bittah.com!~ Midair (formerly known as Project Z) - Page 5

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Midair / General / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:14 pm

it does. the disc reload looks a bit overdone (possibly a bit feminine) but everything else looks really good so far.
Nasty Hobbit
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Over all it looks good. I can see the t1 t2 in it. Abit floaty though which sucks, and the disc feels like it takes yonks to reach its destination. 6/10 zoobie buckets
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:00 pm

The discs are (supposedly) faster than T:A's. I believe the art team is working on increasing the visibility of them, since they really don't stick out very much. I also think they look very slow, then again the movement in general was pretty slow since everyone was a noobie. The HUD needs some work, such as when you have the flag, but for the most part it's a good start. I like how your speed is displayed at all times, and hope this is shown globally for flag grabs. The splash radius seems fairly big, and hopefully the damage is linear. I recently went back to T:A and was frustrated by how small the splash radius is for discs, but maybe T1 and Legions have spoiled me. Midair splash radius:

MA explosion animations (2:45) looks like they're off, just like in T:A. That actually bugged me quite a bit in T:A, so I assume this is an issue with Unreal. It looks like a direct disc does 120 damage (so about 60%), while bullets to 15 each.

The movement looks okay. Mind you this build didn't have collision damage, so skiing was easy mode. As for floatiness, I think any Tribes-like game you haven't played yourself looks floaty until you get your hands on it. I haven't really heard any of the playtesters say it's floaty, but instead remark on how much weight they feel. The lack of air control without jets adds to this. I don't really like how you can just come to a complete dead stop though when skiing on the ground, which is similar to Ascend. I like coming to a somewhat slow halt in T1 and Legions. Does it add anything? Not really, just personal preference.

Discjumps (3:40) look hella weak, which was brought up during the playtest at PAX and will surely get some buffs since chasers brought up issues catching up to cappers. At this point this is probably my biggest worry, because we all know what a Tribes game looks like when there's no real chasing and what it leads to.

So overall, this is definitely a pre-alpha, which they've repeated several times and made no claims otherwise.
Fixious
user

[ignore]

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:59 pm

Beat me to it Fixi :)

Looking great for sure, considering it's pre-alpha.
The disc reload looks a bit overdone (possibly a bit feminine) but everything else looks really good so far.
It's confirmed as a placeholder haha :D
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:09 pm

They definitely have to change the reload hand. It doesn't look right. Why even have a hand? Copy t1 t2 style weapon change... No hands at all!
Can't believe little shit like that bugs me about new tribe games haha us vets can be so fussy can't we ;)

@royalty go download t1 and t2 and have a ski... Can't stand new bloods having an opinion on tribes in general.
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:35 am

They definitely have to change the reload hand. It doesn't look right. Why even have a hand?
How many times do I have to say that the reload animation is a placeholder? :/
@royalty go download t1 and t2 and have a ski... Can't stand new bloods having an opinion on tribes in general.
Alright, alright. I'll give it a go after my exams in November, don't have much time between now and then.
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:48 am

A few times.

Good man :)
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:02 am

That looks quite good, so far I'm def impressed.
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:16 pm

VGD.

Glad it's a legit project.
danger
Not Marv
Not Marv

[ignore]

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:23 am

Looks pretty solid , scaling maybe a little small at distance but I think that’s when I see the underwater bits (that I don’t really like but hell could be ok)

Touch floaty as others have said but not shockingly bad, disc jumps obviously need a boost….in general I think the movement stuff seems pretty tight

Terrain looks great, could use a few more jagged or tough to ski sections but generally pretty good, feels like it’s a bit rolling hills and could use some more variety and high difficulty components

Combat seems decent, disc needs more splash or at least a better explosion, rest is hard to tell

Pretty decent MAs at 18:20 and 18:40
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:48 pm

Terrain looks great, could use a few more jagged or tough to ski sections but generally pretty good, feels like it’s a bit rolling hills and could use some more variety and high difficulty components
I think it's not really worth worrying too much about this. I'm assuming that the devs have enough a clue to know the importance of a community map editor. Provided that's available, it can be a powerful balancing tool. (It was the primary tool for balancing competitive starcraft for years.)
gaz
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: Midair (formerly known as Project Z)

That's a good point. Do we have any facts on modding? Paging Royalty and Fixious
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Can't comment on mapping but pretty sure modding is off the table , saw something somewhere by someone

Gaz ur probably right , my understanding is that those maps are actually t2 maps with new assets but again not sure
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:48 pm

they're def remakes of old t2 maps
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:21 pm

Maps make or break tribes like games. Map editor should be at the top of the todo list.
Bash
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:32 pm

The dev team has said a couple of times (on IRC) that custom maps will be a reality.

Nobody is sure if modding (HUD, sounds, scripts etc) be possible, my gut feeling is that it won't, which I'm fine with to be honest.
Last edited by Royalty on Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:38 pm

Modding is a double edged sword to me, I think if they have good ctf and a lakrabbit type game it wont be necessary

Mapping on the other hand like bash said kinda makes or breaks tribes games

There are hundreds of close to unplayable tribes maps for every DX or CC, so u need a bit of map spam as counter intuitive as that might seem

Depends alot on the business model which seems to be f2p with pay for cosmetic items, if its all server side controls as a result then maybe it will be administered in a more controlled way....hopefully its a good balance
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:43 pm

Going by Legions, I think they nailed Team Rabbit. Most fun I've had playing any FPSZ game.

They also released a map editor, which was a really great feature, albeit released late, whilst the game was already losing players.

Here's the subforum for a bunch of Legions maps http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/foru ... m-maps.16/

I like custom maps, but as you said there will only be a few good ones amongst many trash ones. Which is fine, and it will be interesting to see how custom maps are pushed "live" to the game.
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:19 am

I hope they have beacons.
danger
Not Marv
Not Marv

[ignore]

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Fixious
user