bittah.com!~ View topic - Xbox One

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Overclocking, Hardware/Software, Linux, Servers, Web Page help

Moderator: Super Moderators

Post » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:40 pm

PeTtY Wrote:
I really enjoy netflix/hulu there's always something to watch and it keeps the gf quiet :D

so you're a big fan of drama, reality and procedural cop shows then?

What about soap opera with zombies? With meth usage? Vampires?

tv is ded
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 10, 2014 12:00 pm

I have a question, I haven't been following this stuff at all but my ps3 is dying, usually I use it every day to watch tv torrents loaded from a USB thumb drive.

Can I do this with a PS4 or does an Apple TV solve my problem at a quarter the cost?

Any suggestions? I don't really play games anymore, except very occasionally on my wiiu.

Ta

doopy_loopy
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 10, 2014 2:05 pm

I don't have a ps4 but you should still be able to play stuff from a thumb drive. I know there is (currently) no DLNA support for the ps4, but thats set to change sometime, maybe. Other methods of streaming content to it are complicated.

Either way, a cheapy android box of some description annihilates a ps4/atv in performing this single task. You'd only bother frigging around with a ps3/4 if you want gaming or an atv if you like the D.

Seraphic
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 10, 2014 2:35 pm

doopy_loopy Wrote:I have a question, I haven't been following this stuff at all but my ps3 is dying, usually I use it every day to watch tv torrents loaded from a USB thumb drive.

Can I do this with a PS4 or does an Apple TV solve my problem at a quarter the cost?

Any suggestions? I don't really play games anymore, except very occasionally on my wiiu.

Ta

My brother has a ps4 but yet he says he cant watch any movies off any usb on it (he could be wrong)? If i was you id go either a WD TV box / apple box or build your own pc with xbmc.

I dont use many apple products so dont know much about the apple tv box but my friend has the Western Digital Tv box thingy and id recommend it too - $199.
Plays off usb / stream from wifi or Ethernet / works with keyboard and phones/ comes with remote + 1tb hard drive
Seems to have more features then the apple tv box and I'm guessing not as restricted?

Found link to purchase from pccasegear in Melbourne but might find cheaper elsewhere - https://tinyurl.com/lseeq5m
Scarygoat
user

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 10, 2014 10:30 pm

doopy_loopy Wrote:I have a question, I haven't been following this stuff at all but my ps3 is dying, usually I use it every day to watch tv torrents loaded from a USB thumb drive.

Ta

You should be using ps3media server and streaming from your pc to your ps3 - works a bloody charm. It's about all i use my ps3 for too.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun May 11, 2014 12:21 am

nah dont listen to dj buy an apple tv - they need more money

philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sun May 11, 2014 8:43 am

Re: Xbox One

Roku3

Kroz-
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun May 11, 2014 8:28 pm

I have one big complaint about ps3's:

f*****g CINEAVIA

It drives me batshit.

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri May 16, 2014 4:40 pm

get a roku3 and plex, no more cineavia

Kroz-
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri May 16, 2014 9:55 pm

Deepjay Wrote:I have one big complaint about ps3's:

f*****g CINEAVIA

It drives me batshit.

Depending on the model of your ps3 you should consider 'modding' it. Removes ciniva protection and play 'backup' games.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 17, 2014 10:17 am

Nah never again. I took the plunge and modded my xbox 360 way back when and it got banned. Completely f****d me using it online - really pissed me off too.

I've been considering getting something like a wd live thing - but they dont have sbs on demand app on them - meaning i'd still need my ps3 plugged in as i watch that and iview quite regularly - plus i use ps3 for blu-ray periodically.

But this cineavia thing is really f*****g me off. It's owning my ability to watch new release movies.

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 19, 2014 2:03 pm

i like my apple TV

streams things well, lets me dual display onto the tv or stream off a device if i want.
not that Ive looked at alternatives, but it works without any problems.

GoZFisH

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 19, 2014 3:05 pm

Does Apple TV have sbs ondemand and ABC iview out of interest?

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue May 20, 2014 12:05 pm

no

GoZFisH

[ignore]

Post » Tue May 20, 2014 12:57 pm

on a related note, it appears dicksmith leaked the chromecast for sale in Australia for $49.95

Plex, ABC iView, sbs on demand, sharing content via chrome extensions? nice?

ShazzA
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:31 am

Deepjay Wrote:Nah never again. I took the plunge and modded my xbox 360 way back when and it got banned. Completely f****d me using it online - really pissed me off too.

