security/privacy problems. http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02 ... nnections/
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]