bittah.com!~ Midair (formerly known as Project Z) - Page 3

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Midair / General / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:03 pm

Not challenging ur view but do u see any benefit to it petty?

As in does a tribes game gain from having a sniper rifle?

I dont believe it does and I am yet to hear a good argument for it but interested
Depends on a few factors imo. If used primarily as a tool for spotting incoming cappers or to punish crappy routes then yeah it can add to the gameplay. If middair ends up being more like TA or LT rather than classic base then any sort of sniple rifle should be removed in its entirety.

A sniper should also never be allowed to be the sole reason for a failed cap.

Did you have the same issue with the T1 laser rifle as you did the sentinel class in TA? Hi-rez went full retard and had no idea what they were doing so much of the gameplay ended up having to be balanced around a single class.

Truth be told from what I've seen of the middair gameplay and engine I do not think any type of sniper rifle is a good fit at all.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Agree based off gameplay

I didnt have the issue in t1 but then we were mostly on 56k with 30fps and ball mice with fluff caught in the ball ;)

the fog was a factor but the above mentioned were far more important

Also most t1 maps were pretty damn small, stopping an iceridge backcap with a sniper was pretty tough

I think modern t1 using our fast connections, excellent vid cards and laser mice would have problems with sniping

I just dont think it fits in the tribes gameplay, and when it does it doesnt really improve anything, it just doesnt detract anything

which is a bad reason to include something
whitewhale
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:35 pm

I didnt have the issue in t1 but then we were mostly on 56k with 30fps and ball mice with fluff caught in the ball ;)
this is a pretty important point - in T1 you really had to lead your target to get a hit (back when we were all HPB anyway), it was pretty much like having it be a fast moving projectile.
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:51 pm

tbf there was never really any overpowered/game changing sniper in TA

hurlz was a cheater so he doesnt count
karano0o
user

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:34 pm

I watched the gameplay vid on tribes reddit, decent physics, touch floaty but tribes games always look like that, hard to tell without playing it
Yeah the physics don't look too bad, but as you said, and the devs have acknowledged, it is a touch floaty at the moment (pre-alpha). Not too bad for this early on.

I'm the one that made the footage megathread on reddit fyi :)

I try to get involved on /r/midair as much as I can. This is a game I'll likely end up playing, and it's in by best interests to support it/try get an Aussie scene going.

---

In terms of a sniper, I don't know, I'm conflicted. Snipers in T:A sucked, plain and simple. Can't comment on T1/T2/T:V.

I actually didn't mind the sniper in Legions (after it was changed to drain energy). Chase sniping was high risk/high reward, and I really enjoyed it for the short time that I was able to play with low ping.

If you missed that one shot, your chase attempt was over.

Here's some footage for anybody that's interested (skip to 5 min 10s for chase sniping):
The rest of the video is well worth watching too, it's all midairs (blue plates) and flag play earlier in the video.

In any case, happy to see you guys talking about the game/taking interest. Hopefully we get some more footage soon.
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:01 pm

tbf there was never really any overpowered/game changing sniper in TA
I think every borderline competent sniper in any team from day one of TA fits into the 'op/game changing' category tbh.

As far as t1 goes....snipers were a non issue, aside from...ironically..O sniping plebs on pub servers

If midair has to have a sniper rifle...a weak one that drains energy is ok i guess - it's really not an important aspect of a tribes game, like ww said, we were all 56k (or worse)...and apparently he had 30fps - i was lucky to have half of that :laugh: but it was all lead and timing, even then it wasn't all that awesome - chasers > stationary sniper

I do want a targeting laser though....
aristo-
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:29 pm

I remember a few snipers in t1 that could pull off in pressure situations (comp). They mostly had a low ping or a very stable ping that they had lot's of game time playing at.

Sniping In t1:
Against a decent capper:
- you had 1 main shot as sniper (maybe 2)
- the damage to energy ratio was fair - You really needed full compliment of energy or you werent really doing enough damage. Low damage shots were completely not worth doing - which is how it's meant to be (unlike T:A *SPIT*)
- chasing as a sniper was pretty much impossible. The loss of energy was a good deterrent.
- You had to lead - cos ping and no hitscan. It made it seem inconsistent - which was enough to put you off from using it in a pressure situation.
ImPaLoR
PLEASE EXPLAIN!
PLEASE EXPLAIN!

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:20 pm

Legions sniper was pretty balanced and besides overdrive capping with 180 degree changes kinda added a different dimension

Most encouraging to me about this project is the scaling , first modern tribes game that looks to address model size in relation to the terrain, legions made everything look tiny as did ta to a degree

Floaty is interesting cause at times t1 looks floaty but it doesn't really feel it, it's an interaction between player model , Gravity, terrain and speed that is tough to get right . Mabel seems dedicated to getting that part right which is encouraging

That Perro vid is awesome , my fav from legions still that insane capper doing all those OD caps
Last edited by whitewhale on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:22 pm

I was looking forward to this but already the comments coming out of the developers is an exact mirror or T:A. And the comments from the Tribes fans are just as varied and unattainable (so many T1 style requests). It's a small developer, they don't have the manpower to make a massive full featured game.

