bittah.com!~ VPN's - Proxies - TOR

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now

Midair

Playing now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:20 pm

VPN's - Proxies - TOR

Probably time for a sticky considering what is happening in Australia now that a judge has opened a potential floodgate with a decision to allow movie studios to demand ISP's customer details, for alleged copyright infringements.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/onlin ... 7153214565

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/technolog ... 7298685886

http://www.news.com.au/technology/onlin ... 7299390913

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/what-to-d ... 7295177465

Needless to say......if you are downloading content and you do not have the permission of the owner, you are infringing their rights.
This is civil matter, not a criminal matter (so the police will not be involved) If you admit liability you are sunk.....and basically pay what they demand or, go to court and a judge will decide (either way it will be expensive).

If you are lucky enough to get a letter, ignore it or seek legal advice. The companies will need to prove (on the balance of probabilities), that the IP is yours (if it is dynamic then there is no case), that you downloaded it, your router has not been compromised or used by other people in the house and, they would have to supply the source code to the program that identifies you, when you ask for it (any right minded software company will refuse releasing the source code because it will be picked apart no doubt by people who actually know what they are doing!)

All that being said......what programs are people out there using??
I'm running VPN4ALL as they have a good range of locations and the company is not based in the US of (NS)A and they guarantee that your details remain private and they keep no connection logs (....so they say conspiracy conspiracy ).

....thoughts....

conspiracy
Riker
bittah Police
bittah Police

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:06 pm

Time to find a new anonymous way to *ahem* back up all of my movies and TV shows.

Also - from the last article
There is also an important distinction to be made in the torrenting activity of those identified in the case. Former iiNet chief regulatory officer, Steve Dalby, told Fairfax Media it’s those who seeded the torrent (making it available for others to download) that have been identified.

“They can’t detect downloaders so if I downloaded it but never shared it I wouldn’t be concerned about it,” he said.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:24 pm

I used to get infrignment notices all the time on TPG while using public trackers like piratebay, Havent gotten one in a couple of years since I've used private trackers but I doubt private trackers will help in the case.

Over the last few months I've gotten a VPS over in sweden that I've setup with rtorrent on the backend and rutorrent on the frontend which is also running plex. I now no longer download much of anything on my home connection. With that being said the past couple of years on unlimited TPG has set me and my brother up with 10GB+ of 'rainy day' watching.

With Netflix only recently coming to Australia I can see myself not needing to torrent much except the odd bit of software or legal *nix distro's.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:39 pm

If you are lucky enough to get a letter... The companies will need to prove (on the balance of probabilities), that the IP is yours... that you downloaded it, your router has not been compromised or used by other people in the house and, they would have to supply the source code to the program that identifies you
This is something that's always sparked my interest but not looked into it. You guys might know... I frequently hand out my wireless password to friends/family when they're visiting. Is there a way to determine from the IP which device was used? Is there an onus of responsibility to the one who pays the bill? i.e. If my mate downloads Transformers 14, could I be held accountable because it came from my IP?
flisky
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:24 pm

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the account holder will be held liable for any illegal activity that occurs on their account, without the onus of proof that they specifically are responsible.

Though in the US a judge just refused to issue a subpoena on IP grounds alone, there are ways of identifying the device and the user which are not tied to IP or MAC address, and I believe this is the entire reason for the introduction of mandatory data retention. They don't need to identify the exact device, all the lawyers need to do is pull the logs (meta-ah-ur-ahhh-um-data), show the pattern of a device (each device has identifying user-agent strings which while not unique are different enough to spot patterns) connecting to facebook, checking your gmail, visiting pirate bay and subsequently torrenting Gogglebox of Thrones.

See if this is accurate: http://www.pobralem.pl/

ps. I totally randomly landed on NoSignal the other day, following a client's 'i like this'. Very pretty.

pps. Am still using https://zenmate.com/
punk
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: VPN's - Proxies - TOR

Noob questions:

1. Do VPNs slow your browsing?
2. Are you able to route specific traffic around/through the VPN as you please? (eg, no VPN for gaming)
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:12 pm

Noob questions:

1. Do VPNs slow your browsing?
2. Are you able to route specific traffic around/through the VPN as you please? (eg, no VPN for gaming)
1. Depends on the VPN provider but usually any sort of slow down is fairly negligible for the average user. It will add some extra hops to your ping.

2. Dependant on software/provider but yes you can.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the account holder will be held liable for any illegal activity that occurs on their account, without the onus of proof that they specifically are responsible.
I remember reading this somewhere too but not sure if it was Australia specific.. It also makes the most sense to me. It would be a safe bet to police your network traffic if you share wifi passwords with friends/neighbours and are worried about this.

