bittah.com!~ [Movie] Boyhood (2014)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:46 pm

[Movie] Boyhood (2014)

Boyhood - described as: The life of a young man, Mason, from age 5 to age 18.

And that's it.

The movie, starring Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke literally follows the coming of age of Mason. There is no extraordinary plot line, no unrealistic events - just the everyday problems experienced by an everyday family as they move through life.

So what's the appeal?

The movie was filmed over a period of 12 years. 12 years! Ellar Coltrane - began filming this movie when he was 5. The experience of following this boy as he slowly progresses through life is amazing to say the least. It's so subtly handled that the end result is you walking away feeling that you know these characters, that they are a part of your own life as opposed to simply part of a movie.

We start with Mason as a boy, doing what boys do best - ie running around and playing, and being taunted by his sister who is a few years his senior. His mum, Patricia Arquette, split up with his father, Ethan Hawke, whose time spent visiting his kids is one of the larger and most enjoyable parts of the movie.

The mum goes through several marriages, one to a particularly violent drunk, but is always there in the background for her kids, as we observe them go through school and on into college beyond.

It's really difficult to adequately explain this film, but clocking in at around the two and a half hour mark, it felt like it went in the blink of an eye. The acting is consistently superb, and the way the kids slowly age through the various stages of their life - it really is a unique experience.

There's a good reason that critics are absolutely raving about this movie and I honestly cannot recommend it enough. For a superb, completely relatable observation of everyday life, I'd give it 5 stars. I only hope now that they continue on with this, and cover the next 10-15 years, as we observe the young man evolve into adulthood and really complete the circle of life.
Deepjay
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:49 pm

will suss it out.
made me think of the up series
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:19 pm

will suss it out.
made me think of the up series
Yep reminded me of that too - cept not as...i dont know, creepy, as those docos - well not creepy, but they always feel super old fashioned and bizarre imo.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:21 pm

I watched one of this director's earlier movies over the weekend, a favourite of the Mrs - Before Sunrise. I have to say, I really enjoyed it. This guy has a very distinctive style, and it's so freshingly realistic - just an observation of life as opposed to a neatly resolving plot. Funnily enough, i've found that they really leave me thinking about various things, something i value when watching a good movie, or reading a good book. But of course, Before Sunrise is a romance, so likely not of interest to many here.

There were two follow-ups - each set 10 years apart, and I really cant wait to see them now, just from a life's progression point of view. I think it resonates with me a little more as with the third one, they'll be around the same age as me now - or perhaps a little older, but it's very relatable.

Oh and a little bit of random info I read about the inspiration for Before Sunrise. The director actually met a girl in an American city, much like the couple meet in this movie, and they walked around the city and talked all day - not unlike the movie. Unlike the movie, he kept in touch with this girl over the next few years on and off, before finally never hearing from her again. He then found out, years later, and before this movie was released, that the girl had died in a car accident. Quite moving in its own way.
Deepjay

[ignore]