bittah.com!~ Firefox blocks Flash, and Facebook calls for its death

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:00 am

Firefox blocks Flash, and Facebook calls for its death

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/14/technol ... -facebook/

I think it's about time.

Is there an alternative secure app?
ImPaLoR
PLEASE EXPLAIN!
PLEASE EXPLAIN!

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:30 am

fucking good work!

i disabled flash a couple of months ago. since then i could count the number of sites that have asked for it with one hand. you don't need it anymore :wink:
Nasty Hobbit
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:42 am

The only alternative at this point is HTML5, which is (slowly) gaining traction. I think YouTube switching from Flash to HTML5 helped a bit, as well as the popularity of sites like gfycat and Imgur's gifv format. Flash is here to stay for a while though, perhaps not as prevalent, but still present at least.
Fixious
user

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:38 am

Disabled Flash a while ago, after going with PIA for VPN, as I wasn't convinced that Flash couldn't break the network stack, and the overall security record is abysmal. Been hating on Flash since CSS animation was in its infancy.

The only time disabling Flash has completely broken functionality is with play.spotify.com.

PIA I must say has been very very good, much easier than administering my own VPN.
punk
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:03 am

Well this explains why shockwave has been 'stopping working' every goddamned 15 seconds this past week. It's been driving me batshit as it literally freezes everything until you get the message to stop the plugin.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:06 pm

The only alternative at this point is HTML5, which is (slowly) gaining traction. I think YouTube switching from Flash to HTML5 helped a bit, as well as the popularity of sites like gfycat and Imgur's gifv format. Flash is here to stay for a while though, perhaps not as prevalent, but still present at least.
oh please imgur shit the bed with gifv, its not a new format. The containers are either mp4 for h.264 or webm for vp8 and imgur decided to sit on the fence and convert all ingested gifs into both mp4 and webm and the url 'gifv' will switch based on end users browsers. Gfycat also apparently does this.
So in other words, what can play webms:

yeah thats right, they're trying to fence sit and not fully adopt webm for the fucking ishitters and iedickshitters
then again theres nothing to say google will keep webm and vp8 or 9s development unlicensed into the future but something stinks to me about the legality of changing that, after majority adoption
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:49 pm

Shumway is meant to be an alternative although I havent used it and probably wouldn't expect too much out of it.
Netflix also recently switched to using html5 (you can still choose to use silverlight). The linux alternatives to silverlight are a major pain in the ass.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:02 pm

Firefox's improved private browsing mode will block elements on web pages used to track people between websites, such as tracking cookies and social media buttons. It may also combat browser fingerprinting – a popular trick with advertisers which examines your installed plugins, fonts and advanced settings to build a detailed profile used to track you even when tracking cookies are disabled.
IMO Browser fingerprinting is the hardest tracking method to subvert.
The more privacy apps you have - the easier it is to fingerprint you since you individualise yourself from the crowd. If EVERYONE got their shit together and used the same privacy apps... Yes i realise that TOR browser does just this - but it's very locked down and limited in it's uses afaik.

I guess this beta-browser may go some way to accomplish this homogenisation/merging of fingerprints.
Hiding in a flock of white sheep as a white sheep.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digi ... Mjg2NzE1MA
ImPaLoR
PLEASE EXPLAIN!
PLEASE EXPLAIN!

[ignore]

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:13 am

Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]