bittah.com!~ first look at the tank

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Midair / General / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:01 pm

first look at the tank

reposting from a midair thread

has 1500 HP
50 player chaingun bullets does ~200 dmg (7 clips to kill one)
1 disc does ~120 dmg (12 hits to kill one)
1 grenade does ~110 dmg (14 hits to kill one)
1 plasma does ~100 dmg (15 hits to kill one)
50 tank chaingun bullets does ~500 dmg (150 shots to kill one)
1 tank mortar does ~490 dmg (4 shots to kill one)

atm the tank is way too slow but the siege mode is interesting. you can lock your tank into place for a bit more range. first shot below is in siege mode, second is normal.
turning the barrel around takes too long

and the chaingun is op as fck

hopefully they sort the vehicles out because they're both really awkward atm.
Nasty Hobbit
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Plasma the heck out of it! :shock: ....and don't let me park it on top of you :P
Riker
bittah Police
bittah Police

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:16 am

is there rep packs in the game? i havent followed it much despite backing it
return of the ToF meta with cg whoring back cappers to let the tears flow?
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:06 am

repair tool is in and pretty much the same as t2s
vsrr
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm

nudes actually spawn with rep packs at the moment and they are on the walls inside every base

HO campers dream
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:58 pm

I like the slow turning turret - keeps it functioning as a tank rather than a point n shoot win device. Also means it cant remotely compete with infantry right on top of it (which it really shouldnt). If Hi-Rez implemented it, it'd pan as fast as the player and fire just as fast with a massive full damage aoe. Oh and hitscan shells.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:50 pm

i could maybe forgive the slow turret if they made the tank lighter and faster. i like that the driver has control of the chaingun (unlike the t2 tank where you were either driver or gunner) but it's so damn slow
for the lulz, here's the t2c tank
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:05 pm

watching it in motion, it instantly felt like the halo tank to me (the alien one). I don't mean that negatively or positively, just making an observation. I'm okay with it being slow (he says not having played the game) because like DJ says you dont want to have TA-style 1-man win machines
Shakey-Lo
It's not Down Syndrome .... honest!

[ignore]

Post » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 am

On one hand it's better to be a two person vehicle so the driver cant shoot imo - any vehicles in tribes should be team orientated, or designed to support the on foot gameplay rather than be a dominant force themselves. On the other, if it needs 2 players then its only really of value in 12v12 or 16v16 type matches as 2 people out of 8 in one vehicle is a bloody waste of 2 people.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:13 pm

I don't think there should be tanks in matches much lower than 12v12. Tanks are for epic battles not 7v7 esports
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:39 am

I don't think there should be tanks in matches much lower than 12v12. Tanks are for epic battles not 7v7 esports
Agreed - would be nice to see certain things unlocked based on number of players on server.. or at least give admins control like we had in T2

eg. Invul base assets when under X players
Vehicle Y unavailable when under X players
Number of team kills before kick

etc
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:11 am

Yeah totally agree with that too. Sometimes i wonder why these modern tribes games go into developing the vehicles so early - when the on foot gameplay should be the primary focus. IMO once you start adding vehicles into the mix it starts to muddy the balance of the rest of the game. They should focus on the on foot side and nail it before any vehicles are considered. Things like weapons, packs, armour balance, movement, base layouts/facilities etc.

It also makes you wonder why vehicles are even neccessary given the movement speed of players. Rather than vehicles it'd be cool to see like addons that expand the players packs - like a pair of clip on wings that give a super boost, or some pack that allows gundam style missiles - just because.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:16 am

T:V style rocket pod?
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Sorry, macross :P

Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Yeah totally agree with that too. Sometimes i wonder why these modern tribes games go into developing the vehicles so early - when the on foot gameplay should be the primary focus. IMO once you start adding vehicles into the mix it starts to muddy the balance of the rest of the game. They should focus on the on foot side and nail it before any vehicles are considered. Things like weapons, packs, armour balance, movement, base layouts/facilities etc.

It also makes you wonder why vehicles are even neccessary given the movement speed of players. Rather than vehicles it'd be cool to see like addons that expand the players packs - like a pair of clip on wings that give a super boost, or some pack that allows gundam style missiles - just because.
First paragraph yes definitely

Second one is perks/augments which I am not so keen on, I firmly believe tribes needs to be as basic as possible in most regards as the mechanics are far more complex than most other shooters
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:16 am

[4:44 PM] hobb: is there going to be something in base that stops gens being destroyed if server under 7v7 ?
[4:45 PM] hobb: as ppl join it enables things like 'deployable turrets at x players', 'gen play at y', 'tanks at z' etc
[4:57 PM] fr3nzy: isnt 7v7 kinda high?
[4:57 PM] fr3nzy: 3v3 maybe
[5:30 AM] arcadus: 7v7 is great for base
[5:33 AM] PROJ: i think it'll have to be pushed to at least 9v9 tbh
[5:33 AM] PROJ: 7v7 is super hard even for comp players
[6:02 AM] Swordf1sh: 9v9 is ideal
[6:02 AM] Swordf1sh: though if there are enough, some maps could definitely handle 11v11
[6:34 AM] BugsPray: definitely will have ways for you to tweak that on custom servers - i think wrt what we support in matchmaking will be up for debate for a while
[6:34 AM] BugsPray: 7v7-9v9 sounds about right though
[6:35 AM] BugsPray: the goal with matchmaking though is to put people in a consistent set of rules with the right number of players
[6:35 AM] BugsPray: so there theoretically wont be any switching on or off these kinds of gameplay features within the course of one game(edited)
[6:36 AM] BugsPray: you'll either be in a game with it on or off, likely dependent on player count
[6:36 AM] BugsPray: we'll see though - that might get changed as we see how it operates in the real world
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:02 am

The debate shouldnt be how many people but whether it's configurable or not. IMO 8v8 should be the minimum for gens and bases being destroyable, and 10v10 minimum for vehicles.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:20 am

Proj being involved generally means any debate is scuttled

I agree on the scaling , we had it in 1999
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:34 am

All you need is:

- Vehicle Pads to spawn them
- Only large maps designed for 12 v 12 and above with V-pads
- An intelligent map cycling system that adds larger maps to the rotation AS the number of players in the server increases so you're not stuck with tanks on a big map in a 4 v 4.

Problem solved.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:18 am

The debate shouldnt be how many people but whether it's configurable or not. IMO 8v8 should be the minimum for gens and bases being destroyable, and 10v10 minimum for vehicles.
There isn't debate on whether it's configurable. As I mentioned in the chat log posted, it will be configurable on custom servers. The debate around "how many people" is centered around our matchmaking experience, not custom servers. :)
BugsPray
<font color="red"><b>Project Lead</b></font>
<font color="red"><b>Project Lead</b></font>

[ignore]