bittah.com!~ Build 0.23.0 - Page 2

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Midair / Midair Builds / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:38 am

Well the number of deployables was always limited in both T1 and T2 without needing a special pack anyways. It is probably related to the grind/monetary system I guess. Which is still a bad decision.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:59 am

what i posted
sounds like the engineer pack is more of a bag of drills, hammers and nails that you need before you deploy turrets and locked down to mediums and heavies. can see what ww is saying. when i read the bit about ground/water/sentinel turrets the first thing i thought was "why not have the turret as the pack and make the augment determine what kind of turret it is". previously what made you a turret monkey (engineer) wasn't a defined class you selected or tool you had to carry, it was just whether you were medium or heavy and carrying a turret. my TM keybind setup was:

Up arrow: spiderclamp turret
Down arrow: landspike turret
Left arrow: motion sensor
Right arrow: pulse sensor
LAlt: inventory station
Ctrl + space : repair pack
Shift F: throw health nugget

i'd run around deploying and tapping whatever key i needed from the inven on the fly. the numpad was for light/medium/heavy presets but i'd also have every kind of deployable, grenade, pack and base turret as keybinds. any TM knows the start of a match is a race to get as much stuff up before the first wave arrives, there's no time to stop and go into menus. regardless of how the packs and augments are arranged i would hope to be able to do the same sort of thing with loadout presets and item keybinds in midair.
I'm guessing this would remove a 'scavenging' system then? ie: mass dropping turrets to be picked up by teammates with the proper armour and free pack slot.
if (or when) they add a 'drop pack' button i guess you could still do this. just drop packs with whatever kind of turret augment.
Nasty Hobbit
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:16 am

The thing that gets me with these design changes is they're often unneccessary. T1/T2 had these systems nailed. I dont understand why developers feel the need to change them or build upon them as they often just screw up the entire balance. Lugging a turret out on your back was perfectly implemented in T2 and moreso, you could tell what someone was up to, could see if they had a turret or a stationary turret barrell on their back. Those games were so far ahead of their times that i wonder if any new game can ever match them. How they were so intuitive in a period of gaming that was so primative beats the hell out of me. There's definitely a wheel that doesnt need to be reinvented here.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:26 am

The thing that gets me with these design changes is they're often unneccessary. T1/T2 had these systems nailed. I dont understand why developers feel the need to change them or build upon them as they often just screw up the entire balance. Lugging a turret out on your back was perfectly implemented in T2 and moreso, you could tell what someone was up to, could see if they had a turret or a stationary turret barrell on their back. Those games were so far ahead of their times that i wonder if any new game can ever match them. How they were so intuitive in a period of gaming that was so primative beats the hell out of me. There's definitely a wheel that doesnt need to be reinvented here.
Crazy isn't it, how far ahead of the curve they were and even now we can't get maps or compasses :laugh:
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:27 am

Because in this current era of gaming why would people continue to play your game if you don't have things to continually unlock?
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 am

as long as they don't lock you into roles and force you into menus all the time it should play out the same. just laid out differently.
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:04 am

Crazy isn't it, how far ahead of the curve they were and even now we can't get maps or compasses :laugh:
Thing is though - they also had server browsers, inbuilt community functions, replays, clan support - the list goes on.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:10 am

Because in this current era of gaming why would people continue to play your game if you don't have things to continually unlock?
Sadly this is the truth of the matter. But just because you need to incorporate unlocks doesnt mean you have to crap on your entire game design.

My take on this is the fundamental game systems should be locked in place and available. Players will be 'blown away' by the sheer amount of options open to them. When a game launches fully featured it's almost never a negative.

BUT - to satisfy the unlock crowd (which is basically all modern gamers these days) - concentrate the unlocks on cosmetics. Armour appearance/colours/addons/voice packs/emotes/vehicle appearances/yadda yadda yadda. TA should have done this. I bet the most money they made post-release was from their voicepacks and similar.

The other super important cosmetic is prestigious items - ie unlockable elements that make your armour look better/more badass than newer players. Simple things like gold trims on pauldrons to winged helmets. Players LOVE this shit.

You can look at a game like League of Legends for a success story when it comes to cosmetics. Addictive gameplay aside, how much money do you reckon Riot Games made from skin sales? I'm thinking somewhere around the bajillion mark. I'm willing to bet it played a giant part in the games rise.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Yeah achievements to chase that give cosmetics give that same unlock / progression itch without breaking game balance.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:09 pm

The other thing is maps. Maps and core gameplay elements should never be divided up by expansion packs and/or progression. These season pass things are a cancer on modern gaming. Star Wars Battlefront has been copping a lot of flak for doing it and deservedly so, the game is so sliced and diced up based on the expansion packs (which fell under the season pass) that it's a goddamned joke.

You would hope that all maps and equipment for this remains part of the core game.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:43 am

Hey guys, I want to dispel a couple of things that have come up in this thread before you get too carried away with them.

#1 - The Engineer Pack as it is now will change in the near future, and based on the feedback I've seen here you're probably going to like the end result (although it's not going to be exactly how T1/T2 works, the reasons why you wan't it that way will likely be satisfied). The reason the implementation is the way it is now is because before ANYONE could ALWAYS have a deployable AND another pack at the same time. This isn't how it was in the old Tribes games and it creates some balance issues for us. Consider this a quick fix for that.

#2 - Moving deployables to a pack was NOT built so we could monetize it or expand our progression system. When it comes to gameplay related stuff this will NEVER be the deciding factor. We've got enough stuff in the game to do what we need there without designing gameplay around it. Also I know you guys were kind of going off on a tangent with the maps thing but we're not going to push maps behind DLC paywalls or anything. Doesn't make sense at all for us.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about the recent changes. Happy to answer where I can. :)
BugsPray
<font color="red"><b>Project Lead</b></font>

[ignore]

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:19 am

thx bugs, can you give us any more info on the progression system? it's a bit of a mystery ;)
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks bug we all appreciate your updates :oralsex:
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:41 am

thx bugs, can you give us any more info on the progression system? it's a bit of a mystery ;)
Not a whole lot of detail I can give here because we're focusing on prototyping gameplay features and solidifying overall gameplay first. Whatever we go with there you can always bypass the gameplay progression with the progression pass. I quit playing Tribes after the T:A progression system so rest assured we'll work hard to not make it intrusive if you don't want it to be. Oddly enough we've had a surprising amount of requests from people who bought the progression pass and want to turn it off so they can go through the whole thing haha.
BugsPray

[ignore]