bittah.com!~ Midair (formerly known as Project Z) - Page 2

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Midair / General / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:52 pm

Seems fair enough
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:13 pm

How big is the playable area going to be compared to say a regular TA map?
I don't know really, I'm not affiliated with development, and I'm an Aussie, so I didn't get to go to PAX.

I do know the devs though, and I'm confident that they know that players want a reasonably large play area.

One thing I do know is that the T2 map "Massive", seen here: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=12&v=hE0h3WlubI4[/youtube] is the same map featured in this video https://twitter.com/ArchetypeGames/stat ... 7246223360.

So you can assume they will be reasonably large.
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:50 pm

From their official Twitter:

"We'll have footage from the event in the next couple of days with some gameplay being featured as well".

Should be good :)
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: Midair (formerly known as Project Z)

Large maps require more people. Hopefully a lot of focus on smaller maps too.
An important question is how do they intend to market the game outside of the existing tribes fan base?
ColonelBlair
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:57 pm

Large maps require more people. Hopefully a lot of focus on smaller maps too.
I'm sure there will a mix between the two to cater for all server sizes and populations.
An important question is how do they intend to market the game outside of the existing tribes fan base?
An important question indeed. Really, even T:A failed at this, but I'm sure the dev team will do their best to make it marketable.
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: Midair (formerly known as Project Z)

If midair can pull even T:A number of players that would be great imo
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:09 pm

If midair can pull even T:A number of players that would be great imo
Yes it would. The issue with T:A was that it failed to retain players - the XP grind was horrendous, the physics were never improved, and Hi-Rez never listened to Tribes veterans, or the players in general.

In contrast, I'd like to think the Midair devs are very much "the people's devs" and are willing to listen and create a game that people want. The challenge for them will be getting the numbers initially, but I suspect retaining a playerbase shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The other thing is that Youtubers like Total-Buiscuit and others who are well known were very much alienated by T:A. If Midair can spread the word, and get them playing, they should be able to attract a decent amount of new players.
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:40 pm

While we are talking about maps, Battlefield's "rush" mode would be cool in a tribes style game.

Someone make it so!
Duff5000
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:44 pm

So I asked one of the developers, Mabel, some questions on reddit:

Q: A common suggestion at the playtest was that the game needs more air control and a more effective way to chase cappers. How can this be fixed?
Fix the physics, fix the maps.

We got very clear and unanimous feedback from (maybe all of the) high level players that attended about the physics, particularly the level of air control. The physics have a lot of problems, and they were made worse by a lack of comprehensive playtesting and not having a whole lot of time for balancing.

From what I saw, it was too easy to gain massive amounts of speed on routes while at the same time being really punishing toward mistakes due to the mechanics of the lateral movement. Being punished super hard isn't fun and when good players are having problems with something as basic as that it's indicative of a serious problem.

For chasing specifically, the explosive weapons just weren't tuned properly for the speeds that people were going, making them awful at high speeds. The RL is kind of expected given its low RoF and small splash radius, but the GL not being able to keep up is a bigger issue. The grenade launcher is more of a natural chasing weapon given its higher RoF, multi-shot magazine and large splash radius, but the physics of the grenades left it useless.

The explosive impulse was just hard to pick given the spread in speeds. When capper speeds get out of control it's just hard to do anything right. I decided to keep the already ridiculous top speeds from becoming incredibly ridiculous and work on it later since it would just take too long to do a decent physics rebalance.

All these issues are tangled together and we'll need to do a lot of work to iron them out. I'm starting work on the next major revision of the physics and that should move us in the right direction.
Q: Are you guys going to continue with in-house testing for some time, or is an alpha testing period expected late this year? Or will you lips remain sealed?
At least one of those guesses is right.
Q: Would you personally like to see a sniper in Midair/will one be introduced?
Yeah, it'll happen. It won't be like T:A, though. The T:A snipers totally break the game. A sniper will most likely be implemented with the use of an energy drain mechanic.
Q: Some people said the game seemed too "floaty". Is this just more physics tuning?
It's a mix of different causes. The first thing you learn when figuring out a game like this is that they are very floaty. You can do a whole lot of things that result in you slowly floating through the air for a really long time.

Thing is, people rarely play like they do in real games when they're just trying to get a feel for a new set of physics. You don't take full damage RJs and hold down RMB while going to the enemy base, it's a waste of energy, health, and time. If you ever watch how much energy you have while playing T1/T2 you'll notice you don't really use most of it when skiing because it takes you so far off the mark from what you actually should be doing.

To really get a sense for the physics you just have to see what people do when they're actually playing for real.

As I said, I'm working on major revisions to address the problems I mentioned earlier (as well as some other ones, like scale).

We're working on it!
---

If you guys have any questions of your own, hop on the official subbredit at /r/midair (http://www.reddit.com/r/midair), and make a post.

Alternatively you can try asking via their twitter.

Link to reddit playtest discussion thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Midair/comment ... on_thread/
Royalty
user

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:46 am

I watched the gameplay vid on tribes reddit, decent physics, touch floaty but tribes games always look like that, hard to tell without playing it

Shame about the sniper, grow some nuts dev guys and give TRIBES players what they want

Pretty decent start, glad to see the physics looking more classic in style
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:17 am

I don't mind having a sniper in (but wouldn't miss it if it was gone), but they need to find the right ways to balance it if they do... T:A didn't have that. And now that there's talk that they're dropping the class system to go light / med / heavy open slather I wonder how they're going to stop every loadout being CG + sniper
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:52 am

You need to have snipers to cater for all players. Just don't make them OP.
anyways, that feelz in tribes when you mine disc a sniper ohhhhhhh yea baby!
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Lets just pretend that argument doesnt exist

add it , dont add it , game is worse with a sniper

we all know it

cool

for those interested

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes/comment ... x_footage/
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:31 pm

When this game comes out the tanz kids won't be allowed to play.
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:35 pm

but then there wont be anyone to make the T1 vets butthurt :buttplug:
karano0o
user

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:41 pm

please don't feed the trolls, that just brings them back
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:11 pm

I don't see anything wrong with a laser rifle if its implemented properly. Low Mobility and not being able to hit a player on the other side of the map would be a good start.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Balance and physics - please get it right :D
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Not challenging ur view but do u see any benefit to it petty?

As in does a tribes game gain from having a sniper rifle?

I dont believe it does and I am yet to hear a good argument for it but interested
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:45 pm

Snipers are good for those back cappers that double disc jump away with 1 hp.
Think of t1 canyon crusade. Those back caps were impossible to chase if the capper got one disc jump away. This is where I'd like to see snipers come into play.

T:A was fucking awful. Snipers would snipew out offense, then the capper mid way through route and then capper again after he grabs. Some maps the sniper could snipe spawn locations LMAO - hirez.

Balance ww balance.

In t1, a full energy snipe onto heavy armor done hardly any damage. Mid air must copy this. And make it projectile, not hit scan.

Btw, you'll need gens up to be a sniper. So by the time the sniper could get into gear and set up into position, it will take 30 - 40 seconds?
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]