bittah.com!~ [Movie] Interstellar (2014)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:46 am

[Movie] Interstellar (2014)

[One-Liner]
- Christopher Nolan tries his hand at 2001: A Space Odyssey

[Plot]
- A strange and unexplained natural (?) phenomenon apparently caused by man's opulence is slowly destroying all the food sources on Earth
- Coop (Matthew McConaughey), a former aircraft pilot, has had to settle into his new life as a crop farmer following the (global?) decision to decommision space exploration to focus on saving the Earth and humans
- He feels very much like a failure because he was good at something and never really got the chance to shine, but has a family (son, daughter, dead wife, father-in-law) that he loves / loves him and puts his personal drives aside for now
- Murph (various) is his very smart but slightly disfunctional daughter who is convinced she is being communicated to by ghosts in their house
- After these "ghosts" relay some co-ordinates to Murph, both she and Coop investigate and find that NASA hasn't actually been decommissioned, but instead has been sending out Lazarus parties to investigate the opportunity for life on other worlds (using a wormhole discovered in space)
- Coop is offered the opportunity to leave Earth behind (temporarily) to pilot a vessel with a research team to each of the planets that have been discovered as potential new homes then report back and bring the cavalry with them
- Then... I could be here all day...

[Pros]
- Space scenes are exceptional, really brings up the tension at key points in the movie
- Nice comic relief too, especially the robots
- Acting by all is top-notch for the most part, if slightly over-the-top in parts (Matthew McConaughey I'm looking at you), although Anne Hathaway seemed a bit shell-shocked throughout for some reason
- Takes on space / time travel / other dimensions pretty well, and tackles "God" being the driving force behind what some people see / do without every really mentioning religion
- However, also takes a few liberties with scientific theories for the sake of entertainment
Spoiler: Show
gravity... time dilation... existing inside a black hole... higher dimensions and human evolution
that you'll either forgive or shit on... I guess I didn't mind tbh

[Cons]
- 3 hours... prepare your butts...
- Some of the dialogue got a bit hard to hear at times for me, although might just have been the cinema I was in... but have seen others complaining about this too
- Slow third act
after they land on the first planet
that sets up the rest of the movie, but really takes the flow down way too much imo
- Way too fucking mushy for me at times... especially the ending...
Brand's painful speech about love... Coop looking through the bookcase at Murph pleading with her not to do what she's already done... love being the guide that allows them to find each other... getting back in time to say goodbye to her... running off to be with Brand... meh
[Rating]
4 KFC buckets out of 5, solid movie (isn't quite 2001 though) but the last part(s) were a bit too kitsch for me
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:27 am

Yea I watched this on the weekend and enjoy it. Good space movie.

Cons - 3 hours of sitting, a tad cheesy

Pros - special effects of planets and other worlds is awesome, dust town and dust storm is cool, acting was really good from both Matt's and as kfc said, good comedy from the robots.

If you love sci-fi films I'd watch this if I were you. It's trippy as fuck though at the end.
4/5 zooby buckets

Edit: ya kfc I also had trouble hearing some scenes while they spoke and they were important scenes of the movie zzz
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:47 am

Hmmm sounds good. I'm really in the mood for a realistic space movie - am currently reading a book called The Martian, about a guy stuck on Mars (written like it's a realistic space mission), and it's a bloody good book - highly reccomend it.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:01 am

Yeah I enjoyed it.

It does tip it's Fedora a little too much to 2001 at times though. For example, there's a particular soundbyte that is played regularly throughout, and all I could think of was that it was Nolan doing a:
Not enough to be grating, but a little obvious.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:30 am

Yep I really enjoyed it also, great movie. Though It's not a movie I would want to watch a second time but it was a really great movie to see in a cinema.

it has a point where it goes a bit kinda weird / they take a lot of liberties but it manages to not go totally off the rails and hold its course on being enjoyable which was good as it could have easily gone bonkO.

I give it 4/5 Cacti.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:44 am

Watching this today at imax. Absolutely cannot wait. Haven't felt this way about a film in a while.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:04 pm

Saw this on Saturday, enjoyed it - and generally agree with the comments above... there were scenes were I just couldn't understand what was being said... and then they'd laugh like it was something funny... oh well.

It really is a bit 2001-esque as the ending is bizarre and then goes way off the 'suspension of disbelief' meter... I wasn't too keen on their explanations of a few things or the soppy sections but it didn't stop me enjoying the movie.

