bittah.com!~ SAS Controller with 4TB+ support

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now

Midair

Playing now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:52 pm

SAS Controller with 4TB+ support

Got told about a HP P410i snagged one from ebay for $100, supports 4TB drives and has 512MB of cache. SOLVED!

-----
Hi all, getting a little confused when reading forum threads when HBA/Cache etc. is mentioned so thought I'd ask here.

I have a HP N36L setup as a NAS and I (and many others) have data transfer stuttering/stalling issues which makes it basically unusable for streaming and playing media from it. My solution was to install a IBM BR10i SAS controller which has completely resolved the issues I was experiencing and the box has been humming along fine for nearly 3 years.

The box is running ESXi 5.5 U2 with Server 2008 R2 guest, I've read threads where people have installed unRaid on the N36L and still have transfer issues so it's something related to the low power CPU/chipset that causes the poor performance.

So, my problem now is that I want to use 4TB drives and the BR10i has a 2.2TB limit even flashed to IT mode.

I need a controller that is < $200 that offers the same performance I've had with the BR10i but supports 4TB. I'm not running a RAID array so my needs are simply a controller that takes the load off the CPU like the BR10i has.

My last resort was to do a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade on my main box and build up a new NAS to retire the N36L but the power consumption of running a 2nd desktop 24/7 would be a concern.

Thanks
Sarge
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]