Yeah I can see that being a problem. Did you mod it yourself? I personally modded my 360 after it RROD'ed and was of the opinion 'f**k it' if I got banned but I still did as much as possible to minimize the risk (one of the big ones is powering on the unit while the dvd drive is disconnected). Kept the console for about 6 months after and never got banned.

One of my ps3's that I put CFW on has been going strong for around a year without being banned. But again It wouldn't bother me if it did get banned as its a secondary console that's mainly used for "backed up" games.

Impressed with the build quality of the xbone though. Glad MS got their **** together because the 360 had some very bad components (the heatsinks are **** and motherboard warping is the #1 cause of RROD).

In other news Ryse is coming to PC which is a pretty dirty tactic as it being an xbone exclusive was probably the reason many people picked up the xbone at launch.

As far as Cinivia goes last time I checked you could convert the audio to a different format which worked for the majority of movies. Not sure if it still does and its probably not worth the effort anyway.

RE DLNA on the ps4: You can indeed stream movies via Plex and the ps4 browser. It's convoluted and shouldn't be neccessary but it does indeed work.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:07 am

Nah I paid a dude to mod it for me - ie a pro modder. It wasn't overly expensive so i didnt care on that front, but being cut off from online really bothered me.

I was just messing around with Plex the other night actually. I have issues in ps3mediaserver where a movie/show will play but be out of sync - such as, the speed is all wrong. Particularly sucks when watching things that are subtitlted as puts them out of whack. Stuffed if i can work out what does it. For example i just downloaded a Japanese TV series that's 20+ episodes in length, and only some episodes do it, others are completely fine.

I tried Plex to see if this would get around it, but Plex wont load the subtitle files. And i find Plex to be messy anwyay - it doesnt recognise folder structure on my PC so i have this ginormous list of movie files, not sorted in their folders etc.

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:48 am

Deepjay Wrote:Nah I paid a dude to mod it for me - ie a pro modder. It wasn't overly expensive so i didnt care on that front, but being cut off from online really bothered me.

I was just messing around with Plex the other night actually. I have issues in ps3mediaserver where a movie/show will play but be out of sync - such as, the speed is all wrong. Particularly sucks when watching things that are subtitlted as puts them out of whack. Stuffed if i can work out what does it. For example i just downloaded a Japanese TV series that's 20+ episodes in length, and only some episodes do it, others are completely fine.

I tried Plex to see if this would get around it, but Plex wont load the subtitle files. And i find Plex to be messy anwyay - it doesnt recognise folder structure on my PC so i have this ginormous list of movie files, not sorted in their folders etc.

Yeah I don't really like plex for the same reasons as you. I find it slow and messy. But until sony release an update for DLNA streaming on the ps4 its what I'm stuck with.

You could try turn up the buffer timing. Will take longer to buffer originally but should iron out some problems. Not sure if it will fix yours though. DLNA streaming can be pretty fickle. You could also try hard code the subs. http://rikardo.kinja.com/how-to-hardcod ... 1438028334

Did the 'pro modder' alert you to the risk of being banned? Like I said in my previous post one of the major flags that will get you banned is turning on your xbox without the DVD drives sata connected. Theres a special adapter that allows you to connect it to your PC but the xbox still thinks its connected so it minimizes the risk. Woudn't surprise me if your guy didn't have the adapter though.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:16 pm

PeTtY Wrote:
Did the 'pro modder' alert you to the risk of being banned? Like I said in my previous post one of the major flags that will get you banned is turning on your xbox without the DVD drives sata connected. Theres a special adapter that allows you to connect it to your PC but the xbox still thinks its connected so it minimizes the risk. Woudn't surprise me if your guy didn't have the adapter though.

Oh yeah - he made clear the risks etc - by pro i mean, some vietnamese guy who does it for a living from his parents home - that kind of pro.

I cant remember now, but some of the risks were playing games pre-release, cant remember the others. But he didnt offer a lot of info. I wouldnt do it again at any rate. These kind of devices are basically a brick without net access.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Hows the XBone working out for you Larno / others?

I still haven't bought any console, ever. Nearly bought a PS4 recently until I heard it's f*****g useless as a media center, so went with an Intel nuc, Win8, xbmc, steam box instead. It can play most things I care about on the HD5000 but with nephews and such I am still in the market for either a PS4 or Xbone... opinions kthx.

punk
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]