The most important thing (in my opinion) to look for in a VPS is one that claims they dont keep logs
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:52 pm

So the more important question is - who's going to risk Game of Thrones without a VPN?
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:02 pm

So the more important question is - who's going to risk Game of Thrones without a VPN?
A fucktonne of people haha. If HBO ever wanted to crack down on piracy in Australia we could be a very juicy target for them.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:21 pm

More scare tactics ay, well best of luck to them

my IPs dynamic, i force qtorrent encryption, one ssid is broadcasted with no password but has no wan or lan access, the other hidden with mac filtering

i hope all the normals get assraped in court for having such shit taste in films

philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:09 pm

I was a little worried about it but then I remembered we have netflix now and that shit is godlike, can just watch pretty much anything on demand.
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:14 pm

I was a little worried about it but then I remembered we have netflix now and that shit is godlike, can just watch pretty much anything on demand.
Netflix au has round the twist.
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:21 pm

Anything except for GoT.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:58 pm

Anything except for GoT.
Doesn't actually have GoT, but the new marvel daredevil series is pretty great. Also now that you can just jump right into streaming something I'm checking out a lot of movies I just couldn't be bothered to torrent before like ocean's 11.
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:58 am

Anything except for GoT.
Doesn't actually have GoT
that's what he said
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:01 am

I should pay more attention
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:22 am

Router/Modem combo most people use @ home:
Negatives:
- no 3rdparty firmware therefore no OpenVPN
- slow connection speed
- No dedicated CPU for encryption - therefore PC CPU drained for encryption

Recommend bridging existing combo-router/modem into a stand-alone router. Stand-alone router will handle your DCHP on your internal network.

Where to start?
1. VPN protocol, 2. router-firmware 3. Router - standalone - to be bridged with combo, 4. VPN provider
- all 4 go hand in hand. All need to be compatible.

1. choose your VPN protocol
- OpenVPN is certainly recommended - as most of the other protocols are a security risk as far as i know
- If you choose OpenVPN then make sure of compatibility throughout (firmware, router, VPN provider)

2. choose your 3rd party firmware - There may be select stock-standard firmwares that allow openvpn.
There are 2 main choices in router firmware (3d party):
- Tomato:
- dd - wrt:

They both add many many features and probable value to your router.

(i chose Tomato/shibby for it's stability/reliability and ease of use).
*see below link for comparison*

http://vpnpick.com/dd-wrt-vs-tomato-vs-open-wrt/

3. Choosing your stand-alone router - standalone routers designed for VPN encryption have their own onboard CPU - taking a load off your PC.
- compatibility: 1. VPN protocol 2. 3rd party firmware
- becareful of overheating as most routers don't have fans/cooling. I have mine sitting off the ground to maximise air contact. It's still hot to the touch.

Flashing with 3rd party firmware:
- DIY or preconfigured (costs a fair bit over the top of your router retail cost)

- I did a bit of research: net connection speed, performance and popularity of use for my chosen firmware (Tomato - shibby)
- I looked up some companies that pre-configured VPN routers (to gauge what the professionals deemed good) and some other random google searches.

I chose Asus RT-N66U N900 for it's supposedly "made-for" tomato firmware & popularity touted by multiple sources - $169. Yes expensive - but i didn't want to be stuck with a bad connection speed! Do your research!
http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Prod ... sid=95675&

4. VPN Provider
- recommendation - Private Internet Access (PIA).

Free proxy for PIA customers
No logs kept.
DNS leak protection.
Auto Killswitch - if your vpn loses connection, it will make your net connection go down.

PIA is EZPZ to install.
================GOOD VPNS================

================BAD VPNS==================
http://www.deepdotweb.com/2014/07/08/is ... t-or-shit/

VPN on Routers
With the increasing use of VPNs, many have started deploying VPN connectivity on routers for additional security and encryption of data transmission by using various cryptographic techniques. Setting up VPN services on a router will allow any connected device(s) to use the VPN network while it is enabled. This also makes it easy to set up VPNs on devices that do not have native VPN clients such as Smart-TVs, Gaming Consoles etc. Provisioning VPN on the routers will also help in cost savings and network scalability.

Many router manufacturers like Cisco Linksys, Asus and Netgear supply their routers with built-in VPN clients. Since these routers do not support all the major VPN protocols, such as OpenVPN, many tend to flash their routers with alternative open source firmwares such as DD-WRT, OpenWRT and Tomato which support multiple VPN protocols such as PPTP and OpenVPN.

Limitations:

Not every router is compatible with open source firmware which depends on the built-in flash memory and processor. Firmwares like DD-WRT require a minimum of 2 MiB flash memory and Broadcom chipsets. Setting up VPN services on a router requires a deeper knowledge of network security and careful installation. Minor misconfiguration of VPN connections can leave the network vulnerable. Performance will vary depending on the ISP and their reliability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

Once your VPN is activated - all your traffic goes through the VPN.
I read you can divert certain traffic through VPN - I havent bothered to research this yet.

You can also use TOR and VPN at the same time.

I use a proxy and vpn @ same time while torrenting.
ImPaLoR
PLEASE EXPLAIN!
PLEASE EXPLAIN!

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:46 pm

PIA was extremely slow for me, tried many servers, tcp mode ect. and it still struggled to load a page.
Dodge
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:49 pm

probable Bottle neck:
1. Router
- cheap standalone or modem/routercombo that can't handle the CPU load of encryption to keep up with your connection - I have read about certain routers and connection speed issues - which convinced me to invest a bit more than i expected. I would love to know the best bang for buck tho.

The router + firmware i use can get a max connection of around 10Mbit apparently. I don't mind since that's around my max anyway (thanks you cunts Abbott/Murdoch)
Last edited by ImPaLoR on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImPaLoR
PLEASE EXPLAIN!
PLEASE EXPLAIN!

[ignore]

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Rofl no. That's not the 'probable' bottleneck.
punk
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]