bittah.com!~ [Movie] Interstellar (2014) - Page 2

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:54 pm

Lol petty it's trippy as fuck go see it. Btw the dudes didn't mention much don't stress pettles. Spoilers ffs
Had planned to take the mrs down to southbank to see it but seems like a bad idea with the G20 going on. Might make it a double feature with john wick.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:22 am

John Wick awesome film as well. Heaps of good shit out there this month.
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:38 am

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind ... rect=false
Since the movie’s opening on Nov. 5, some viewers have complained about the movie’s sound, claiming some key dialogue is difficult to hear and raising questions about whether it is the fault of the sound mix or the sound systems in some of the theaters where the film is playing. But Nolan said the movie’s sound is exactly as he intended and he praised theaters for presenting it correctly.
:yellow_laugh:

What an ass.
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Since the movie’s opening on Nov. 5, some viewers have complained about the movie’s sound, claiming some key dialogue is difficult to hear and raising questions about whether it is the fault of the sound mix or the sound systems in some of the theaters where the film is playing. But Nolan said the movie’s sound is exactly as he intended and he praised theaters for presenting it correctly.

What an ass.
New theory: Nolan's ivory tower of scientists in this film who save the dumbass people of Earth is just a parallel to how he views himself in the movie-making industry: One of the enlightened few.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:48 pm

What an ass.
New theory: Nolan's ivory tower of scientists in this film who save the dumbass people of Earth is just a parallel to how he views himself in the movie-making industry: One of the enlightened few.
That fits almost too well. And the rest of the industry are lowly farmers.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:48 pm

I'm not entirely sure what it is I just viewed as I was unable to get a complete grasp on the plot, so I now express how startled I am at the plot in a general sense, which hopefully helps convey my mix of confusion and enjoyment.

This movie was alright but felt way too long with so many scenes dedicated to 'emotional string tugging' and other bullshit. Most of the time I was trying to figure out where the fuck it was all going.

I liked the idea and what it tried to portray, but I really felt like they were layering on the tension and emotion side of things instead spending more time on 'ok so we're heading here now, all aboard the plot train'.

Everything was too convenient and contrived. Hey it has to be you that goes because you really want to because farming is for shit people or something its just you ok you're the protagonist, it has to be someone. Fuck whoever else we had set up for the job that we've planned for the last 10 years. Oh you have to die on this planet because of some reason I dunno I guess its your turn, even though you keep shifting backward and forward instead of running back and avoiding the big wave of death. Oh hey that idea about the probe and the black hole well we can't do that any more because of some reason so I will have to conveniently detach and go in as a person, because that's far more tense.

Scenes behind the bookcase was bleh, and the ending of that scene in general was eh.

3/5 but worth a watch just for the concepts - had some strong points.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:44 am

1. I liked contact!
2. People overuse the term 'what the actual fuck' plus plus
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:42 am

1. I liked contact!
Fair point, I've changed the first line of my post to be a more accurate descriptor.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:19 pm

1. I liked contact!
Fair point, I've changed the first line of my post to be a more accurate descriptor.
I totally give this comment 4/5
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:11 am

I finally saw this last night and i have to say I really enjoyed it. It had an otherworldly vibe to it, very reminiscent of 2001 and even if a bit of a nod to that movie, really well handled. I particularly liked the way sound was handled in the movie, primarily the silence of space.

I too found some of the dialogue very difficult to understand. There were certain scenes that had a specific road of space thrusters in the background but moreso a kind of static sound that made understanding the dialogue very damned difficult. CB pointed out one part where they were talking and laughing on the ship - and yeah, i had that same issue.

I really liked the planet with the gigantic waves, obviously gravity affected by that Black Hole - when you realised what was going on there - awesome. But also thought the crews reactions were completely unrealistic. Yes you need the probe, yes the time delay is killer, but with a wave that size coming.......... Although i have to say that i really liked the whole relativity thing there, the thought of losing 7 years earth time per 1 hour on that planet, very cool/freaky.

