bittah.com!~ View topic - Xbox One

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Overclocking, Hardware/Software, Linux, Servers, Web Page help

Moderator: Super Moderators

Post » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:10 pm

Xbox One

Some Dude got an Xbox One sent to him early by mistake, a whole bunch of info here and here. the guys Twitter feed is here:

The UI is looking and seeming pretty slick according to Moonlightswami.

Is anyone else getting one? I am getting the Xbone at launch and will grab a PS4 around xmas once some games that I actually want to play come out for it.

I am really hanging out to spend some quality time in Killer Instinct & will also probably pickup NBA2k14 & Forza at launch.

Also f*****g glad I have the hooks-up & have no data cap on my fibre as the game sizes for downloads are gonna hurt some people

Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:23 pm

I don't think there's a single aspect about the xbox one that I'm excited for where as I have been pretty pleased with the ps4 press releases to date (apart from the rumor that it won't support DLNA servers...wtf?). The fact that cod/bf4 isnt native 1080p is pretty telling...Not that bf4 is 1080p native on the ps4 either. Also seems like a good percentage of the xbox one media features won't be available to us Aussie's for some time to come.

Microsoft has really done some damage to themselves through terrible press releases (see the latest video of watch dogs running on xbox that was actually running on a ps4, Same thing happened with the New Need For speed game).

Agreed on the data caps though the next few years are going to be PAINFUL for people on low quota's.

PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Developers making games huge to discourage piracy.

Apparently they dont know about repacks :wink:

Funks
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Iinet and all the ISPs they own (Westnet, AAPT etc) have unlimited downloads for Xbox live.

CrimsonFury
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:48 am

PeTtY Wrote:I don't think there's a single aspect about the xbox one that I'm excited for where as I have been pretty pleased with the ps4 press releases to date (apart from the rumor that it won't support DLNA servers...wtf?).

I'm about the games, PS4 currently just doesn't have anything, I would love a new uncharted etc and im sure we will get it but not for a while. Just like every gen ill have both machines and give them a whirl, i'm quite looking forward to all the extra xbox features especially since the ps4 has dumped all media capabilities like you said.

BTW its not a rumor. PS4 cannot/will not have the ablity to stream movies/video from any external source be it over wifi or an external hdd. Infact the ps4 will not support external storage devices at all for anything. It also cannot play MP3s unless they are played from the pay to use sony music store... talk about rushed out the door, either that or pure money grabbing...
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/ ... h-america/

Its f*****g ****, I have no idea why they did this except to force us to use their pay to stream services for music/movies. Once I had picked up a PS4 I assumed it would be my main console that is always hooked up, except for me this is a decent issue that may see it take a back seat if the XBOX is just/almost as good for games.

On the gaming front, it will be interesting to see in person about the whole 720vs900p thing. I am not sure you could tell the difference in person away from very select cherry picked screenshots especially on a TV from 6+ feet away.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:36 am

Apparently PS4 will have DLNA capability patched in within the first few patches.

I was going to pick up a PS4, but i only use my PS3 for streaming media, but i do like the odd games - ie GTA5, Dark Souls, Naruto Shippuden, that studio Ghibili game etc.

I'll grab whichever console proves to have the best media capabilities, and best apps. Probably still PS4, but just not at release. Still prefer PC for gaming any day of the week.

Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:26 am

Re: Xbox One

I found the video in the article link below to be a pretty good summary of the Xbone & it's entertainment/apps focus.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/11/8/50 ... iving-room

Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:05 am

Iscariot Wrote:I found the video in the article link below to be a pretty good summary of the Xbone & it's entertainment/apps focus.

Thing is though, do you think many of those apps etc will work in Australia? Like the TV guide and stuff looks all good and well, but will it work here? I wish we had as many TV type options as the USA, ours seem to pale in comparison. That may change with the NBN though...oh wait.

Considering the prices of these mofos, I'm just going to wait and see.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:10 am

I'm waiting for Watch Dogs... tbh I don't have much time for games these days so in no real rush...

KFC

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:11 am

if what larno posted is the end product then that is a massive fukup from sony

seriously that would actually influence my purchase, i doubt i will buy either anyway but media box would be a major factor for me and that reduced capacity is weak sauce

whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:14 am

Well apparently DLNA will be patched in within a few patches as i said above, but yeah, it's pisspoor that it's not there on release, that's the selling point for me.

Did PS3 have DLNA from day 1?

My original media box was an xbox 360 - but i hated streaming via tversity, ps3mediaserver was one of the best things ever for me.

Has Xbox's media streaming changed at all? It didnt use to support things like xvid's & mkvs initially, has that changed?

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:45 am

Re: Xbox One

Deepjay Wrote:
Iscariot Wrote:I found the video in the article link below to be a pretty good summary of the Xbone & it's entertainment/apps focus.

Thing is though, do you think many of those apps etc will work in Australia? Like the TV guide and stuff looks all good and well, but will it work here? I wish we had as many TV type options as the USA, ours seem to pale in comparison. That may change with the NBN though...oh wait.

Considering the prices of these mofos, I'm just going to wait and see.

They are making these things for a global market waaaaay bigger than the US market will be worth to them, so I'd be surprised if most of that functionality didn't work here in much the same way, especially considering the way it is rigged up. And as for apps, in the vid they say "if you can write an app for Windows you can write an app for Xbone" so I'd expect the app side to have tons of options on it that catered to more localised needs.
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:51 pm

AFAIK most of the media capabilities will be U.S only on release. They are going to bring those features worldwide but I'm Sure Australia will be pretty low on the list. Content providers don't really like Australia. That being said I'm sure there will be work arounds to get the features like netflix and hulu going (unblock-us, unotelly) but all the other stuff won't work on release.

