bittah.com!~ View topic - Using a ps3 to stream media

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

Overclocking, Hardware/Software, Linux, Servers, Web Page help

Moderator: Super Moderators

Post » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:23 pm

Haven't tried it yet DJ. You'll just have to buy one and let us know how it goes :wink:

dreamstation
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Last edited by philmarcracken on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:41 pm

Deepjay Wrote:So any PS4 advice?

Havent really tried since netflix but ill get you an answer tomorrow.

I know what you mean about plex though but if you can partner it with a seedbox running plex server it can be really awesome being able to stream your stuff remotely.
Last edited by PeTtY on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:41 pm

Re: Using a ps3 to stream media

philmarcracken Wrote:Only trying to help, way 2 be a ****

I think he's looking for a drop in replacement to his PS3 for streaming, rather than an alternative setup
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:44 pm

PeTtY Wrote:
Deepjay Wrote:So any PS4 advice?

Havent really tried since netflix but ill get you an answer tomorrow.

I know what you mean about plex though but if you can partner it with a seedbox running plex server it can be really awesome being able to stream your stuff remotely.

Yeah cheers that'd be appreciated. Have no interested in putting together a seedbox as the PS3 is a fantastic device as is, but if i can step that over to PS4 somewhat seamlessly (but with the better hardware of the PS4) then it'll be perfect. Saw someone mention that PS3 media server works for him on the PS4 on reddit, chasing him up too.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:08 am

Last edited by philmarcracken on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:55 pm

What benefit does a shitty laptop provide that a console doesnt? Your certainly not going to be playing games on a $400 laptop. If all your looking to do is stream content and play the occasional game then a ps4/xbone is a far better choice.

DJ. Tested with Tversity (Same thing as PSmedia server) and it worked streaming an MKV. Initial buffer took a minute or so (1080p rip of a game of thrones ep) but once the streaming started it seemed as stable as my ps3 used too.

Planetside 2 is coming out shortly and considering it will have the same player count as it does on PC it should be pretty good fun.

PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:58 pm

MMm thanks for that - TVersity though is a pile of ****. I'm not sure if it's been improved at all (it's what i was using for a short period before PS3media server) - but it's method of streaming was completely different. I cant remember the specifics of it technically, but due to the way it did it, it like re-encoded it on the fly or something which stopped you from being able to fast forward or rewind or stop something and resume. So if it dropped you were back to the start - actually i think you could only FF. It was about as primative as you could get basically.

This other guy mentioned PS3MS works the same for him on PS4 but i'm not actually sure what he uses it for. I also suspect it wont natively play subtitles as that was something patched into the ps3 later on.

I think i might hold off for the time being unless i get super impulsey over the weekend. $400 is a bloody good price for it but i'm just not sure i want to take a $400 punt given the fact i'm not really interested in using it for gaming.

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:25 pm

Deepjay Wrote:MMm thanks for that - TVersity though is a pile of ****. I'm not sure if it's been improved at all (it's what i was using for a short period before PS3media server) - but it's method of streaming was completely different. I cant remember the specifics of it technically, but due to the way it did it, it like re-encoded it on the fly or something which stopped you from being able to fast forward or rewind or stop something and resume. So if it dropped you were back to the start - actually i think you could only FF. It was about as primative as you could get basically.

This other guy mentioned PS3MS works the same for him on PS4 but i'm not actually sure what he uses it for. I also suspect it wont natively play subtitles as that was something patched into the ps3 later on.

I think i might hold off for the time being unless i get super impulsey over the weekend. $400 is a bloody good price for it but i'm just not sure i want to take a $400 punt given the fact i'm not really interested in using it for gaming.

If i remember correctly Tversity used to transcode your unplayable files on the fly which is probably why you weren't able to rewind or anything. If set up correctly to only transcode files that the ps3/ps4 can't play natively you shouldn't have the issue. Haven't really tested it lately so cant say if thats still the case. With that being said the underlying tech behind tversity (DLNA) is the same as ps3 media server so if one works the other should too.

Can't comment on subtitle support but hardcoding em in there is easy enough but I doubt thats the solution you want ;p

Reading the list of accepted formats for the ps4 media player you could turn off transcoding entirely as it looks like it plays most popular formats natively.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:04 pm

PeTtY Wrote:Reading the list of accepted formats for the ps4 media player you could turn off transcoding entirely as it looks like it plays most popular formats natively.

True enough although that would likely involve needing to play it directly from the console itself, which is annoying needing to copy things back and forth. The whole point of having it stream across the network is that it can play directly from a PC, which is where the PS3 media server comes in (or in some cases just standard media player - but that doesnt play dickall). Of course for PS3MS to work it then requires the PS4 to support it on its side, which up until this recent DLNA patch, didnt.

I'll have a think about this over the weekend as it might be worth just sticking to the PS3. There's a few things coming up for PS4 that i wouldnt mind next year or so, so i'm not in any real hurry on that front but yeah.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:59 pm

Last edited by philmarcracken on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: Using a ps3 to stream media

Ps3 media server and tversity - and others - all support transcoding, so it doesn't matter

SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Last edited by philmarcracken on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:05 pm

+

punk
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:28 pm

those nucs are also great, low power usage but i wasnt going to mention since they dont come with hdd or ram i think so extra f*****g around

also came back to delete all my posts as they're rather off topic

philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]