The setup for him going on the mission was pretty rubbish too, could've been done so much better than
"so glad you're here, come fly this ultra important mission!"
Also
that big wave was really awesome... but that guy really didn't seem to care too much about getting back on the ship... you're not the one going out to save the girl, start moving your ass back to the ship!
Mostly enjoyed Matt Damon's part too.
I feel like 4/5 is just a bit too high, but 3.5/5 is just a bit too low... so lets go with 7.5/10 :)
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:46 pm

Saw this on Saturday, enjoyed it - and generally agree with the comments above... there were scenes were I just couldn't understand what was being said... and then they'd laugh like it was something funny... oh well.

It really is a bit 2001-esque as the ending is bizarre and then goes way off the 'suspension of disbelief' meter... I wasn't too keen on their explanations of a few things or the soppy sections but it didn't stop me enjoying the movie.

The setup for him going on the mission was pretty rubbish too, could've been done so much better than
"so glad you're here, come fly this ultra important mission!"
Also
that big wave was really awesome... but that guy really didn't seem to care too much about getting back on the ship... you're not the one going out to save the girl, start moving your ass back to the ship!
Mostly enjoyed Matt Damon's part too.
I feel like 4/5 is just a bit too high, but 3.5/5 is just a bit too low... so lets go with 7.5/10 :)
Ya CB. a massive wave is coming and its obvious its going to fuck shit up and the chick is scrambling to get the data from the robot zzzz that bit made me so angry. Poor guy tho that died because of that stupid chick
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:28 pm

Ya CB. a massive wave is coming and its obvious its going to f**k **** up and the chick is scrambling to get the data from the robot zzzz that bit made me so angry. Poor guy tho that died because of that stupid chick
His death was entirely his fault, while the bot was rolling off to get her he should've been double timing it back to the ship.
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:35 pm

Enjoyed it. Bit long. Beautiful film. Matt Damon.

I thought the weirdest part of the film was Casey Affleck's character (Cooper's son). He becomes a farmer, but grows up to be: A brute, violent, and is stubborn to the point of his own family suffering. He lost his firstborn to the dust because he refused to leave his farm.

And yet, amidst this, everybody looks down at farming, including Coop himself, and Coop even makes a passive aggressive show at it *TO* his son at the baseball game.

It's just sort of a weird thing for the film to "back" because it is pretty much a rejection of blue-collar workers. "We look down at our place in the dirt." Well... somebody has to?

It just seemed an oddly class-focused thing to include in the film. Strike it out, you don't lose all that much. Casey Affleck couldn't grow up to be a decent man; he had to be a total luddite, who even his own sister was afraid of? Wha...? That same sister was saved from a similar fate because she embraced ess eye ee en cee ee SCIENCE!

Did anybody else find the representation of farmers a bit jarring? Like I understand the central theme is "we can't simply be happy with what we've got; we have to aim for more" but the honest reality of it is that this world, and human civilization, turns on the backs of people who aren't able to have more (another class reference to capitalism; the driver of exploitation).

Instead, Coop just of waxes poetic bitterly because the NASA space program, and the blight, left them behind.

The film would have lost none of its forward-looking impetus had they not turned Casey Affleck into this dumb caricature. So I find myself wondering: What could his character mean? I honestly have no fucking clue.

I thought the twist was too easy, and called it fairly early on, as I'm sure many of you did. It doesn't even take a nerd, because the second line in the film muttered is something like "there's a ghost in my room" and you instantly realize: ah, that's important.

I didn't mind all that much the "love is one of only two things that transcends time and space" - then again, I love reading Arthur C. Clarke, and in especially his later stuff he becomes all sentimental and gooey like that, even if it is not as outright explicit as it is in this film. It's relevant because this film is basically a reply to 2001, which was originally penned by Clarke.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:24 am

Tom was always positioned as being a bit of a luddite (for want of a better term) though. Bottoming out in school, no real drive except maybe to take over the family "business" so it doesn't really surprise that that's what he became. The farm and his family was all he really had, that's possibly why he was so defensive about it. He was a tie back to what Coop / Murph might well have been had other things not fallen into place.

And I think the positioning of farming as a lesser career in this film was deliberate. It was looked down upon partly because it was a means of achieving comfort over happiness for the main character (Coop). Coop "missed" his shot, but could still help out humanity doing something that ultimately he didn't enjoy, but needed to do it for his kids too. And Murph was far too smart to really be a farmer, so there was a larger calling there too.

The scenes of Coop behind the bookshelf were a bit meh for me. It tied the earlier parts of the story together, but was a bit mushy. What was he really hoping would happen? Except for getting all teary about leaving Murph? Which he really knows he had to, and had he not they'd both be stuck on the dying planet with no real hope? And he should've already known he didn't have an influence over her actions anyway (given all these events had already happened to get him there so he didn't affect the past with his messages). And what would it really have achieved? His "eureka" moment that he had to change the future not the past was clunky too.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Explaining away the only real portrayal of "poors" in this film as "he was positioned to be that way" is pretty bleh, to be fair. I think the better question is why is the only blue collar worker we are shown on screen positioned to become a luddite?