As far as the gaming list goes Playstation has always had the better exclusives. Forza is about the only xbox exclusive worth a damn imo (although titanfall won't be on ps4, I do still have a PC) whereas playstation has killzone, infamous, god of war and probably my all time favourite game of that gen - The Last of Us. There's also hardware to take into consideration, both consoles are already under-powered and from everything I've read the ps4 has 50% more grunt than the xbox which will certainly affect them down the line.

Not patching in DLNA functionality into the ps4 is going to loose alot of customers so nfi what they are thinking there.

Also ps+ > xbox gold by a loooong f*****g margin, Free games anyone?

PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Xbox live is way better than ps+ from a gaming perspective especially since all games/developers have free dedicated servers on xbox one, that is a HUGE perk that sony doesn't have. Also XBL is 3 free games per month just like ps+ now.

The whispers are that the next Mass Effect will be MS/Xbox only again just like the previous ones were for the first 12 months, that would be a huge feather in the cap. I don't think you can discount how much people love Halo either.

Sony has some great exclusives but the issue is we wont be seeing any of them this year... not one unless you count killzone which is historically **** to average imo. Seems a mega fail to me. I was really hoping for a new naughty dog game but it looks like we wont see one until 2015.

I will probably grab a PS4 around xmas or maybe when Infamous comes out in Febuary.

Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:15 pm

I reckon exclusives are becoming a bit of a dying trend, or I hope so, anyway. Having to buy a specific console to play a specific game is pretty f*****g gay IMO. One of the main ones that would have swayed me was Dark Souls, but that became cross-console, and 2 will be on both and PC anyway.

PS4’s online system would have been better than Xbone’s had it remained free, but with a pricetag attached, spit all round IMO. Being able to just play a PS3 game for free online was great – paying to play online is f*****g shitful for someone like me, as I might only play it for weeks at a time, sparingly if that throughout the year. I could never get full value paying for a full year, or even month by month. Even sweetening it with a few free games or rentals is not worth it to me as a player. Thank god the PC remains free in that regard, though I wouldn’t be surprised if within 5 years that changes somehow.

All things being said though, I still find myself more interested in the PS4. The Xbox with its interface and gamer pictures just strikes me as being aimed at a younger market than the PS4 - but eh who knows these days.

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Larno Wrote:Xbox live is way better than ps+ from a gaming perspective especially since all games/developers have free dedicated servers on xbox one, that is a HUGE perk that sony doesn't have. Also XBL is 3 free games per month just like ps+ now.

Wasn't aware of the free games TY. As far as this goes though the only real feature that everyone keeps complaining about is missing party chat which I never used on the 360 anyway. I'm not sure what sort of social features the xbone will have but I was really impressed by the ps4's ability to essentially take over your mates ps4 and finish that level for him remotely.

Larno Wrote:The whispers are that the next Mass Effect will be MS/Xbox only again just like the previous ones were for the first 12 months, that would be a huge feather in the cap. I don't think you can discount how much people love Halo either.

Mass effect being exclusive could definitely put a big dent into playstation but it would also piss PC gamers off to no end. Last good game out of the halo series was 3, This is not to say people don't enjoy the Halo series they surely do but I just don't see its popularity continuing as much into this next gen unless halo 4 does something amazing.

Larno Wrote:Sony has some great exclusives but the issue is we wont be seeing any of them this year... not one unless you count killzone which is historically **** to average imo. Seems a mega fail to me. I was really hoping for a new naughty dog game but it looks like we wont see one until 2015.

I will probably grab a PS4 around xmas or maybe when Infamous comes out in Febuary.

I always thought killzone was decent. Certainly not great but one of the better FPS games and it's always had some pretty amazing graphics considering the system it was on but it falls into the same category as the halo series.

Naughty dog definitely being the elephant in the room, Probably the best dev company going around. They constantly deliver smash hits and I'd buy ps4 just to play the exclusives they pump out.

At any rate I won't be getting either console until the new year when the dust has settled and alot of these questions have been answered. I'm not sure where either company will go after this gen as I don't think there's going to be much of a market for consoles in the next 5-10 years. I find that I'm just not as interested in getting a console this gen and I'm getting sick and tired of being locked into closed proprietary systems like apple/xbox/ps.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:32 pm

I'm assuming that Destiny game is an Xbox only as well?

Mass Effect used to get me excited, but after the fail way it wrapped up the third one, the bitter taste is still pretty much there.

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Deepjay Wrote:I'm assuming that Destiny game is an Xbox only as well?

Actually no, Destiny will be coming to all 3 systems but its the ps4 that gets exclusive (timed) content :P

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/08/29 ... h-xbox-one
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Yeah Destiny may be a PS4 reason for pickup as well, that will mainly be determined by where friends & people I want to play with go etc..

The other title im keen to look at is Titanfall, which im hoping has ahuge PC community as well but I would imagine the community on xbox for it will be 10 times as large and as active as PC.

PS. Bathurst: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/10/fo ... st-trailer

Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:46 pm

What has Titanfall got going for it that will create a huge ongoing community though? It looks good, but from what I’ve seen of it, it looks like Call of Duty with mechsuits and a bit of jetpack parkour thrown in. Looks like one of those games you play through the campaign, have some fun in the multiplayer (a la CoD) then move on. Hell, the devs were behind Modern Warfare & MW 2 right?

Deepjay

[ignore]