And one final thing - I thought Matt Damon would have been a bit of a meh casting choice for the Martian, but having now seen him in this in basically that exact role (minus the loopy) - yeah he'll be great. If you dont know what The Martian is, it's a book by Andy Weir about a manned mission to Mars, where a massive storm means they have to abandon the mission, but in doing so, one of them is injured (presumed dead) then promptly left behind. But it turns out he's alive, and he has to try and survive the something like 550 days before any rescue can get back to him. If you havent read it, i highly highly reccomend it. It's being made into a movie as we speak, as Matt Damon cast as the lone astronaut.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:19 pm

Just started reading The Martian.

Up to the part where he turns his little hab onto the prairie into
Spoiler: Show
the Hindenhub

Thanks for the tip off.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:27 pm

Just started reading The Martian.

Up to the part where he turns his little hab onto the prairie into
the Hindenhub

Thanks for the tip off.
WTF is a
hidenhub?!
It's a brilliant book. The hard science is presented in such an interesting and comprendable way. It's not the most amazing writing in the world, but it's his consistent wit in the face of massive diversity, that and a persons demonstration of expertise that makes it a terrifc book.

Getting back to Insterstellar, i was also struck on multiple occasions how the different situatons were framed the same - ie Earth and Space. There were multiple occasions where it was almost paralel, like the burning camp on ice planet, then switching back to the burning cornfields with the smoke in the sameish position.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:05 pm

What did you think about the scenes filmed on Earth? Specifically, the "he should be a farmer, that's what he tested for" bits, and Casey Affleck's character?
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:54 pm

What did you think about the scenes filmed on Earth? Specifically, the "he should be a farmer, that's what he tested for" bits, and Casey Affleck's character?
The suspense/urgency about him coming back didnt make sense, nor did his stubborness to want to protect his kid. I actually thought he was going to hit his sister when he got back from putting the fire out. I was glad he didnt as it would have just been whack, IMO.

Oh and one other comment - when Cooper ended up in that
cube thing....5th dimension whatever it was
, that reminded me of the end of The Abyss (a childhood favourite movie of mine). Where he's just suddenly in that odd environment. I expected it to be a sort of alien reveal by that point, but also found it interesting that the whole answer may have in fact been
far future humans.
It was really a well made movie as it was heavily speculative. One of the best science fiction movies I've seen in a while anyway.

Those robots were surprisingly well done. When the first one showed up, the guard robot at the base I was a bit...WTF, did that voice come from that? I wonder if their design is a nod to Space Odessey's pillar? Very reminiscent I thought. They really worked for me in the end though, particularly their humor - unexpected but just worked.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:56 pm

WTF is a
hidenhub?!
hidenhab
Sorry, fucked up the spelling.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:57 pm

WTF is a
hidenhub?!
hidenhab
Sorry, fucked up the spelling.
Ok wtf is a
hidenhab
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:57 pm

when he blows up the habitat while trying to burn off the hydrogen
Just finished it then.

Ends a bit too abruptly, but it's also prefect in many ways.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:09 pm

lol duh, of course. How i couldnt see that now - well let's just leave it at that. I thought for some fucked up reason you were referring to the potato farms.

Shoutout to Martian potato coffee
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:15 pm

Nothing Tea was better.

EDIT: I'm really hoping they change Marks hometown to Bawstin, only to hear Matt screaming obscenities at the planet with that accent.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:54 pm

Oh hey that idea about the probe and the black hole well we can't do that any more because of some reason so I will have to conveniently detach and go in as a person, because that's far more tense.
From my understanding the reasoning behind that was
they had to use the thrust from the attached ships to get the station into the right trajectory and then they had to shed the (now dead) weight of those ships to get a bit more thrust and properly slingshot around whatever they were slingshotting around. Each ship had a robot / human in it to actually control the thrust and then detach from the station, which I assume couldn't be done from outside the ship.
Am I wrong?
Oh you have to die on this planet because of some reason I dunno I guess its your turn, even though you keep shifting backward and forward instead of running back and avoiding the big wave of death.
Agreed that was ridiculous. Though those robots turned out to be much more mobile than I expected. Pretty cool idea.
ISimmoI
calm

[ignore]