The film basically shows us this one poor family with a bitter father because he used to be "rich", but can't be anymore. Then he stumbles onto a super secret NASA facility right next door, and it turns out that they have a little ivory tower thing going on, protecting humanity "from itself" by not telling them where their tax money is going etc. They are positioned as the saviors of an otherwise dumb human race that will continue to look into the dirt. It seems a ridiculous notion, considering on the backs of humans in the most oppressive of systems often comes innovation and the real kind of life-drive that few stuffy scientists could ever hope to possess internally. I mean, even if you consider the gravity of the situation: mother nature is killing off humanity, and we just fought some big ass wars and now everybody agreed to stop; for a government agency to be shadowy about shit like that is just the kind of stuff we, as the common people, would fucking hate if it ever got out. How are we expected to root for that?

Yet, in Interstellar, we are.

Then the film goes and proves, within the film universe AKA what we are shown (and, by extension, what we are not shown) that indeed humans are fucking dumb because Coop's son would rather kill off own family to protect the one tiny thing he has; its a forest and trees thing. Like, the film makes it easy for us to dislike Coop's son. But then you gotta ask, why is the film making it easy for us to dislike Coop's son, when he is the closest analog to what we are: The common people.

What the film basically shows us: "Look at the really dumb people. They need to be saved from their idiotic selves by a technological, and technical elite (see technocracy). Look at how fucking noble and glorious NASA is that they didn't orbital bomb during the war (?? they actually brag about this at one point as if it was brag-worthy). Only by re-accepting an ex-technological elite from his grubby poor lifestyle and his dumbass blue collar son can we hope to save the dirty poors because, damn it, they won't/can't do it themselves. We can't trust them to contribute." I found myself asking a lot throughout the film: they are showing us all these beep boop scientists in some boardroom in the middle of nowhere, and we're supposed to be all like wow! But why the hell haven't they shown us a single other farmer? Why do we have no context for the lifestyle of people like Coop?

But then you realize the twist. Coop ain't one of them dirty poors who needs to be saved. Coop's context is shown to us in that boardroom with Alfred. Coop is not a "real" poor. Therefore, we don't actually see any "real" poors in this film (and yet the film is pivots on the idea of *saving* them). The closest we get is his son (who Coop is disappointed in), and he grows up to be a fool, which is stupid and insulting.

This film, while beautiful and at points gripping, is distasteful. In this case, Nolan positions us, the audience, to root for the tiny technical elite over the common man, which is just the sort of thing we probably should never, ever, do in real life. Coop is no everyman, and the only everyman we are shown, his son, is portrayed badly. I don't know exactly what the film is saying about class -- everything I've typed is just me guessing -- but it is clear there is a schism, and I think it is definitely saying something, something not very palatable.

I guess what it comes down to is that the mission to save Earth and humanity is supposed to be noble, something Coop is willing to sacrifice watching his children grow up for. But we're never, ever shown who or what they are fighting to save. Instead, we kind of just watch a bunch of scientists masturbate at each other over how brilliant and noble they are, and then listen to them wax poetic about love and dirt.

I mean, Coop's son, the dumb country boy hick, is who they are fighting to save!!
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:44 pm

review thread not discussion thread.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Discussing it in the review thread as long as it's on topic is completely fine
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:03 pm

Discussing it in the review thread as long as it's on topic is completely fine
It makes it extremely hard to enter a review thread knowing that it probably contains a fucktonne of spoilers. Reviews should be for the benefit of those that haven't seen the movie in question not for those that have seen it to discuss it. Especially as we are talking about a movie thats not been in the cinema's all that long yet.

-edit, Doesn't bother me really just means i'll have to avoid such threads in future.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:11 pm

Re: [Movie] Interstellar (2014)

There's a perfectly easy to use spoiler tag guys ;)
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Oh yeah - still means spoilers have to be announced and / or hidden - i agree on that.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:49 pm

Sry guys will spoiler in future, but Interstellar's kind of a can't-miss movie for most, anyway? Better on these kind of flicks to go in blind.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:10 pm

Lol petty it's trippy as fuck go see it. Btw the dudes didn't mention much don't stress pettles. Spoilers ffs
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Lol petty it's trippy as f**k go see it. Btw the dudes didn't mention much don't stress pettles. Spoilers ffs
Yeah for real I made a note not to spoil exactly *what* the twist is. KFC didn't really spoil it, either.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]