Hi-Rez's issue was they listened to the fans and made about 30 physics updates early on which didn't make 'everyone' happy, plus they tried to conform to the other million requests while trying to make a free-2-play game at the same time. The game was great fun (yes i'm in the minority) but the community and Hi-Rez attempting to support them made the whole thing a mess.

I imagine they'll release a fun game which will be fairly popular (as long as hi-rez doesn't sue them) but as usual the Tribes community will get so vitriolic it'll fall apart. :cry: Yes I'm jaded!
KraKen
bittah

Yahoo Messenger: friend
AOL: suck
[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:27 pm

I will agree to disagree that community input was the biggest issue with the TA dev process
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:59 pm

Yes WW, the scaling does look promising, very happy they got this right whereas I agree that scaling in Legions was absolutely fucked.

I too have faith in Mabel. He can be a rough, blunt guy at times, but when it comes to game physics he knows what he's doing. He's always been polite to me, so I hold him in high regard.

And yes, perro/phan made some of the best Legions montages :)

---

Kraken (very similar to my reddit name haha), I disagree that the developers will mirror a lot of the decisions that Hi-Rez made with T:A. They are very much trying to do things right, so I'm staying hopeful. I think some of the main issues with T:A was the overcomplication of the class system and the physics (slow as hell), both of which Midair is keen to avoid.

Hi-Rez won't be suing them :P

I am afraid of the toxicity of the Tribes community. Hopefully we'll be able to hold together a dedicated community for as long as possible. I'm hoping for the best, and that's all any of us can do.

I need to stay hopeful because well, Tribes isn't going anywhere unless Hi-Rez sells the IP.

Some of the cancerous individuals from tribalwar.com have already started spamming the subreddit with multiple accounts saying how good T1 was and that Midair will be absolute shit. This is before they have even played/seen proper footage mind you... :/
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:04 pm

[quote="PeTtY"]Low Mobility and not being able to hit a player on the other side of the map would be a good start.[/quote]

view distance had to be up there among worse elements of t:a

hmm what else

regen
class system
xp grind
lack of team rabbit
retarded weapons
hitscan
two weapons
map design
creativity wall
lack of team rabbit
base turrets
lack of beacon jumping
lack of grenade jumping
lack of fun
lack of balance
lack of team rabbit
lack of good comp play
lack of good pub play
lack of team rabbit
lack of soul
noob console GUI
shithouse reticles
lack of team rabbit
developers
promoters
anyone else involved in churning out that piece of shit
difficulty in just saying "no" whenever a game with "tribes" in the name or (supposedly) spirit pops up
difficulty in remembering which one is ascend and which one is vengeance.. perhaps that's a misc rather than a negative

:oops:

yay4tribes, GL midair. think it's been said already, but looks more like t2 classic than anything else from those vids.
Marv
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:11 pm

I doubt all that toxic stuff will mean much this time around

TA was the first tribes game in ages and attracted a lot of sabre rattling and passion , midair won't have that vibe at all. A few tw tards are not the community and I imagine I speak for most here that the community is tired of that shit

If we get a good version of tribes that is enjoyable it will possibly get a small player base

Agree with Marv re t2c which is ok by me at this point :yellow_laugh: ...nice list too
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:17 pm

Well Midair will most likely have team rabbit, so it's got something going for it I guess. :P
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:10 pm

Bugs is project lead isn't he? This guy was playing t1 till 2014, he probably still is. Midair is in good hands :)

Royalty, how do you know hirez won't sue midair? Do they even know midair is being created?

Marvs list.... I could add so much more. But I won't because it's depressing.
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:14 pm

Bugs is project lead isn't he? This guy was playing t1 till 2014, he probably still is. Midair is in good hands :)

Royalty, how do you know hirez won't sue midair? Do they even know midair is being created?
Sue them over what?

Skiing and jetpacks?

As long as they don't name things the same it is just another skiing and jet pack game with deployables.
JackBootedThug
Official bittah.com Chief Conspiracy Theorist

Yahoo Messenger: Skinski7
[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:38 pm

Jack has explained pretty well why Archetype Studios won't be sued by Hi Rez.

The only possible thing which Hi Rez could attempt to sue over is the use of the weapon "spinfusor", but Midair is calling it a ring launcher for now, so that won't be an issue.

And yes, Bugsy is project lead. Never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but have spoken to him many times and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. The game is in good hands indeed :)
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:22 am

https://twitter.com/leukthug/status/638046943223025665

MA with serious impact

pretty cool
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:29 am

This game already looks better than TA

Dat MA dat Nade launcher.
rain
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Some good information from the playtest:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Midair/comment ... ad/cunci7y

They discuss skiing, the chaingun balance, the art style (tree smashing), weapon balance and reloads, the "Tribes" vibe and PUG, and the passion of the team.

Some good and genuine feedback and optimism from somebody who frequents on TW... not like the other dude from TW who has been making a new reddit account every day to spam the subreddit.
Royalty
user

[ignore]